LG Uplus and Nreal Create AR Glasses 'U+ Real Glass'

Ggunuaaaak

Summary

This news is a bit old, but this was the first time I took notice of the product. LG Uplus, their telecommunications division, cooperated with Chinese company Nreal (as well as Qualcomm) to create consumer AR glasses. The price is pretty steep, at $590, and availability is a big unknown, but hey, it exists. 

Quotes

LG U+, a South Korean telecommunications firm, said Tuesday that the company has commercialized the world‘s first 5G-based augmented reality glass solutions.

The wearable device named LG U+ Real Glass is supported by smart glasses provided by mixed-reality product developer Nreal and chipmaker Qualcomm, according to the telecom firm.

My thoughts

It's a weird product. It looks janky, it probably isn't worth the money, but it's also stupidly interesting. Also, it flew under the radar like a stealth bomber.

Sources

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200811000779

https://www.vrfocus.com/2020/08/nreals-consumer-ar-glasses-now-available-in-south-korea-through-lg-uplus/

realglass3.jpg

realglass2.jpeg

realglass1.jpg

looks... gimmicky. 

Neat but just not for me

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1