New video/photo edit build help

Go to solution Solved by GhostRoadieBL,

this is a well balanced option for your needs, 

the 3600 is going to be replaced by the 5000 series soon so you may be able to get a 3600x for the same price depending on how AMD's release goes for a bit more speed. 

16GB of RAM will be more than enough for most 4k projects until you get into the hour+ long timelines with a bunch of clips

1TB NVME SSD will work as your scratch disk and program disk, will be a major upgrade from what you are running now

2TB seagate HDD gives you a starting point for a larger archive of old footage

2060 is the first step into RTX and dedicated AI cores for some of the upcoming features in most software, it's a monster upgrade from the 610 you are running now (which is also likely the biggest bottleneck causing poor performance in your current system)

pretty standard case, it's a good layout for building in and has a little extra space for potential upgrades down the line without taking up a whole desk. 

PSU will be more than enough, the system should be in the 375watt range according to pcpartpicker so there's room to grow and the PSU is right in the highest efficiency range. 

monitor wise

https://www.amazon.se/dp/B07GLR6RQF/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=4k+monitor+rec&qid=1604433368&sr=8-2

would be my top recommendation but it's pricy, a 1440p colour accurate display is more cost effective but I wouldn't give up 4k. it's almost worth editing on your current monitor and proofing on a decent 4k TV after calibrating it for colour. Really depends on what you are needing the colour accuracy for, online media vs TV media or if rec702 is a priority over sRGB being close enough. 

Hi everybody!

I'm currently studying digital content design (video/image/2d/3d, very versatile) and my current build is struggling a lot with Adobe CC's software suit; especially After Effects and Premiere Pro, when creating 3D animations and editing 4k footage. There's also slowdown/lag with high res images and heavy documents in Photoshop and Illustrator.

My current build consists of parts which are about 8 years old, some way older since the gpu, psu and mobo gave up at one point and the current ones are salvaged from an even earlier build. So I wouldn't be surprised if my current build doesn't make much sense.

But it's time to move on and upgrade since it's now holding me back. 

Current build:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50GHz

GPU: Asus GeForce GT 610 1GB

MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V LK

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 

PSU: Corsair VX550W

SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Cooler: Antec Kuhler H2O 620

Case: BitFenix Shinobi

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 24" LED 1080

I'm looking for: A PC build that can handle all types of visual and content creation; video, image, 3D, animation, 4k, raw etc. You name it. 

Nothing from the old build will be saved, I'm looking for a completely new build.

I never game, it will purely be a working horse running content creation software (Adobe CC etc). 

I do not care for gaming esthetics (black, rgb lights, windowed case), I prefer simple and clean.

1 SSD for the OS and 1 HDD for storage. 

Speed and efficiency.

Budget: 10 000 SEK = 1131 USD

Aim: 3D, animation, video and photo editing, vector graphics etc in softwares such as Adobe CC AE, PR, AI, PS.

My current build struggles a lot when it comes to 3D animation, 4k footage, high res images and heavy documents, pretty much everything in other words.

Monitors: For starters I will only run 1 monitor and aim for 4k res, but I'd like to be able to run 2 monitors in the future when I have enough desk space. 

Peripherals: Atm my budget is probably only enough for computer parts, but later on I also plan to purchase a new monitor. Monitor suggestions would therefore be appreciated as well, something suitable for editing with accurate colors, a 4k 27" IPS panel maybe.

Mouse, keyboard and OS is taken care of.

Why upgrade: I'm a digital content designer student whose current build is made up of 8+ years old parts and as I'm getting more and more into motion design with 3D and animated effects and the resolution of videos, images and documents increase, my current computer is coming up short, to put it mildly.

___

I'm uncertain when it comes to compatibility between components and I'd like to get as much bang for my buck as possible. 

I therefore reach out to you wise members and I thank you so humbly in advance for your advice and suggestions. 

this is a well balanced option for your needs, 

the 3600 is going to be replaced by the 5000 series soon so you may be able to get a 3600x for the same price depending on how AMD's release goes for a bit more speed. 

