Artic P14 PWM vs Corsair ML140 Pro

I need a 140mm fan for my case and after watching countless reviews online I've come to find these two. The fan has to be good on delivering a static pressure, I've noticed that the artic is really cheap compared to the corsair but is it better? Price doesn't matter as fans arent that expensive, I just want the best performance so I was hoping that some of you out there could help me decide on which fan to choose. 

Udklip.PNG

2.PNG

6 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

P14 crush the ml140

Is that also the case when we're talking 120mm fans? Is the P12 any better than the Ml120pro

1 minute ago, Rothhaus said:

Is that also the case when we're talking 120mm fans? Is the P12 any better than the Ml120pro

Yup. 

If you want something that looks more premium you can grab the Arctic bionix p12 or p14. 

• 10 months later...

I'll just leave it here for future references, if anyone is still comparing those 2 fans:

I had 2x Arctic Bionix P14 fans, at certain RPM (50%+, and full speed) they emit a high-pitched, really annoying humming sound. I swapped them for ML140 (ML140 is louder (by louder I don't mean annoying humming) at high speeds, but about the same at 50-60%). I was a big fan of Arctic, but at the moment, unfortunately, I can't recommend them.

Arctic P12-P14 have a whine/ annoying sound at around 850-1150 RPM give or take depending on the each fan. Just setting up the fan speed curve to skip that RPM range solves any and all hum ( 800 RPM for idle browsing and while temp is ok , ~70c for ryzen 5000 for instance, and 1250-1300 RPM for Gaming, Work, when temp goes up ~85c for ryzen 5000 for instance).

Bionix is not the path to solve this, as it doesn't solve anything, u just give more money for less rigid frame. The only path to lessen this but stay with Arctic is to get their new RGB/ARGB versions which have a plastic ring around the impeller edges.

Or of course switch to a different fan, but don't switch to Scythe Wonder Snail (Liquid-Crystal Polymer sterrox-like, Noctua a12x25-like), because they have the same resonance issue (Which is also easily solve-able in the same way mentioned in my first sentence, but this is a path taken different from that, so I digress).

3 hours ago, narrdarr said:

My p12 or p14 have no whine at any speed.

welcome to the club, dear lucky extreme minority xD

It's a lonely (highly probably specific noise frequency ignorant/un-hearing) but fun club :), For instance I run Scythe GTs at @1000RPM, and it takes me max 10-14 days to get used to the ball bearing grind (which is so far detached from the majority demographic, that I might as well be Musk Mars Vanguard already living on the Dusty Red Bowl xD)

8 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

welcome to the club, dear lucky extreme minority xD

It's a lonely (highly probably specific noise frequency ignorant/un-hearing) but fun club :), For instance I run Scythe GTs at @1000RPM, and it takes me max 10-14 days to get used to the ball bearing grind (which is so far detached from the majority demographic, that I might as well be Musk Mars Vanguard already living on the Dusty Red Bowl xD)

Either way my maglev fan are way louder than the p12 or p14. Fyi the noise doesn't come from there bering in the arctic fans. It's from the motor

18 hours ago, narrdarr said:

My p12 or p14 have no whine at any speed.

I know that people dont like it. But either most fans make noises that people dont notice(my ears are too good) or I just have bad luck.

I have a P12 and P12 PWM PST CO that dont whine, two P12 PWM that have terrible whine at any rpm and two P14 PWM that whine at any rpm. My F14 PWM PST CO fans(i have 8) are dead silent. Noctua A15 HS, A14 and F12 make this loud vrrr sound even outside of the case at any rpm, support told me that my case has a front panel which can cause unwanted suction noise, really helpful btw.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

8 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Either way my maglev fan are way louder than the p12 or p14. Fyi the noise doesn't come from there bering in the arctic fans. It's from the motor

The whine on the Arctic P doesnt come from the motor, it's resonance between the impellers and the frame (due to the agressive small distance between them) and due to vibration of the impellers. The material cant handle the size curve and general design of the fan, they need (LCP).

Everyone's hearing is more or less sensitive to certain frequences, ergo, maglev annoys you and not resonance. and there's always variance between each fan.

Which is why everyone who can afford to should go Phanteks T30-120

2 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

The whine on the Arctic P doesnt come from the motor, it's resonance between the impellers and the frame (due to the agressive small distance between them) and due to vibration of the impellers. The material cant handle the size curve and general design of the fan, they need (LCP).

Yes i thinks this is true 

2 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

Which is why everyone who can afford to should go Phanteks T30-120

Or P12 ARGB 

48 minutes ago, NorKris said:

Or P12 ARGB 

Yeah they have a lot less resonance due to the ring around the edges, but it's still there, and u can hear it in machines & more test, the pitch is different and a lot more people will be able to tolerate it, but the distance between the ring of the impellers and the frame is bigger than on the base model so I'm worried if it's gonna affect the performance and well static pressure specifically.

