Can Not Find .kdz file for LG V40 ATT Android 10!

Greetings Community,

In the last few years I have fallen in love with LG phones. There are many reasons for this that I do not have time to list. I Originally purchased an LG V30 and loved it. But then a few issues emerged such as the headphone jack not working, charge port being extremely finicky, it not having been officially updated to Android 10 etc.

So, I purchased a GSM unlocked LG V40. What I didn't know about this phone was it was an AT&T GSM unlocked phone that (like other AT&T android devices) does not receive any updates at all unless it is connected through the AT&T network (which I confirmed through much research and contacting AT&T). I then thought it would be as easy as flashing the factory firmware on the device, but oh no; it was no where close to being that easy. After much difficulty with getting the correct and current DLL to work with LGUP, I then went to find the correct kdz file for this device. Only then I found that the android 10 kdz file for the AT&T V405UA was no where to be found. After this I decided to try to flash the Verizon variant for the V405UA only to find the error for crossdl from ATT>VZW.

So this is what I am asking/wondering:

Is it possible that anyone can find the Android 10 kdz file for the AT&T V405UA?

Is there another way to flash a factory Android 10 firmware/os to this phone?

What my phone is currently running:

Android version: 9 (Pie)

Android security patch Level: January 1st, 2020

Software version: V405UA20y

Model #: LM-V405UA

Not sure if @ShrimpBrime would be the guy to ask or not, maybe he would know who?

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

Just now, James Evens said:

There is a LG-firmewares website which is maintained by fans. To find your model use the model number.

Yes I have tried that if you are talking about https://lg-firmwares.com and as eluded to in the original post, there is only one and that is VZW which is not letting me flash to my ATT V405UA because of "crossdl" if you know how to get around this that would be awesome.

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

XDA developers are the go to guys. If the firmware is out there, they'd have it. Or at the least set you in the right direction.

My wife's also supposedly unlocked Tmobile. But it's only unlocked to carriers the are sub provided under Tmobile like Walmart family mobile once was. But no longer is. 

7 hours ago, James Evens said:

Isn't there a tool to modify the files? not sure if it was device specific or general purpose. There is also for some models the option to put the phone into a different mode and burn this way firmware.

I unfortunately was not able to find a way to open the kdz file as it was to large for note pad and I could not find any other application to try to open it with; even then once it was open I would have no idea of what to do or change.

As for flashing this to the phone, I was unable to flash the kdz file with any of the options in LGUP. Other than that I honestly have no idea what to do.

8 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

XDA developers are the go to guys. If the firmware is out there, they'd have it. Or at the least set you in the right direction.

My wife's also supposedly unlocked Tmobile. But it's only unlocked to carriers the are sub provided under Tmobile like Walmart family mobile once was. But no longer is. 

Ya, I think I will try the XDA forums tomorrow (as I do not have an account on there as of yet)

7 hours ago, James Evens said:

Take a look at QFIL. This is normally only used for unbricking and requires some files.

Ok, I will let you know how it goes

On 10/24/2020 at 9:18 AM, huilun02 said:

That would indeed be the the thread!

• 11 months later...

Did you have any luck? 

I assumed that LG made one V40 and each carrier had a different rom, which would listen to their bands only, to save power.

AT&T has ended all their good plans and has focused on the $30 per month and up, which is 3x to 4x more than I was paying for family and employee phone plans with usable but limited data. 

So, I want to flash my 4 lg v40 att phones to T-mobile, since the att firmware does not listen to band 71, which is the best band to have in most situations.

I learned how to use lgup and roms.  I assumed that you should be able to just flash any att v40 with a v40 tmo rom.  However, I get a cross error.  More research led me to qfil files and tools that make building your own Linux look like an afternoon job.

why the hell do people even buy phones from carriers to begin with? even after unlocking these there is still something left in the roms that just doesnt work right. just buy phones online and get the sim from the carrier of your choice. boom you have a phone where you can do whatever the hell you want to do and not have to worry about ohh this is locked to that or this is locked to this.

On 10/24/2021 at 3:48 PM, XG BC said:

why the hell do people even buy phones from carriers to begin with?

Because the carrier will finance them so people dont have to pay the full amount the day they get the device. Also carriers will some times run deals on the device so they are cheaper or free. T Mobile is giving away iPhones if you sign up for selected plans and stay with them for x number of months. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Because the carrier will finance them so people dont have to pay the full amount the day they get the device. Also carriers will some times run deals on the device so they are cheaper or free. T Mobile is giving away iPhones if you sign up for selected plans and stay with them for x number of months. 

yea true thats a point free always beats any price even if its so cheap. me personally, id rather buy a cheaper device and truly own it than being locked into a plan just for a cheaper price for a more expensive phone. maybe i am just old fashioned in a way then i dont like subscriptions for software either or leasing a car.

17 hours ago, XG BC said:

d rather buy a cheaper device and truly own it than being locked into a plan just for a cheaper price for a more expensive phone

I used to be the same way. Got sick of replacing the devices after two or so years. Like I would start having issues. Bought a $450 Android device and the same issue, after about 2 years. Decided to do the premium route, guess what....... Ive had my iPhone XR for 2.5 years, little to no issues. Each year Apple releases a new phone I reevaluate if I want to upgrade. The only feature I want is the MagSafe wireless changing but Im not willing to upgrade to get it yet. Ill evaluate the situation next year when the iPhone 14 launches. But I have a feeling Ill have my current device a bit longer. 

For some context, I did not finance my device because I wanted a lower bill each month. But I can understand someone wanting to finance for a premium device as they do make a bit of a difference. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

For future reference for anyone who finds this thread from a google search, LG does not release KDZs to consumers and IIRC they dont release KDZs for updated Android releases. You also cannot flash a different version/variant without making sure bootloader is unlocked and rom is compatible, carreer locked devices are not cross compatible to be flashed (and you cant unlock the bootloader of most).

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

On 10/28/2021 at 1:24 PM, Donut417 said:

I used to be the same way. Got sick of replacing the devices after two or so years. Like I would start having issues. Bought a $450 Android device and the same issue, after about 2 years. Decided to do the premium route, guess what....... Ive had my iPhone XR for 2.5 years, little to no issues. Each year Apple releases a new phone I reevaluate if I want to upgrade. The only feature I want is the MagSafe wireless changing but Im not willing to upgrade to get it yet. Ill evaluate the situation next year when the iPhone 14 launches. But I have a feeling Ill have my current device a bit longer. 

For some context, I did not finance my device because I wanted a lower bill each month. But I can understand someone wanting to finance for a premium device as they do make a bit of a difference. 

i guess it is just a matter of luck my 200$ redmi note 7 still works perfectly fine after 2 years i just go the cheap route that if it breaks/becomes unusably slow it is not so much of a financial burden to get a new one. i mean i use phones/tablets usually for 5+ years for example my huawei tablet running android 7 is 5 years old now with the latest security patch for android beeing from july 2018. i am not a person that needs the fastest phone or the phone with the most features ever i just want something to work. for horsepower i have my ryzen 7 laptop.