3090 Not Able To Maintain 60 FPS At 1080p In Watch Dogs Legion

jerubedo
1 minute ago, Falkentyne said:

Sounds like a classic CPU limitation.  Increase res (4k is a lot higher than 1440p!) and FPS only goes down by 2.

Did you check the correct CPU usage%?

Please remember there are TWO CPU usage measurements.  Most programs check the first one, which is *max thread usage*.  That is, if a single thread is loaded at 99% and all the other threads are at 5%, the usage will be reported as 99%.  The second measurement is all the threads combined.  On an 8 core processor, if one thread were pegged at 99% and the other 15 were at like 5, I think the total CPU usage would be around 15%.

I have MSI Afterburner's RTSS Plugin via HWinfo64 set, via info, to show me both the max single thread usage and total CPU usage.

That being said, the option 'CPU Usage' in MSI Afterburner should default to the correct "Total CPU usage".

Yes, I've monitored each thread and the max loaded thread is 80%. Also, if it were a CPU limitation, the GPU usage would not be 96%. An example of a clear CPU bottleneck is in Flight Simulator 2020. In that I get only 45% GPU usage and only 45ish FPS. In that there are 2 maxed out threads, and overall CPU usage is 85%+

@Falkentyne I just re-tested 4K. I think I made a typo last night. At that same scene it's 35, not 45. I corrected that post with an edit just now.

10 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Yes, I've monitored each thread and the max loaded thread is 80%. Also, if it were a CPU limitation, the GPU usage would not be 96%. An example of a clear CPU bottleneck is in Flight Simulator 2020. In that I get only 45% GPU usage and only 45ish FPS. In that there are 2 maxed out threads, and overall CPU usage is 85%+

You'd actually be surprised.

Depending on the game engine, GPU power draw in absurd scenes can actually go down rather than up, that is, the GPU usage will remain at 99%, but the GPU wattage draw can go down by 100 watts!

In Overwatch, on Busan, this exact same thing happens on the map with the Korean DDR arcade machine, by the control point.  There is a blue transparent barrier there.  If you go there in custom mode by yourself, there is absolutely no performance difference from being there vs being someplace else.  However if you go there during a match with enemy players appearing on the other "side" of the blue barrier, your FPS completely plummets to the GROUND (at 4k (1080p @ 200% render scale), your FPS can go down from 165 FPS to 90 FPS!!!!!), the CPU Usage doesn't change, but the GPU power draw goes down from 400 watts to 295 watts while still at 100% usage!

I assume this has something to do with players or player abilities being shown through the blue barrier.  And it's not an Nvidia problem because the same thing happened on my Vega 64, just at 1080p (100% render scale) instead of 4k.

It could be something similar here.  I'm not sure.

2 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

You'd actually be surprised.

Depending on the game engine, GPU usage can actually go "down" in absurd scenes rather than up, that is, the GPU usage will remain at 99%, but the GPU wattage draw can go down by 100 watts!

In Ovewatch, on Busan, this exact same thing happens on the map with the Korean DDR arcade machine, by the control point.  There is a blue transparent barrier there.  If you go there in custom mode by yourself, there is absolutely no performance difference from being there vs being someplace else.  However if you go there during a match with enemy players appearing on the other "side" of the blue barrier, your FPS completely plummets to the GROUND (at 4k (1080p @ 200% render scale), your FPS can go down from 165 FPS to 90 FPS!!!!!), the CPU Usage doesn't change, but the GPU power draw goes down from 400 watts to 295 watts while still at 100% usage!

I assume this has something to do with players or player abilities being shown through the blue barrier.  And it's not an Nvidia problem because the same thing happened on my Vega 64, just at 1080p (100% render scale) instead of 4k.

It could be something similar here.  I'm not sure.

Oh, interesting! I'll have a look at power draw too, then! That might shed some more info on this.

@Falkentyne Okay, here's the data I've gotten.

At the wall:

- 579W while at a scene at 85 FPS

- 605W while at a scene at 55 FPS

So the wattage went up, but of course that's total system draw, so which component actually used more power? No way to tell

Software readings (Aida 64):

The 75 FPS scenario: GPU:353W  CPU: 110W

The 55 FPS scenario: GPU: 315W CPU: 150W

So according to software, a 38W drop, which sure does point to the CPU being the problem (a 9900K at 5.0GHz by the way). However TDP for the card is 350W, so 315 is then using roughly 90% of its potential. Something still seems off, though. In the 75 FPS scenario the card is getting .21 frames per watt, but the 55 FPS scenario is only getting .17 frames per watt. Seems odd, although software based reading of wattage could be off.