Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My first build from scratch

Preface: I understand there is a sub form for builds, but I haven't even gotten to that level yet.

I have always messed with pre-builts doing upgrades and now want to build one from scratch using a gutted Apple G5 case ( I realize heavy modifications will have to be made). 

I'm not real current on newer hardware, or even worked out a budget yet. To help get a starting point on a budget, what would be a be a good all around Intel based motherboard and CPU that would be good for gaming and daily use? It doesn't has to be blazing fast, just dependable. Once I get an idea of a MB and CPU combination, I can get a starting point for further research, a budget and move on to the Build sub form.  I realize this can be a very vague question, but I'm at a loss on the newer hardware.

7 minutes ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

Preface: I understand there is a sub form for builds, but I haven't even gotten to that level yet.

I have always messed with pre-builts doing upgrades and now want to build one from scratch using a gutted Apple G5 case ( I realize heavy modifications will have to be made). 

I'm not real current on newer hardware, or even worked out a budget yet. To help get a starting point on a budget, what would be a be a good all around Intel based motherboard and CPU that would be good for gaming and daily use? It doesn't has to be blazing fast, just dependable. Once I get an idea of a MB and CPU combination, I can get a starting point for further research, a budget and move on to the Build sub form.  I realize this can be a very vague question, but I'm at a loss on the newer hardware.

Perhaps this should have been placed in the sub-forum for Case modding? 

You are right with extensive modification of the chassis of a Apple G5 case. There are conversion kits out there, especially from The Laser Hive that offers solutions (you still gotta cut the case). I've been slowly gathering supplies for a Apple Mac Pro PC case as I have the mATX conversion kit and ATX cutout from the company but the only other problem is the front panel I/O. This company does offer a front panel I/O to go with any case (Mac Pro or G5). 

For an Intel system, I would put a 10600k and a Z490 motherboard in paired with 16GB DDR4 3200. 

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  |  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200  |  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  |  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  |  HDD:2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  |  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  |  PSU: EVGA P2 850W  |  Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB  |  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches  |  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended  |  MonitorMSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27" 

11 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Perhaps this should have been placed in the sub-forum for Case modding? 

You are right with extensive modification of the chassis of a Apple G5 case. There are conversion kits out there, especially from The Laser Hive that offers solutions (you still gotta cut the case). I've been slowly gathering supplies for a Apple Mac Pro PC case as I have the mATX conversion kit and ATX cutout from the company but the only other problem is the front panel I/O. This company does offer a front panel I/O to go with any case (Mac Pro or G5). 

For an Intel system, I would put a 10600k and a Z490 motherboard in paired with 16GB DDR4 3200. 

Yes, I have actually already visited the Laser Hive site for at least that part of a budget. Not bad... For $175 shipped, they offer a complete ATX conversation kit. Thank you for the recommendations.

1 minute ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

Yes, I have actually already visited the Laser Give site for at least that part of a budget. Not bad... For $175 shipped, they offer a complete ATX conversation kit. Thank you for the recommendations.

Its a nice kit, I just have to buy the front panel I/O for mine to convert. I was going to attempt to try and keep at least the original power button and light but I think I'll cough up the money just to convert it all to something that would fit. 

Its expensive but worth the money as the kit feels like quality. 

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  |  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200  |  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  |  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  |  HDD:2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  |  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  |  PSU: EVGA P2 850W  |  Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB  |  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches  |  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended  |  MonitorMSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27" 

6 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

If you're looking for something cheap, you can easily grab an i3 9100F and a B/H series board for around 130$ total

$100-110 at micro center, they give you $20 off if you get a CPU and compatible motherboard.

Edited by Aereldor

ALIENWARE 13R3

i7-7700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB NVMe SSD | 1440p OLED display | Logitech MX Master KZ ZSA

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

they give you $200 off if you get a CPU and compatible motherboard.

That doesn't sound correct. By that logic the motherboard and CPU are free.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

That doesn't sound correct. By that logic the motherboard and CPU are free.

$20* off, obvious typo

ALIENWARE 13R3

i7-7700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB NVMe SSD | 1440p OLED display | Logitech MX Master KZ ZSA