Looking for New Keyboard Recommendations

It's getting close to a year since I bought my first mechanical keyboard. At the time, I didn't have a very big budget since most of my money was going into my PC build itself. I settled for a $60 linear keyboard (Redragon K582). I thought at the time that I would like the linear feel, but over time I've discovered that I miss the tactile clicky feel when typing. I use my PC for school more often than gaming, so I want to upgrade to a keyboard that will be more oriented towards typing and less towards gaming. I've been playing a lot less keyboard/mouse games lately as well, so having a keyboard that will give me top notch gaming performance isn't that important. I've also been getting a lot of complaints from my family about how loud my keyboard is (not the switches themselves, but the sound of the plastic hitting the bottom). So I figure it's time to upgrade to a tactile keyboard that's a bit more quiet.

The keyboard I have been eyeing is the Logitech G815. I love the low-profile look and low key travel distance. It has a nice soft clicky noise, but isn't loud enough to be heard across the whole house. Does anyone have any experience with this keyboard and could give their thoughts on it?

While I do love the look and feel of the G815, I am open to other recommendations. My budget will likely be around $150-200. Ideally I would like tactile switches as mentioned before. Low-profile is also a bonus, and it HAS to have a num pad. I use it all the time and can't live without it. RGB is a nice bonus if I can get it, but if there's a better quality option that sacrifices that, then that's okay. Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations!

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

40 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

-snip-

I am open to other recommendations. My budget will likely be around $150-200. Ideally I would like tactile switches as mentioned before. Low-profile is also a bonus, and it HAS to have a num pad. I use it all the time and can't live without it. RGB is a nice bonus if I can get it, but if there's a better quality option that sacrifices that, then that's okay. Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations!

As far as switch recommendations, I can't be much help on that. 

If you're willing to have a keyboard that is an extra half inch taller look at the Corsair K95. It's pretty much as far as I can see(never used the G815) tit for tat with the 815. Same media controls and macro keys(if those are important). You can get it with different switches. All I can say is don't get the speed silver for what you want. No tactile movement with them, but they are super sensitive. You can get it with different Cherry MX switches though. I've had good luck with it for the last year. Hasn't let me down. Comes with a fairly comfortable wrist wrest. The big difference between the two physically that I see is the Corsair has 2 USB pass through plugs. The keyboard it's self has 2 plugs. One for keyboard and 2 for the "splitter" that's on the side. I don't use it often, never used it for data transfer or anything so can't speak on the actual speed, but controllers plugged into it do just fine as well as mice. Plus depending on where you buy it from it's right in the middle of your budget.

In my experience, I prefer the Corsair iCue to G Hub. 

Just my $0.02

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Razer Huntsman with the Purple switches. They have an optical activation instead of the conductivity of wires, I noticed a ~2-4 wpm improvement from a non-optical keyboard.. might be margin of error but I quite like the keyboard. I've also found that Razer Synapse has been my favorite between Corsair's iCue and Logitech's G Hub, it syncs with Philips Hue lights and I like the interface.

If you want some short travel switches, look for some speed switches.

If you want the quiet, look for quiet switches with dampers inside ... like the cherry mx silent red, kailh silent box pink or silent box brown (those are tactile) or the zilent from sealpc (those are also tactile)

I don't know how much it would cost in your country and with your currency but if you want tactile and silent I would get the gmmk barebone with the kailh silent box brown or the zilent switches.  If you don't want to bother with the gmmk ... you can try durgod or ducky, I think both can come with mx silent red, but those are linear tho

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

4 hours ago, Dr0y said:

I don't know how much it would cost in your country and with your currency but if you want tactile and silent I would get the gmmk barebone with the kailh silent box brown or the zilent switches.

Do they have an option for that keyboard that isn't tenkeyless? I can't seem to find one if there is.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

2 hours ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Do they have an option for that keyboard that isn't tenkeyless? I can't seem to find one if there is.

they have full size, tkl and 60% available. 

Here it is on amazon.com with gateron brown switches and stock keycaps.

https://www.amazon.com/Glorious-Modular-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B01D8YNJH0/ref=sr_1_3?crid=25AI91N525FJW&dchild=1&keywords=gmmk+full+size&qid=1603553236&sprefix=gmmk+full%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-3

It cost less than what I paid for the barebone only so that's a plus.   The nice thing about that is that if you don't like the gateron brown you ca order almost any switches you want ... just be sure that they are plate mounted (with only 3 pins on the bottom, the two contacts and one plastic central pin).  Maybe it will be just fine like that and you won't need to swap switches. 

Here it is on the glorious page.  You can customize it with the switches they have. In can come in black or white.

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-brown-switch

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD