Dell G5 5587 power throttle limit

Go to solution Solved by RabbitPeper,

Answer turned out to be both stupid and easy - installing Dell Power manager and setting to Optimized or High Perfomnace

After owning this laptop over a year I've encountered the same problem a lot of other owners did - CPU and GPU power throttling. I've tried almost every method to mitigate it (Undervolt using Intel XTU, ThrottleStop; deleted Intel DPTF; liquid metal, so thermal are no issue), yet still I get this weird situation:

Spoiler

image.png.ec2cc30e11da30dde80d457246f10ec9.png

image.png.3e4ee3d323c363574c5885cc8c9dc8b1.png

Here full system info:

Spoiler

image.png.eb63a4080f10eee31dff0dedbe3eb439.png

image.png.a4d1f62d3da48bc54398939997270e53.png

image.png.3ef953d93e2e204cfecbb00fe1a4a062.png

image.png.b686f5ad9dec9f5a825da441dbc262b5.png

Power brick is what came with laptop, 130w

A there any other solutions to this madness or I should put roses on this laptop and save up for a new one?

12 hours ago, RabbitPeper said:

the same problem a lot of other owners did

You are definitely not the first person with this issue. No idea why but the turbo power limits are being forced to an insane low value. Either 5W or perhaps 0W. This results in constant power limit throttling (PL1 PL2) like you are seeing. The throttling is not CPU temperature related but it is possible that an external sensor somewhere within the laptop has failed and is sending a false signal to the EC so it requests maximum throttling. 

In the ThrottleStop TPL window try setting the turbo power limits to 60W for long and 80W for short. Also select the Lock option. The long Clamp box can be checked but leave the Short Clamp box clear. Press OK. Open the FIVR window and check the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box.

Intel CPUs use 3 sets of turbo power limits. This only takes care of two sets of these limits. The third set of limits that software does not let you access might be the ones setting the 0 Watt value.

13 hours ago, RabbitPeper said:

there any other solutions to this madness

The only solution is do not buy Dell. They have been using a wide variety of throttling methods on their laptops going back over 12 years. Software cannot fix the throttling method that Dell has come up with this time.

Try going back to an older BIOS. Sometimes you have to go way back to the first release. Use the Reset to Defaults option in the BIOS each time if you can change versions. A laptop stuck at 800 MHz in 2020 should not be happening. The last person to contact Dell about this issue got the run around. They got the usual response, "it is working as designed". Keep escalating this matter until you find someone there willing to take responsibility. Other manufacturers are not having this problem. Only Dell. 

18 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

You are definitely not the first person with this issue. No idea why but the turbo power limits are being forced to an insane low value. Either 5W or perhaps 0W. This results in constant power limit throttling (PL1 PL2) like you are seeing. The throttling is not CPU temperature related but it is possible that an external sensor somewhere within the laptop has failed and is sending a false signal to the EC so it requests maximum throttling. 

In the ThrottleStop TPL window try setting the turbo power limits to 60W for long and 80W for short. Also select the Lock option. The long Clamp box can be checked but leave the Short Clamp box clear. Press OK. Open the FIVR window and check the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box.

Intel CPUs use 3 sets of turbo power limits. This only takes care of two sets of these limits. The third set of limits that software does not let you access might be the ones setting the 0 Watt value.

The only solution is do not buy Dell. They have been using a wide variety of throttling methods on their laptops going back over 12 years. Software cannot fix the throttling method that Dell has come up with this time.

Try going back to an older BIOS. Sometimes you have to go way back to the first release. Use the Reset to Defaults option in the BIOS each time if you can change versions. A laptop stuck at 800 MHz in 2020 should not be happening. The last person to contact Dell about this issue got the run around. They got the usual response, "it is working as designed". Keep escalating this matter until you find someone there willing to take responsibility. Other manufacturers are not having this problem. Only Dell. 

Well then again it's dell, they have a reputaion Dell Community

4 hours ago, made zos ion said:

Well then again it's dell, they have a reputaion Dell Community

2 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Dell banned me from their forums. They did not like me telling their customers about these problems. Easier to pretend that problems like this do not exist.

Lol I thought it just me and ASUS

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

Answer turned out to be both stupid and easy - installing Dell Power manager and setting to Optimized or High Perfomnace

Huh.... okay......

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!