Is DDU Mandatory?

Mikealongo

Im planning on buyin a 3080 when possible and i had read everything I could about it, and it seems that everytime that something fails someone recomends running DDU...

My question is, Is running DDU mandatory when upgrading from another Nvidia GPU, lets say 980 to 3080?

Does Nvidia Geforce Experience does it for you?

Im kind of lost because when I upgraded my 660 to my actual 980 i just changed the card itself...

I just think that requiere a 3rd party aplication to run the new GPU smoothly its a litle bit strange...

TY for your time

Mandatory? No. But if something doesn't work correctly it's a good thing to try.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

In my experience you don't need it if everything goes right. The problem is that if something goes wrong,(not the first time that would happen) the troubleshooting can get exhausting.

It just maked more sense to to this little inconvenience so you can spare you headaches later.

Not necessarily

It's more recommended for switching amd to nvidia or vice versa, on the other hand it's not that much more effort to put in to simply run ddu

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

30 minutes ago, Mikealongo said:

Im planning on buyin a 3080 when possible and i had read everything I could about it, and it seems that everytime that something fails someone recomends running DDU...

My question is, Is running DDU mandatory when upgrading from another Nvidia GPU, lets say 980 to 3080?

Does Nvidia Geforce Experience does it for you?

Im kind of lost because when I upgraded my 660 to my actual 980 i just changed the card itself...

I just think that requiere a 3rd party aplication to run the new GPU smoothly its a litle bit strange...

TY for your time

It's more of a just in case when you do it before the swap. If you didn't do it and just left the old drivers or uninstalled via the included uninstaller and things are not working as intended then ddu can usually fix that so you can start fresh. Other than uninstalling a driver it does nothing to make your card run better or anything.

The reason your 660 to 980 swap went well is because the 660 uses drivers that also support the 980. Usually swapping cards then is pretty painless but there is always a chance and it's nice the have ddu available so you can have a clean slate to start from.

So i should run DDU just before installing the 3080 and then let Geforce Experience install the latest drivers for the 3080?

It's not mandatory but its highly encouraged to run DDU when installing new drivers.

I'd say install the new card then boot once to make sure it works. then boot to safe mode and run DDU (make sure to check the box that prevents windows from getting a driver through its update crap) then reboot and install drivers from the GPU manufacture.

I've never used it and I've upgraded my gpu multiple times

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900