Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1

Hipstair

I realize this may start a war, but oh well. From a feature perspective, which OS do you think is better: Win 7 or Win 8.1. I have used both of them and are comfortable with both operating systems. Thanks in advance!

-Hippeminecraft

8.1. I don't know what peoples problems are but it's super easy to use. No reason to downgrade, I probably will never go to 7 unless I have to.

8.1. I don't know what peoples problems are but it's super easy to use. No reason to downgrade, I probably will never go to 7 unless I have to.

Yeah I agree its super easy after reading about it for 15 minutes

-Hippeminecraft

I prefer windows 8.1, only because I am used to it now and windows 7 just doesn't feel right anymore.

I originally wanted it because I thought that the borders on windows looked much nicer. I wouldn't have ever gotten it for myself if it hadn't been for my friend who asked if I wanted to buy a windows 7 to windows 8 upgrade key from him for £25 (cost during Microsoft's promotional discount period).

I also like how fast it boots in comparison to windows 7.

I don't like how by default you have to set it up to sign in with a microsoft account but fortunately this can be changed by entering the system settings.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

What did you need to read ?

There's an pre-installed app called getting started with windows and I read it and it helped.

-Hippeminecraft

My favourite thing about windows 8.1 is when you copy a file, it copies rather than saying 5 seconds left for half an hour. It's quicker, cleaner and more useful. But I prefer 7.

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

for some reason windows 8 just pisses me off. there was nothing wrong with windows 7

Still learning how to play Dota 2 :)

Wait.....Are you using metro ? :o

I dont know it came pre-installed on the hp laptop i have

-Hippeminecraft

Windows 7 is my preference as well... Can't stand the two different interfaces.

Rig specs: 3930k | 32GB RAM | GTX580 | Asus PB278 | Corsair K90 | Logitech G700 | HD558's 

Why do you prefer 7 ?

I'm not normal in many ways. I use a while bunch of niche applications, some of which don't work well in win 8.1, the task bar seemed to interfere with the full screen of a few programs. A not so niche example is adobe digital editions, an ebook reader. Also cvt.res as well as one other system process smashed my CPU. 70 to 80 percent usage, I can just end the processes. But it was annoying

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Windows 7 is my preference as well... Can't stand the two different interfaces.

It's completely optional though

I prefer windows 8.1, only because I am used to it now and windows 7 just doesn't feel right anymore.

I originally wanted it because I thought that the borders on windows looked much nicer. I wouldn't have ever gotten it for myself if it hadn't been for my friend who asked if I wanted to buy a windows 7 to windows 8 upgrade key from him for £25 (cost during Microsoft's promotional discount period).

I also like how fast it boots in comparison to windows 7.

I don't like how by default you have to set it up to sign in with a microsoft account but fortunately this can be changed by entering the system settings.

Windows 7 looks ugly and dated now after using 8

Windows 7 looks ugly and dated now after using 8

I really wanted to say I prefer the sharp edges of windows 8, but then couldn't remember if windows 7 is rounded.

However if you think windows 7 is dated (which I agree with) then you will know the pain I feel everytime I have to use a windows xp machine at school ;'(

I really wanted to say I prefer the sharp edges of windows 8, but then couldn't remember if windows 7 is rounded.

However if you think windows 7 is dated (which I agree with) then you will know the pain I feel everytime I have to use a windows xp machine at school ;'(

We have p4 with 512 Meg's or ram at school with 7 installed the pain is real :'( I know the feel

We have p4 with 512 Meg's or ram at school with 7 installed the pain is real :'( I know the feel

Ouchie :(

My win 8.1 looks just like win 7.

I dont like that they try to force you to use the modern ui whenever you want to search etc. Most people that install Windows 8 try to get it to behave like windows 7 by adding the start menu back etc. So if I already have Windows 7, I don't see why I should upgrade to Windows 8 when i would just try to make it behave like Windows 7 anyways. :P 

Rig specs: 3930k | 32GB RAM | GTX580 | Asus PB278 | Corsair K90 | Logitech G700 | HD558's 

Once you get used to Windows 8 (without any tweaks) it really isn't that bad. And my PC boots faster with Windows 8.1 Pro than it did with Windows 7 Home Premium (about 30-45 seconds boot and login).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

8.1 no problems, fast, easy to use , just all round BETTER!

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Windows 8.1 because of the extra fps :D

But the windows 7 design is better though.

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1

I don`t like at all metro ui (this crap is for touch screens), I am using win 8.1 because its better for me. It`s lighter (eats less gb on my ssd), its more faster and I made it look exactly like win 7, so why not 

No reason why not :P At the present time, I just don't see enough initiative for me to make the effort to upgrade. 

If my desktop came with Windows 8, I would probably just deal with it. I'm thinking I will hold out until Windows 9 and see what that brings to the table... 

Coming from a desktop user: go for Windows 8.1, it's faster, looks better and has more features (i love ISO mounting build into the OS).

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

I don't even have Windows 8.1. But I see no reason to downgrade. Just deal with it FFS.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Let me put it this way, I'm a huge fan of the way 8 looks, and when i installed a start replacement, it fixed all of my problems with it. It looks so much cleaner, advanced, and modern. But if you currently have a Windows 7 computer then you should wait until the next version of windows comes out. 

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.