Does your CPU affect your GPUs ability to perform ray tracing?

Morrie Sells Wigs
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
49 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Yeah, I mean, as you say it's really not up to pushing out ray tracing...and i play at 1440p, so that would put it under even more load, wouldn't it?

I'm unsure what to upgrade to, vis a vis a new GPU.

Could my CPU do a 2080 justice?

Would anything from the new 30 series definitely require a new processor, do you think?

Why get a 2080? The 2000 series cards all kinda suck at raytracing to be blunt the 3000 series pulls far far far ahead of them. Also a 2080 costs about as much as a 3080 right now and sure you can't get the 3080 but just wait it's not like a 2060 is a bad card for normal gaming. That and currently raytracing does not do much in games other than oh look these reflections are accurate now compared to oh look those reflections look believable. It does have a good impact on lighting but really in most games it's not that big of an impact with the new consoles coming out we will probably see more of it tho but for now it's very much so a nice to have but not must have feature.

For the cpu. Totally depends 1440p 60fps? No problem. 144+ yeah that will be a lot harder for it.

Anyways tl;dr cpu is fine if you aren't wanting over 144fps and wait for the 3000 series to become available again as the 2000 series are bad for the price.

So, the title pretty much says it all, guys.

I understand that ray tracing is taken care of by the graphics card, but i wondered if there is any interaction between the card and processor, such that a weak(er) CPU will make it harder to allow the card to take care of the ray tracing because it's not powerful enough to do other stuff that would lighten the load on the GPU (allowing it to focus on the ray tracing)?

I hope that makes sense?

I only have an RTX 2060, so it's entry level ray tracing at best, and I have an i5 10400f, which i know isn't a top end processor. 

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated regards whether it has any affect, whether it is worth bothering with the ray tracing at all with my combination, stuff like that.

Cheers, in advance, guys.

7 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

So, the title pretty much says it all, guys.

I understand that ray tracing is taking care of by the graphics card, but i wondered if there is any interaction between the card and processor, such that a weak(er) CPU will make it harder to allow the card to take care of the ray tracing because it's not powerful enough to do other stuff that would lighten the load on the GPU (allowing it to focus on the ray tracing)?

I hope that makes sense?

I only have an RTX 2060, so it's entry level ray tracing at best, and I have an i5 10400f, which i know isn't a top end processor. 

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated regards whether it has any affect, whether it is worth bothering with the ray tracing at all with my combination, stuff like that.

Cheers, in advance, guys.

As long as the cpu can keep your gpu fed with data (which yours does plenty) it's good. The 2060 can do ray tracing but it really just isn't a ray tracing card. It is just simply too weak do to even low end ray tracing so basically it's ray tracing cores are useless part from helping in rendering tasks in 3d software.

58 minutes ago, jaslion said:

As long as the cpu can keep your gpu fed with data (which yours does plenty) it's good. The 2060 can do ray tracing but it really just isn't a ray tracing card. It is just simply too weak do to even low end ray tracing so basically it's ray tracing cores are useless part from helping in rendering tasks in 3d software.

Yeah, I mean, as you say it's really not up to pushing out ray tracing...and i play at 1440p, so that would put it under even more load, wouldn't it?

Would anything from the new 30 series definitely require a new processor, do you think?

49 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Why get a 2080? The 2000 series cards all kinda suck at raytracing to be blunt the 3000 series pulls far far far ahead of them. Also a 2080 costs about as much as a 3080 right now and sure you can't get the 3080 but just wait it's not like a 2060 is a bad card for normal gaming. That and currently raytracing does not do much in games other than oh look these reflections are accurate now compared to oh look those reflections look believable. It does have a good impact on lighting but really in most games it's not that big of an impact with the new consoles coming out we will probably see more of it tho but for now it's very much so a nice to have but not must have feature.

For the cpu. Totally depends 1440p 60fps? No problem. 144+ yeah that will be a lot harder for it.

Anyways tl;dr cpu is fine if you aren't wanting over 144fps and wait for the 3000 series to become available again as the 2000 series are bad for the price.

I would see what a 3070 can do in benchmarks, than try to get one, if you can pay 500 for it. or you could get a used 2080 ti for cheeper maybe.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Really, if your 2060 is preforming well at 1440p.... not sure why you'd get a new GPU for ray tracing.

Ray Tracing is neat for screenshots, unnoticeable when actually playing the game, from my experience with friends who have and use it.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I mentioned the 2080 as i expected it to be months before the 30 series became available in large enough numbers to go online and buy one whenever i wanted. 

I would get a 30xx if it were in stock.

I'm actually not hugely fussed about ray tracing per se, I just wanted to know if i could expect to take advantage of it with only having a 2060, and if my CPU woud make any difference.

I'm able to play most games on 1440p at between 80-90 and 144-160 on high or ultra.

Thanks for your advice though, Jaslion.

1 minute ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

I mentioned the 2080 as i expected it to be months before the 30 series became available in large enough numbers to go online and buy one whenever i wanted. 

I would get a 30xx if it were in stock.

I'm actually not hugely fussed about ray tracing per se, I just wanted to know if i could expect to take advantage of it with only having a 2060, and if my CPU woud make any difference.

I'm able to play most games on 1440p at between 80-90 and 144-160 on high or ultra.

Thanks for your advice though, Jaslion.

If your current card is plenty keep it. If you want to upgrade just wait longer the 2000 series is just a bad buy in general right now and the 3000 series will probably start getting in stock around januari. This launch was a rush it out the door one and that is blatantly obvious so basically 3-4 months after launch is when they will start catching up probably.

Just now, Dedayog said:

Really, if your 2060 is preforming well at 1440p.... not sure why you'd get a new GPU for ray tracing.

Ray Tracing is neat for screenshots, unnoticeable when actually playing the game, from my experience with friends who have and use it.

It's okay. 

I have a 1440p @ 144hz, and Fortnite runs at a rock solid 144 fps with ray tracing options on mid.

Stuff like Remnant, Destiny 2, Watchdogs 2, all run with high settings at good fps. 

I sometimes forget that I'm running everything at 1440p, and so everything is working harder than if i were on 1080p.

4 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Agreed, it wouldn't be worth it.

More just looking to the future and whether my current components are up to the job.

-> Moved to Graphics Cards

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv