Windows 10 version 2004 Extremely slow after update?

shawnhui0612

Anyone else have the issue after updating to windows 10 version 2004 (after coming from version 1903) that opening application has become extremely slow? Google chrome takes a noticeable long time to open as well as steam etc. but thankfully gaming performance hasn't been effected. I stay on top of my storage devices and have pretty capable hardware in my laptop so it shouldn't be a speed issue...  if anyone has any ideas please let me know...

thanks...

Shawn

ASUS STRIX SCAR II

i7 8750-H

GTX 1060

16GB RAM

256 GB ssd (windows is here)

1TB hdd

Maybe just Windows Update Junk, running disk cleanup and optimizing your drives should help

37 minutes ago, DarknezVF said:

Maybe just Windows Update Junk, running disk cleanup and optimizing your drives should help

i quickly checked the built in disk cleanup app in windows and it shows that there's a folder called windows old that has the files of the previous versions of windows in it, u think that has anything to do with it (like should i get rid of it)? Also went through the drive optimizer built in as well think that should do the trick or do you know/ recommend any 3rd party software?

thanks for your help...

Hi, I always recommend using Built in tools, And yes remove all the junk files found in disk cleanup.

So sorry for the late reply

11 hours ago, DarknezVF said:

Hi, I always recommend using Built in tools, And yes remove all the junk files found in disk cleanup.

So sorry for the late reply

No problem, I've followed all yr suggestions and its gotten slightly better but not by much. At this point I'll take what I can get, do you have any other tips? If not that's cool, I really appreciate all the help. 

Shawn 

20 hours ago, shawnhui0612 said:

i quickly checked the built in disk cleanup app in windows and it shows that there's a folder called windows old that has the files of the previous versions of windows in it, u think that has anything to do with it (like should i get rid of it)? Also went through the drive optimizer built in as well think that should do the trick or do you know/ recommend any 3rd party software?

thanks for your help...

The windows.old is there in case you want to roll back to the earlier version you were on.  It is automatically deleted in two weeks or so.  My workstation updated last month and I did not notice any problems with any apps.  FWIW, my OS and programs are on a 500 GB SSD.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

On 10/23/2020 at 8:03 PM, Alan G said:

The windows.old is there in case you want to roll back to the earlier version you were on.  It is automatically deleted in two weeks or so.  My workstation updated last month and I did not notice any problems with any apps.  FWIW, my OS and programs are on a 500 GB SSD.

Thanks for the help man, I appreciate the tips, this is driving me nuts as my laptop feels so sluggish when I know it really shouldn't... also nice pc! have some similar specs on my pc at home.

Deleting windows.old won't make your pc faster, all it does is to remove the option to rollback the update, which would probably fix your issues... (as they weren't there before the update) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity