Buying a CPU on launch

So i'm wanting to get a 5800X on launch day

how bad is it usually to get one on launch?

is it as bad as GPUs (I did manage to get a 3070 FE)

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

24 minutes ago, shaz2sxy said:

to be honest with you are going to have to bot. waiting for intel will drive prices down. their 8 core option is going to destroy any CPU in single threaded performance.(26% against Ryzen 9) and has PCIe 4.0 which is around 3-5% increase. intel is going to take back its crown. I'm kinda already hyped for alder lake where they will have a 10nm version which will most likely have 10 cores. this will force amd hand as most people game and claim to due work on their pc.

tldr: intel will force amd prices down

21 minutes ago, Cvet76 said:

I mean...no one can answer that until tests are out. Various diferent builds will reveal various bugs in the products if there are any. And there usually are. Also, independent testing reveal where you can save money by getting the exact product that's almost tailored to your needs and avoid paying more money for things you're not going to ever be using.
As with any new product, my advice and the advice of many other people is to be patient and see what it has to offer. If you've waited this long, you can probably wait a few days/weeks/months longer. If not, buy what's already out and is tested and has all the info you could possibly need.

Sorry I meant how bad is it to purchase one. Is the demand really high like gpu so will struggle to get one? 

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

32 minutes ago, shaz2sxy said:

how bad is it usually to get one on launch?

is it as bad as GPUs (I did manage to get a 3070 FE)

Well compared to the gpu's this launch amd has a more accurate demand to compare to and there are totally good offerings from both sides available currently so there is a good chance you can get one without much trouble. That is if the stock is doing ok and we have corona as a hinderance.

The gpu's basically are in this state due to rush to launch, bad 2000 series sales and not really great offerings for a good price before the 3000 series launch on the market for the higher end

1 minute ago, shaz2sxy said:

Sorry I meant how bad is it to purchase one. Is the demand really high like gpu so will struggle to get one? 

I am not sure how it will compare to the 30 series cards but if you want one really bad I suggest that you be ready to pull the trigger as early as possible

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

When is the embargo lifted for reviews on these

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

56 minutes ago, shaz2sxy said:

Demand will be high, but amd back in their presentation had a claim on one of its slides that the cpus were "currently shipping worldwide" so there's that glimmer of hope for stock to be good.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

This is a bit of hearsay but I was trying to find out which retailers were going to stock Ryzen 5000 here in Australia and someone on Reddit APPARENTLY spoke to someone they know who works at a local store that said you'd be lucky to get one on launch. Now whether that's due to Australia getting sucky allocation, I don't know but we'll have to wait and see. I know you're supposed to wait for independent reviews but the leaked results from testers seem to be hinting at AMD kinda telling the truth in their marketing. And I'm not really in an upgrade position as I have only used a laptop up until now and would like to build a PC. It's not so pressing so I'd have to run out and buy a 3900X right now. I can wait a few weeks but I'd really rather not wait and see what reviewers say and then be waiting until next year for stock to actually replenish.

I am in Canada, It took me a few months after intel released the 10600k to finely get one. I think it had more to do with the COVID, and border closures ect however then available stock.