Wifi Speed Troubleshooting

Spartan.PC

Hey all,

I have recently been trying to chase down why I am not getting the speeds I am paying for from my ISP. I pay for 600mbps and when using SpeedTest.net I can only ever get 200mbps at the most but usually around 150-180mbps.

I checked the network adapter through windows and it says that I am receiving the correct speed (see attached) with that I would assume that the issue is on my end?

What can I do to try to get the speeds to where they should be, I'm not complaining about 200mbps, but I don't want to be paying for 600mbps when I can only realistically get 200mbps.

System Specs:

Intel 4790k

Asus Z97-Deluxe

16gb G.Skill RAM

Nvidia GTX 780

Modem: Netgear CM1000

Router: Netgear Nighthawk AC1750

Wifi Speeds 800.JPG

Based on your speeds, you're connected to 2.4ghz,  you almost never will get above about 250 mbps even directly at the router. You will need to connect to a 5ghz network to achieve speeds closer to your ISP. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

8 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Based on your speeds, you're connected to 2.4ghz,  you almost never will get above about 250 mbps even directly at the router. You will need to connect to a 5ghz network to achieve speeds closer to your ISP. 

I am connected to the 5ghz network. My router has a 2.4ghz, 5ghz, and a 5ghz Guest network. I am 100% connected to the 5ghz network.

31 minutes ago, Spartan.PC said:

Wifi Speeds 800.JPG

Is that speed test that you’re showing us on the right done through the modem or router?

Have you tried testing the speeds while directly connected to the modem or router with ethernet? Do you notice a difference?

Are you sure there are no other devices on your network actively downloading while these tests are being performed? No background downloads on your own PC?

6 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Is that speed test that you’re showing us on the right done through the modem or router?

Have you tried testing the speeds while directly connected to the modem or router with ethernet? Do you notice a difference?

Are you sure there are no other devices on your network actively downloading while these tests are being performed? No background downloads on your own PC?

The test is being done over WiFi as that’s what my computer is run on currently. Unfortunately, I do not have a cable long enough to go wired with Ethernet. Though the PC is only approx 15-20ft away from the router. I should be getting the advertised speeds even over WiFi though, sure there might be some loss due to hardware but when paying for 600mbps getting 200mbps isn’t acceptable. 

As far as other devices, I thought the same thing. So I moved everything other than my PC over to the Guest 5ghz network and only connected my PC to the main 5ghz network. That bumped the speeds maybe 10mbps, so really not much gain.

2 minutes ago, Spartan.PC said:

sure there might be some loss due to hardware but when paying for 600mbps getting 200mbps isn’t acceptable. 

It doesn’t have to be a hardware limitation. It can be due to interference.

How many walls/floors are between the computer and the wireless router? Are there any other active appliances or electronics in between this path?

Download and run WiFi Analyzer. Post screenshots of the ‘Analyze’ page (for 2.4GHz and 5GHz).

21 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

It doesn’t have to be a hardware limitation. It can be due to interference.

How many walls/floors are between the computer and the wireless router? Are there any other active appliances or electronics in between this path?

Download and run WiFi Analyzer. Post screenshots of the ‘Analyze’ page (for 2.4GHz and 5GHz).

No walls and no floors between PC and router. They are both in my living room. I also have my TV with Fire Stick plugged in and my Xbox One X in the same room, but that’s about it. I will download the analyzer and post results.

Here are the results from the analyzer. Looks like that is saying that I'm getting the correct speeds, so why would speedtest only show ~200mbps?

11 minutes ago, Spartan.PC said:

Here are the results from the analyzer.

Please remove that image urgently; it contains your public IP address.

52 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Post screenshots of the ‘Analyze’ page (for 2.4GHz and 5GHz).

Please re-read what was asked for.

12 minutes ago, Spartan.PC said:

Looks like that is saying that I'm getting the correct speeds, so why would speedtest only show ~200mbps?

That is the wireless link speed within your home. SpeedTest measures your speed from the modem to a server on the internet.

3 minutes ago, Spartan.PC said:

5ghz.JPG

Your 2.4GHz spectrum is crowded and no amount of channel shifting is going to help. Best advice here is to move as many of your wireless clients off of 2.4GHz and onto 5GHz. This obviously won’t work for legacy devices that only have a 2.4GHz antenna, but hopefully, these are low priority devices that don’t care too much about speed.

4 minutes ago, Spartan.PC said:

2.4ghz.JPG

So there’s a problem here, too. You are sharing the same 5GHz channel with 2 other networks. Set your 5GHz antenna to use channel 52 - 68 (inclusive); whatever your wireless router will allow you to choose. If Netgear won’t allow you to choose one of them, try channel 161 - 165 (inclusive).

Okay so my 2.4Ghz network is set to "auto" for channel. When I tried to change my 5Ghz to 52-68 it said "You select a DFS channel, the channel will be changed automatically if any Radar is detected." I do also have the ability to set the channel to 161. Which would you recommend?

Also just so I can continue to monitor, I'm assuming the different colors on the graph represent other networks near me on that channel? So I am looking for a channel that is less crowded? Are there any channels that would be bad to use?