16GB of RAM will be more than enough for most 4k projects until you get into the hour+ long timelines with a bunch of clips

1TB NVME SSD will work as your scratch disk and program disk, will be a major upgrade from what you are running now

2TB seagate HDD gives you a starting point for a larger archive of old footage

2060 is the first step into RTX and dedicated AI cores for some of the upcoming features in most software, it's a monster upgrade from the 610 you are running now (which is also likely the biggest bottleneck causing poor performance in your current system)

pretty standard case, it's a good layout for building in and has a little extra space for potential upgrades down the line without taking up a whole desk. 

PSU will be more than enough, the system should be in the 375watt range according to pcpartpicker so there's room to grow and the PSU is right in the highest efficiency range. 

monitor wise

https://www.amazon.se/dp/B07GLR6RQF/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=4k+monitor+rec&qid=1604433368&sr=8-2

would be my top recommendation but it's pricy, a 1440p colour accurate display is more cost effective but I wouldn't give up 4k. it's almost worth editing on your current monitor and proofing on a decent 4k TV after calibrating it for colour. Really depends on what you are needing the colour accuracy for, online media vs TV media or if rec702 is a priority over sRGB being close enough. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Thank you so much @GhostRoadieBLI highly appreciate your suggested build and detailed insights!

I do however have a few questions;

1: I'm all in to start out with 16GB RAM but I'd like to upgrade to 32GB later on when my budget allows. I see that the MOBO has 4 memory slots, so I can simply purchase a second set of the 16GB RAM and plug in for a total of 32GB and it would work fine, right?

2: Is the cooler that comes with the CPU (I assume it's a basic fan) enough for this build and would said fan be noisy? I do prefer a quiet build if I'm honest. 

3: I read in the MOBO reviews that the board only has one system fan header, would that be enough to achieve decent airflow and cooling in the suggested case? I'm thinking if I would need more fans for a CPU cooler or so. My current build has 4 fans; front, top and two for the liquid CPU cooler (push and pull), probably overkill atm though. 

Monitor wise:

Damn! I'll have to make do with my old 24" 1080 for quite some time before I could afford a monitor like that, but I feel it'd be well worth it. About online vs. tv; I would prioritize the color accuracy for online media. 

Thanks again man!

31 minutes ago, RadillacVIII said:

I do however have a few questions;

Monitor wise:

Damn! I'll have to make do with my old 24" 1080 for quite some time before I could afford a monitor like that, but I feel it'd be well worth it. About online vs. tv; I would prioritize the color accuracy for online media. 

Thanks again man!

1 - yes you can just pop 2 more sticks of the same or even similar RAM to increase the amount, the board is rated upto 64GB of RAM so if you need it you can even add 2x16GB sticks for even more depending on your needs at the time of upgrading. 

2 - the cooler is perfect for the CPU, from all the builds i've done with any new Ryzen coolers I haven't been able to hear them even at max load on the CPUs with my head right next to the case. 

3 - there is 1 CPU fan header and 1 System fan header, CPU fan should be on the CPU header and if you need it I would use a fan splitter to split that one to the rear exhaust fan so they both ramp up at the same time, Sys fan header should be for a single intake and you'll have more than enough airflow to keep the system cool. You should remember it's a more power efficient CPU and graphics card so less power in = less heat out even when it has more performance. 

monitor - for online media prioritize 100% sRGB as there aren't many HDR or uncompressed online media sites I'm aware of so that will save you a ton on a monitor. 

something like this will do well, 10bit colour which helps a lot with srgb accuracy. 

https://www.amazon.se/Spelmonitor-Adaptive-DisplayPort-Blåljusfilter-Reaktionstid/dp/B075CQ5Z8R/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=4k%2Bips&qid=1604533425&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A20708079031&rnid=20708072031&s=electronics&sr=1-1&th=1

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Perfect! Glad to hear about the ram and cooler as well as the fans and airflow situation. 

Now that monitor sounds more reasonable for my budget and needs. 

Your knowledge and help is invaluable to me. I thank you once more and I will most likely go for the build you've suggested, as soon as I've received a long overdue payment from a client. 

I'll get in touch again if any more questions arise.

Thank you @GhostRoadieBL ❤️