On another note, the motor of the Phanteks T30-120 is just so much better and more advanced, it wins against Arctic P series hands down. It's based on the  new vapo2 bearing magnetic levation from Sunon.

It's the same licensed design like Corsair is using on the ML series (Sunon collaboration), only things I'm not sure about is if Corsair ML120/ML140 use the vapo2 bearing, and how much specific changes/improvements each one of them did. But it looks like Phanteks is a superior magnetic levitation implementation, due to lack of any of the specific noise issues on high speeds that ML series showed in reviews over the years.

It could just be the nature of Phanteks using newest stuff, and it's the same for Corsair ML released this year, or it could be Phanteks did better work in their collaboration with Sunon, I have no idea. It could also be just the resonance or fault with the overall design of the Corsair ML and limitations of inferior production material, and LCP solves that.

5 minutes ago, Dogzilla07 said:

but the distance between the ring of the impellers and the frame is bigger than on the base model so I'm worried if it's gonna affect the performance and well static pressure specifically.

its the same 😛 

But the performance hit is there, it is, but i think it has to do with the ring,   Blades = performance. Ring = not 

4 minutes ago, NorKris said:

its the same 😛 

Do you have some data for it ?, i don't remember finding the exact data or anyone mentioning it, but I might have missed it. I'm just going on the visual comparison and it looks a couple of fractions of a millimeter larger

Yes, I agree, ring = different airflow behaviour on it's own (60,70,75% of the hit) + whether or not the distance is different (the rest)

12 minutes ago, Dogzilla07 said:

Do you have some data for it ?, i don't remember finding the exact data or anyone mentioning it, but I might have missed it. I'm just going on the visual comparison and it looks a couple of fractions of a millimeter larger

Yes, I agree, ring = different airflow behaviour on it's own (60,70,75% of the hit) + whether or not the distance is different (the rest)

i only have nr from my own testing (P95, 3 times per RPM range. Same RPM vs same RPM, delta T after room temp. Blue is 1500 RPM, purp is 1200, tests done on a 5930k, 27mm thick AIO)

image.png.2d4fa1dbf4df66c7a878f7e25b27b959.png

The best fan is in these tests are the Coolermaster Fan from the ML240P AIO cooler. but after 1500 that starts to get RLY loud

and with corsairs QL as the worst

@NorKrisI actually meant about the impeller to frame distance difference between P12 and P12 ARGB xD.

Any data is always cool to see though, especially with cool designs, like the mirage fan with the frame as well!

Just now, Dogzilla07 said:

@NorKrisI actually meant about the impeller to frame distance difference between P12 and P12 ARGB xD.

Any data is always cool to see though!

aah.. i took a toothpick with some ELteip on it and felt the same resistance(?)  kinda felt the same trying to get it between 😛 

4 minutes ago, NorKris said:

aah.. i took a toothpick with some ELteip on it and felt the same resistance(?)  kinda felt the same trying to get it between 😛 

Oof, considering it's probably 0.2-0.6mm of difference max I don't know what I trust less, my eyes watching an uknown camera lens video 😛, or a toothpick (~1.6mm  size) xD, the difference is are so small, I hope someone does an accurate measurement in some review

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Dogzilla07 said:

Oof, I don't know what I trust less, my eyes on uknown camera lens video, or a toothpick xD, the difference is are so small, I hope someone does an accurate measurement in some review

spacer.png

anyways its time to say that the P12 is on 3rd place now 😕

16 minutes ago, NorKris said:

Do you know what diameter the toothpicks u used are ?

also P.S. wanted to add but forgot, LCP material does not seem to be the end all,  be all. Scythe Wonder Snail seems to have the resonance issue as well, and it's using the same sterrox-like material and tight tolerances, and it has a decent bearing fan.

2 minutes ago, Dogzilla07 said:

Do you know what diameter the toothpicks u used are ?

also P.S. wanted to add but forgot, LCP material is not the end all be all. Scythe Wonder Snail seems to have the resonance issue as well, and it's using the same sterrox-like material and tight tolerances.

like 1mm

Hm, well, that's definitely small enough for a good rough comparison. I'm not actually 100% sure how much of an impact 0.1-0.2mm differences would make for a normal type of plastic and fan design, as compared to LCP vs normal plastic, but both normal and ARGB P12 being under 1mm is definitely a good sign.

In Regards to the arctic p12/ p14. 

I was under the impression that the noise was do to the pwm speed/frequency/voltage(choose your term) sent to the motor, but it should on be audible at certain ranges not the whole speed range of the fan. 

I must have been wrong. But I still really enjoy enjoy the bionix and find them to be much better than my corsiar HD fans. 

Ps 

The new t30 fan seem awesome.