Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question About Prices in the Pre-Built Space

I've recently been requested by a friend to build a gaming PC -- nothing too crazy, "just enough so that Minecraft doesn't run like a slideshow" -- and they want to be certain they're not undercharging me for my work.

About what percent of a pre-built PC's final cost comes from the work done by the builders?

It'll depend on which builder. For a general idea find one, then go to pc part picker and build a list with the same parts. 

CPU I9-9900k, Motherboard GIGABYTE Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000mhz (2x16), GPU ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2070 8GB, Case Geeek A60 Plus, Storage CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR RM650x, Cooling Asus ROG RYUO 240, Displays LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch, 32 inch curved that I can't find the model number for right now, Keyboard Corsair K95, Mouse Corsair Nightblade, Sound AT2020+ USB Mic and Headphones

4 minutes ago, BerenElendil said:

I've recently been requested by a friend to build a gaming PC -- nothing too crazy, "just enough so that Minecraft doesn't run like a slideshow" -- and they want to be certain they're not undercharging me for my work.

About what percent of a pre-built PC's final cost comes from the work done by the builders?

Compare the list of components you intend to use to a similar specification pre built, use 2 or 3 different comparisons from well known suppliers. The difference should give you a good idea of what to charge.

A lot of it is the quality of the build. Is this some mass produced HP/Dell with cheaper motherboards, or is this a highly custom rig with nice cable management, water cooling ect. The more custom work done, the higher the end price will usually be.

4 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

A lot of it is the quality of the build. Is this some mass produced HP/Dell with cheaper motherboards, or is this a highly custom rig with nice cable management, water cooling ect. The more custom work done, the higher the end price will usually be.

It's a pretty baseline machine -- Ryzen 3400G, no GPU, the whole build will be about $400-450 for parts alone. I do still want it to look good, though -- I might do a bit of cable management.