7-inch Second Generation Surface Coming This June

Jozi

1224-29c298fb_680_400.jpg

Shrunk Down Surface Pro

Microsoft could launch its second-generation Surface tablet by the end of June, according to a DigiTimes report, which cites industry sources. The report also describes the model Microsoft has in store for June as being a shrunk-down Surface Pro. The company is responding to demand for smaller tablets, and could lace its lineup with 7-inch and 9-inch models.

The second-generation Surface will feature a 7-inch screen of unknown resolution, with components sourced from the same companies that build the Surface Pro. The device will be assembled by Pegatron Technology, a major notebook and tablet OEM. Its chassis will be supplied by precision fabricator Ju Teng, with switching from Chungnam Precision Casing. Screens for the tablet will be sourced from Samsung and LG Display, with Corning Gorilla Glass. TPK and Youngfast will supply the 10-point multi-touch panel. Its CPU and GPU will be sourced from Intel and NVIDIA, tough luck for AMD and its APU and custom-SoC line. Battery will be sourced from LG Chem.

Given that Microsoft achieved only 1.5 million units in sales for the entire first-generation Surface family, partly due to limited market reach, Microsoft is treading cautiously with its second-generation product.

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/1224/7-inch-second-generation-surface-coming-this-june.html

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

Yes. All will be announced at Microsoft BUILD event.

I can't wait for Surface Pro with Haswell. I want to buy it now, but 5h of battery life at best, is too little for my needs. :/

I was waiting for keyboard with battery add-on, but it looks like I'll just wait for the Haswell CPU version. I need at least 7h of battery life (with or without battery pack, I don't care), especially that battery life reduces over time.

^That's my plan as well but wouldn't a 7" screen be really stretching it for the Surface Pro? The Modern UI would probably be still okay to use but doing something on the desktop at a 1080p resolution would be really difficult.

I think the 7inch will be for the Surface RT. Else, it will be 1376x766 resolution.

very interesting.....

looks good, but how will they squeezethe touch keyboard to 7inchs? might make a very uncomfortable typing experiene.

If it comes in june that probably means it will have haswell. YAY! :lol:

AMD FX 8350 8-Core CPU (Stock 4GHz) | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | (Rev. 4.0) | 8GB 1600MHz HyperX Fury | AMD R9 270 (MSI Gaming OC Edition) | NZXT H440 (White) | Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB (7200 RPM) | Corsair RM750m 750w Fully Modular Power Supply

Dell 23.6-Inch 1080p 60hz IPS Display | Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G502 Proteus Core | iSymphony Wireless Stereo Speakers | Windows 8.1 (64-bit)