My first build from scratch

Rocketdog2112

Preface: I understand there is a sub form for builds, but I haven't even gotten to that level yet.

I have always messed with pre-builts doing upgrades and now want to build one from scratch using a gutted Apple G5 case ( I realize heavy modifications will have to be made). 

I'm not real current on newer hardware, or even worked out a budget yet. To help get a starting point on a budget, what would be a be a good all around Intel based motherboard and CPU that would be good for gaming and daily use? It doesn't has to be blazing fast, just dependable. Once I get an idea of a MB and CPU combination, I can get a starting point for further research, a budget and move on to the Build sub form.  I realize this can be a very vague question, but I'm at a loss on the newer hardware.

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

7 minutes ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

Preface: I understand there is a sub form for builds, but I haven't even gotten to that level yet.

I have always messed with pre-builts doing upgrades and now want to build one from scratch using a gutted Apple G5 case ( I realize heavy modifications will have to be made). 

I'm not real current on newer hardware, or even worked out a budget yet. To help get a starting point on a budget, what would be a be a good all around Intel based motherboard and CPU that would be good for gaming and daily use? It doesn't has to be blazing fast, just dependable. Once I get an idea of a MB and CPU combination, I can get a starting point for further research, a budget and move on to the Build sub form.  I realize this can be a very vague question, but I'm at a loss on the newer hardware.

Perhaps this should have been placed in the sub-forum for Case modding? 

You are right with extensive modification of the chassis of a Apple G5 case. There are conversion kits out there, especially from The Laser Hive that offers solutions (you still gotta cut the case). I've been slowly gathering supplies for a Apple Mac Pro PC case as I have the mATX conversion kit and ATX cutout from the company but the only other problem is the front panel I/O. This company does offer a front panel I/O to go with any case (Mac Pro or G5). 

For an Intel system, I would put a 10600k and a Z490 motherboard in paired with 16GB DDR4 3200. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

11 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Perhaps this should have been placed in the sub-forum for Case modding? 

You are right with extensive modification of the chassis of a Apple G5 case. There are conversion kits out there, especially from The Laser Hive that offers solutions (you still gotta cut the case). I've been slowly gathering supplies for a Apple Mac Pro PC case as I have the mATX conversion kit and ATX cutout from the company but the only other problem is the front panel I/O. This company does offer a front panel I/O to go with any case (Mac Pro or G5). 

For an Intel system, I would put a 10600k and a Z490 motherboard in paired with 16GB DDR4 3200. 

Yes, I have actually already visited the Laser Hive site for at least that part of a budget. Not bad... For $175 shipped, they offer a complete ATX conversation kit. Thank you for the recommendations.

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

1 minute ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

Yes, I have actually already visited the Laser Give site for at least that part of a budget. Not bad... For $175 shipped, they offer a complete ATX conversation kit. Thank you for the recommendations.

Its a nice kit, I just have to buy the front panel I/O for mine to convert. I was going to attempt to try and keep at least the original power button and light but I think I'll cough up the money just to convert it all to something that would fit. 

Its expensive but worth the money as the kit feels like quality. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

6 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

If you're looking for something cheap, you can easily grab an i3 9100F and a B/H series board for around 130$ total

$100-110 at micro center, they give you $20 off if you get a CPU and compatible motherboard.

Edited by Aereldor

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

they give you $200 off if you get a CPU and compatible motherboard.

That doesn't sound correct. By that logic the motherboard and CPU are free.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

That doesn't sound correct. By that logic the motherboard and CPU are free.

$20* off, obvious typo