When its too much?

Hi guys,

Hope you are all doing well.

I was thinking about which is better a single Dark Rock 4 Pro Air Cooler for AMD ZEN 3 5950x or will 2x 480mm Rad and 2x 360mm and 1x 240mm Custom Water Loop will beat the Air cooler?(also cooling the GPU RTX 3090 from same Water Loop)

Of course a liquid cooling loop that big will win, even if there's a 3090 (leading to say, triple the total heat generated than just the CPU alone). 

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

Of course a liquid cooling loop that big will win, even if there's a 3090 (leading to say, triple the total heat generated than just the CPU alone). 

So would it break the top of the line Air cooler?

Just now, Abdullah Bhutta said:

yeah. by a lot. the water has a much greater thermal mass, and a much more efficent way of dissipating it.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

The CPU won't break the cooler.

I'm not sure what your doubts are, apart from huge cooling capability difference they are also different in ease of installation and maintenance. They are too different to be compared like this.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

yeah. by a lot. the water has a much greater thermal mass, and a much more efficent way of dissipating it.

And if long term use lets say PC is being up for a Month and no chances of Rest and its under full load? Then what will be the case scenario at the 30th day of the month?

Of course. A dark rock pro 4 is about as good as a good 360mm aio because well simply put they have about the same surface area for cooling. So of course when you start adding 5 times the cooling area even when you add a 3090 the dark rock will get beaten. I mean that whole watercooling setup will easily cost 5 times as much at least compared to the dark rock and has so much more area to cool it's a nobrainer that it would be better.

However do watch out. More rads does not mean it's better. If you for example use a 360mm rad in front of the case as your intake and then use the warm air from that to cool all the other rads the total cooling performance will be a lot worse or sometimes the extra rads won't even help cool as the air they are getting is the same temperature as the liquid inside of them. So when you do a watercooling loop you want to make sure that every single rad has access to the coldest air possible for maximum efficiency.

Just now, Jurrunio said:

The CPU won't break the cooler.

I'm not sure what your doubts are, apart from huge cooling capability difference they are also different in ease of installation and maintenance. They are too different to be compared like this.

dont think of mounting stuff, I've got some expert building guys which will help me.

I mean if i pair the CPU as well as the GPU with the same Water loop which is 2x 480mm Rad and 2x 360mm and 1x 240mm does it break records with the Air Cooler of the DARK ROCK 4 PRO and RTX 3090 FE Stock

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

However do watch out. More rads does not mean it's better. If you for example use a 360mm rad in front of the case as your intake and then use the warm air from that to cool all the other rads the total cooling performance will be a lot worse or sometimes the extra rads won't even help cool as the air they are getting is the same temperature as the liquid inside of them. So when you do a watercooling loop you want to make sure that every single rad has access to the coldest air possible for maximum efficiency.

I am thinking of Corsair Obsidian 1000D Case having 2x 480mm Rad Front and 2x 360mm Top which will take the fresh air into the Case and 2 fans will release the heat to the back of the case.

3 minutes ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

I am thinking of Corsair Obsidian 1000D Case having 2x 480mm Rad Front and 2x 360mm Top which will take the fresh air into the Case and 2 fans will release the heat to the back of the case.

If that is the case of your choice just go for the fron 2x480's. MORE than plenty for your hardware + this case will have the problem of the top rads becoming useless after a little bit due to the front rads. The hot air from the front will be exhausted by the top rads which means that they might as well not be there.

Why is that? Well it's simple.

An example:

The roomtemp is 20c. Your liquid temp in your rad is 30c.

The cold outside air enters the front 480's and cools the water down. The temp of the air then rises to 29c.

Now the top rads take that air and exhaust it HOWEVER the air is almost the same temp as the liquid so you end up with the rads barely cooling if at all. Thus wasting space and also just adding more pressure to the pump.

Another thing is for such a massive loop you'll need a powerfull pump and guess what a powerfull pump does? Be loud. So really stick with 2 front 480mm rads and just put some fans on the other parts of the case.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Another thing is for such a massive loop you'll need a powerfull pump and guess what a powerfull pump does? Be loud. So really stick with 2 front 480mm rads and just put some fans on the other parts of the case.

Dont care about sound as the Pc will be in another room and i will be controlling it via a dp cable that runs from that room to the monitor

So in your opinion what would be the best of the best pump in the market for this confroguration?

Dont care about sound as the Pc will be in another room and i will be controlling it via a dp cable that runs from that room to the monitor

So in your opinion what would be the best of the best pump in the market for this confroguration?

If the computer will be in another room then why this case? It's a showcase case. If it's in another room you might as well get one of those industrial simple watercooling frames that you just mount your rads onto. That would be super easy to build on, offer far better cooling and allow for better waterflow.

There is not a single pump that would be powerful enough of the typical watercooling pumps that would provide good enough waterflow. So either use multiple (not the best idea) or look for something industrial.

There is not a single pump that would be powerful enough of the typical watercooling pumps that would provide good enough waterflow. So either use multiple (not the best idea) or look for something industrial.

what would be the side effect of not using multiple or using multiple pumps?

9 minutes ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

what would be the side effect of not using multiple or using multiple pumps?

Not using a strong enough pump = slow liquid flow = higher temps

Using multiple pumps can lead to pressure differences which can lead to worse flow too or a pump getting overloaded.

Not using a strong enough pump = slow liquid flow = higher temps

Using multiple pumps can lead to pressure differences which can lead to worse flow too or a pump getting overloaded.

if i use two same specs pumps then what is the worst thing?

if i use two same specs pumps then what is the worst thing?

Same thing even if identical pumps are always in a range of speed never exactly the same. It's fine for a little while just after a year or so you'll start seeing more deviation and may want to replace them.

Keep in mind going with a watercooling loop means you need to do at least a good yearly maintenance to keep it running. The bigger the loop the more work.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Same thing even if identical pumps are always in a range of speed never exactly the same. It's fine for a little while just after a year or so you'll start seeing more deviation and may want to replace them.

Keep in mind going with a watercooling loop means you need to do at least a good yearly maintenance to keep it running. The bigger the loop the more work.

So what is the best Pump for the Corsair 1000D?

So what is the best Pump for the Corsair 1000D?

None of the pumps I know would suffice

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

None of the pumps I know would suffice

so if i use only 1 pump and run the same loop, when will i must have to change the pump?