Ryzen virtualization

Go to solution Solved by igormp,
3 hours ago, ISmokeAir said:

I have a laptop running a ryzen 4800h and I foul like run macos in a vm. How should I set up the cores? 6 for the os and 2 for the vm or 7 to the os and 1 to the vm? Also does ryzen have nvidia Optimus?

Isn't it a 8c/16t CPU? Let the VM use all of the 8c/16t and let the system schedule the tasks as needed between the host and guest OS. If you want to have the guest running at 100% and not bother you, then give it like 4c/8t.

You can use bumblebee to enable the nvidia GPU on demand, or take a look at PRIME.

I have a laptop running a ryzen 4800h and I foul like run macos in a vm. How should I set up the cores? 6 for the os and 2 for the vm or 7 to the os and 1 to the vm? Also does ryzen have nvidia Optimus?

6 minutes ago, ISmokeAir said:

well i suggest you dont do it it is very painful to setup and you have to have 2 gpus

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

5 minutes ago, mahyar said:

well i suggest you dont do it it is very painful to setup and you have to have 2 gpus

it might work if the laptop had a dgpu and a igpu.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, ISmokeAir said:

I have a laptop running a ryzen 4800h and I foul like run macos in a vm. How should I set up the cores? 6 for the os and 2 for the vm or 7 to the os and 1 to the vm?

That would depend on how much performance you need for the VM.

Also does ryzen have nvidia Optimus?

AMD has "switchable graphics" which is the equivalent, provided your notebook has a discrete GPU.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

11 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

it might work if the laptop had a dgpu and a igpu.

well it doesnt is a none g amd cpu

1 minute ago, mahyar said:

Dangit. I keep forgetting that not all Rzen has igpu.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Dangit. I keep forgetting that not all Rzen has igpu.

even if it had an igpu i tried to do so ( in an intel system) i was able to get mac os booting but gpu passthrough only works in linux and i was not able to get that working

7 minutes ago, mahyar said:

The 4800H is a mobile CPU, they all have integrated graphics.

So first of all, the laptop has 2 gpus. The igpu which is a Radeon something something and an rtx 2060. Second of all, idc if it's hard, that is my problem. Also I was asking if it has Optimus because Optimus is kinda not really supported on Linux because Nvidia. Linus (not ltt Linus) publicly stated that nvidia is a pain in the butt. So back to my main question, because 7 is an odd core number, does it affect performance or it would work fine?

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

AMD has "switchable graphics" which is the equivalent, provided your notebook has a discrete GPU.

Do this technology have a name? Do you know if it has support in Linux?

28 minutes ago, ISmokeAir said:

Do this technology have a name? Do you know if it has support in Linux?

From what I could find, AMD simply calls it "switchable graphics". On Linux this seems to be referred to as hybrid graphics. I've stayed away from it so far, since the technology as a whole seems somewhat flaky (at least on Linux).

I'm not really sure which technology you need to use, since you have both AMD and Nvidia. This might be a possible starting point: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/nvidia-xconfig-doesnt-do-what-i-want-it-to-nor-does-nvidia-settings/107883/7

As to number of cores, an odd number shouldn't really matter. I've so far always used 3/1 for host/VM. Since you have more cores, 6/2 might be a nice option to give the VM a bit more power, maybe even 4/4 if the host doesn't do anything else. You should be able to reconfigure this as needed when restarting the VM.

3 hours ago, ISmokeAir said:

Isn't it a 8c/16t CPU? Let the VM use all of the 8c/16t and let the system schedule the tasks as needed between the host and guest OS. If you want to have the guest running at 100% and not bother you, then give it like 4c/8t.

You can use bumblebee to enable the nvidia GPU on demand, or take a look at PRIME.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

From what I could find, AMD simply calls it "switchable graphics". On Linux this seems to be referred to as hybrid graphics. I've stayed away from it so far, since the technology as a whole seems somewhat flaky (at least on Linux).

I'm not really sure which technology you need to use, since you have both AMD and Nvidia. This might be a possible starting point: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/nvidia-xconfig-doesnt-do-what-i-want-it-to-nor-does-nvidia-settings/107883/7

As to number of cores, an odd number shouldn't really matter. I've so far always used 3/1 for host/VM. Since you have more cores, 6/2 might be a nice option to give the VM a bit more power, maybe even 4/4 if the host doesn't do anything else. You should be able to reconfigure this as needed when restarting the VM.

Thx for the info