Okay, now I ran the test again and I got 50mbps.... All I did what change to channel 161 on my 5Ghz network

37 minutes ago, Spartan.PC said:

Okay, now I ran the test again and I got 50mbps.... All I did what change to channel 161 on my 5Ghz network

Reboot the router and run the speed test again.

BTW, you haven't removed the first image I mentioned before.

On 11/3/2020 at 8:27 PM, Falcon1986 said:

Removed the image, thanks!

I have tried moving channels around and I reboot the router each time. Still not getting anywhere near the speeds I'm paying for, and every other channel I have tried has been >100mbps.

Would my best bet be to just not pay for as much speed? Or should I call and complain to the ISP and let them try to figure it out?

On 11/3/2020 at 8:27 PM, Falcon1986 said:

Have tried this multiple times now with many different channels and I am getting ~20-50mbps download now.

After doing some research, I found that the Netgear QoS settings usually cause more harm than good. This is true, I was able to disable all the QoS settings and I am back at my original 200mbps DL speed. Still not the 600 I am paying for but much better than the 50 I was getting with QoS.

1 hour ago, Spartan.PC said:

After doing some research, I found that the Netgear QoS settings usually cause more harm than good. This is true, I was able to disable all the QoS settings and I am back at my original 200mbps DL speed. Still not the 600 I am paying for but much better than the 50 I was getting with QoS.

Good to know!

200Mbps looks to be the average speed on 5GHz for your wireless router. Seems like a hardware limitation.

2 hours ago, Spartan.PC said:

Would my best bet be to just not pay for as much speed? Or should I call and complain to the ISP and let them try to figure it out?

That's to to you. But the limitation is not your ISP. You can probably get improved wireless performance with an access point upgrade.

On 11/5/2020 at 6:02 PM, Falcon1986 said:

Seems like a hardware limitation

https://www.ca.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R6700.aspx

That is the router I have, it clearly states that the 5Ghz band should be capable of 1300mbps. Netgear won't help other than "turn it off and back on" unless I pay for "advanced help" which he said they would probably try to move channels.

My best guess is that because I am in a condo complex and there are a lot of other networks, its just crowded.

Netgear did mention that I could get a full refund of the Advanced Help if they are not able to resolve my problem, so maybe I'll take them up on that.

6 hours ago, Spartan.PC said:

That is the router I have, it clearly states that the 5Ghz band should be capable of 1300mbps.

This advertised speed is a theoretical maximum; under perfect lab conditions. Real world speed is different as you can see in that article I linked to earlier.

What you're trying to do now is optimize as many settings as you can to get as close to the maximum as possible. Can you repost the new 5GHz WiFi Analyzer screenshot with the new setting changes? Also, share the screenshot of the WiFi settings on your R6700 (i.e. advanced settings). Please obfuscate any passwords or identifying information.

6 hours ago, Spartan.PC said:

My best guess is that because I am in a condo complex and there are a lot of other networks, its just crowded.

That isn't surprising given your 2.4GHz output. But you should be able to use 5GHz without much issue.

These are the new analyzer and my router settings.

I'm assuming that is what you wanted for the settings?

I also have all QoS settings disabled. Except for WMM (Wifi Multimedia) that is enabled on both 2.4 and 5Ghz.

New 5Ghz Analyzer.png

Wifi Config.png

Wifi Settings.png

16 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Looks OK.

Still only getting 200mbps DL when doing a Speedtest but I think I’m just gonna accept that fact and move on. I think I’ve done enough troubleshooting. 

If I get annoyed enough, I might take Netgear up on their “if we don’t fix it you get your money back” deal.

Can you think of any reason that when I run a Speedtest and it gets to the upload it kills my WiFi? When I was re testing the speeds, every time I tested it would be great then as soon as it went to do the upload my WiFi would die completely. 

48 minutes ago, Spartan.PC said:

Still only getting 200mbps DL when doing a Speedtest but I think I’m just gonna accept that fact and move on. I think I’ve done enough troubleshooting. 

I’ll refer you back to the article I linked to earlier. 200Mbps on 5GHz is actually what is seen in real-world tests of the R6400. In the perfect lab environment it might be able to perform better, but no one’s house is set up like a lab! Unfortunately, the advertised speeds that wireless router manufacturers use is only in the perfect environment, which is misleading, but then again, they can’t account for all obstructions/interference that a typical home user might be faced with.

If your wireless router had support for MU-MIMO and higher channel widths (e.g. 40MHz, 80MHz or even 160MHz), you might be able to squeeze a bit more wireless speed out of it on stock firmware, but you’d still need compatible client devices with adapters that support these as well.

What speeds do you get if wired in over ethernet? Provided no other device is consuming bandwidth in the background, you should be able to achieve your full 600Mbps download speed because LAN-to-WAN throughput averages around 700-800Mbps in real-world tests.

In the end, if you can live with these speeds on WiFi and wire in as many devices as possible via ethernet, you can get your money’s worth from a 600Mbps internet connection. You’re free to experiment with 3rd-party firmware (e.g. DD-WRT, Tomato/forks) to see if performance is better on the R6400, but keep in mind that hardware acceleration is usually only available in stock firmware. On the other hand, if all you use is WiFi, maybe it’s time for an upgrade.