CPU underclocks instead of boosting, Laptop

Hello all,

I've been following the site for a while, I'm hoping I can get some extra thoughts so I can solve a problem that I have with my laptop:

Asus FX505GT

CPU is Intel Core i5 9300H
GPU is a 1650

The CPU idles at base clock after boot nothing strange; but when I launch a game, the Network simulator or the circuit design program or anything that leverages the CPU its speed drops to 0.79GHz and stays there CPU temp is at 50 C give or take 3 degrees accounting for reading software error.

Task Manager reports 33% utilization while Asus Armory Crate reports 100%.

This is a relatively a new laptop just about a year of purchase, I clean it monthly, i tried updating the UEFI and Drivers but still remains the same behavior.

some times after a restart this gets solved but is annoying as this affects no only the gaming experience but also my simulations for work; this is all with the machine plug to the wall

I attaching task manager screenshots for reference, I ran a Cine-bench R15 CPU test to reproduce the behavior and also an Asus Armory Crate capture on where I track the temps .

Aside from some extra ram and a second SSD is basically on stock settings.

Any suggestion and comment is appreciated.

Thanks In advance

Idle.png

CinebenchR15 running.png

Temps idle.png

Temps CinebenchR15 running.png

Is it possible that when you last cleaned it, did you unscrew the cpu heatsink? If so, perhaps you didn’t apply enough mounting pressure? But then your thermals aren’t that bad so I’m stumped. Perhaps it’s a bios setting for the laptop that got changed?

1 hour ago, Krakoby said:

Asus FX505GT

Some Asus laptops have a problem. They are setting the turbo power limits way too low. It might be their Armoury Crate software that is causing this. This results in extreme CPU throttling like you are seeing. This problem has been discussed several times in the last few days. 

Upgrade to Cinebench R20. It is a better real world test for modern computers. R15 is obsolete.

Thanks for the inputs,

I'll take a look to the mentioned thread and try run some tests with armory crate out of the picture,

R15 is what I had in hand so I used, haven't updated my toolkit for a while since I was busy working, will update the toolkit on my next day off

52 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Some Asus laptops have a problem. They are setting the turbo power limits way too low. It might be their Armoury Crate software that is causing this. This results in extreme CPU throttling like you are seeing. This problem has been discussed several times in the last few days. 

Upgrade to Cinebench R20. It is a better real world test for modern computers. R15 is obsolete.

Thanks a lot for the help and for pointing me to the resolution.

Now I can actually work instead of waiting half a day for just one simulation to complete.

Best Regards