Teardown, still under the radar

GrimOfDoom

Released 5 days ago, a game ive been waiting well over a year ago since I saw its earlier prototypes, Teardown is what I think is a technological marvel, and I am surprised about how many still don't know about it. It is a voxel world, yes- but it's is hands down no minecraft clone or relatively close (albeit, you can make your own worlds). Its 2 biggest and main features is that it is A, full homemade ray traced without hardware support (No RTX specific usage, AMD's upcoming hardware ray tracing, nor even DirectX Ultimate Raytracing). Second, it that nearly the entire world (excluding the ground, which still offers 2-5 voxels) is destructible. But not any destructibility, but physically procedural destructive. It is still early tech, so objects don't become physically active until they are removed from anything holding it to the ground (But any chunks blown off, those chunks become fully physically active). Mutual collisions are even active- so if you say, drop a tower on a house- when the two collide, both will become damaged and have bits or chunks breaking off where it takes damage (procedurally generated damage again, so there is absolutely zero model's predesignated to break just "here and here"). It contains a campaign mode, which a majority of the content is pretty much just a speedrunner's paradise, but sparse and few between several missions dedicated to actually taking down things (Personally, I stopped the campaign. I am annoyed of speedrunning type missions as I personally do not find them fun, and the lack of saving current state of mission to continue back in later is an annoying thing). But playing in sandbox is exceptionally fun time, and with added maps, vehicles, scripting from the community- it gets a ton of added content for free.

This game, I do not think will be the next big viral game- but if you have a computer of a performance level of a GTX 1060 or better- it is hands down worth it to try for the small $20 price. I still enjoy this game, and wanted to share, becuase the voxel technology is something that I can see games adopting in the far future as the hardware starts to outpace the software again- allowing truely destructive games instead of just "I punched here, place an alpha circle here and do a quick modify of the collision layer" (As seen in R6), as in this game- you can literally turn a floor into your new set of stairs. 

If you are interested in getting the game or more information, here is a quick link to the steam page

Steam page

There really aren't any games that become popular just because they're good, you need massive pr investments and some clever campaigns prior to release on "social media" or pretty much no one will play or know about the game. 

Now I don't know if that game had that sort of things but I never heard of it so I will have to guess no. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity