Help me with Google Sheets please

Light-Yagami

Hello everyone,

I have a problem. I'm quite new to google sheets, having just recently started using Excel out of need.. and even thought the platforms are quite similar, they're not the same.

I have a horizontal row of 4 squares, filled with integer values. I need a formula to pick the biggest one of them. I know that it's the "MAX" formula. But. I need it to show the column name that is above those 4 horizontal lines, not the integer value itself. In Excel, it would be =INDEX(A1:A3,MATCH(MAX(B1:B3),B1:B3,0)), or so I think. I made up an example. But I hope you get the point. Please help.

Cheers 

=SUBSTITUTE(ADDRESS(1,MATCH(MAX(A1:D1),A1:D1,0),4),1,""

This should get you the name of the column with the first occurrence of the highest value from A1:D1.

19 minutes ago, elpiop said:

This should get you the name of the column with the first occurrence of the highest value from A1:D1.

I figured out what was wrong. Google Sheets does accept the formula, but you have to write an ";" instead of ","

That is all. Took me 2 hours to figure out, when I uploaded a working Excel document to Drive and opened it with Google spreadsheets - and it automatically merged the formula. Thanks for the help though, I greatly appreciate it :)