SSD Not Converting to GPT

hlow

So, my gf got a new laptop, windows not installed, so i had to walk her through the installation process. All goes well, till the installation page says that you can't install windows on the SSD because its not GPT, okay, so we open cmd, type in the commands to convert it to GPT, so installation continues, except it doesn't, it finnishes installing some things and then just goes back to the first page of the Installation tool, and when we get to the page where you have to pick a drive where to install, once again says the SSD isn't in GPT mode. The laptop only has an SSD.

I heard you can change it to GPT in the bios, but i have no idea how and it's really hard to do so over discord, as i can't be there and do it irl, i've never worked with Asus Bios so i don't know the layout or anything to begin with.

The laptop is ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DV-AL026 for anyone wondering.

Any help would be appreaciated.

does it show GPT when you run List Disk in Diskpart?
If not you need to remove all partition by running Clean in Diskpart and then convert to GPT.

8 minutes ago, Flamu said:

then just goes back to the first page of the Installation tool, and when we get to the page where you have to pick a drive where to install, once again says the SSD isn't in GPT mode.

Oh wait, my bad. I read it wrong. Just remove your window installer pendrive and reboot, window install will continue like normal after that. 😅

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

You can't change it to gpt in the bios, this is a software thing.

Did you clean the drive in disk part or delete all partitions? There is no need to convert from mbr, just start fresh and delete all the existing mbr

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can't change it to gpt in the bios, this is a software thing.

Did you clean the drive in disk part or delete all partitions? There is no need to convert from mbr, just start fresh and delete all the existing mbr

Windows tool said that we're unable to install windows due to it being a mbr drive. By cleaning it a 2nd time in diskpart it worked though. So it's resolved i guess

1) Head into BIOS and make sure CSM Support is disabled. This forces the machine to only boot in UEFI mode and therefore only allow GPT drives.

2) At the command prompt be sure to type 'clean' and hit enter before typing 'convert GPT'.

3) Once it says its converted close out of CMD then just hit next on the partition screen, do not try to partition anything manually, let Windows handle it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Oh, and when you boot your pen drive, make sure you pick: "UEFI: <Flash drive model>", and not the one non-UEFI, if you have the option

• 1 year later...

Hi, got the same problem here. I revived my old laptop which is running on i5 with 2gb ram by using a new SSD with and installed windows 7 but I found out that there is a Lite version of Win 11 which runs even on a dual core processor with 256mb of ram so I would like to give it a try but its giving me a headache.

My major blocker right now is I cannot install W11 Lite as its looking for a GPT hard drive, did all the steps available on youtube to convert it to GPT, all no go. 

steps done so far using a different laptop

1. opened CMD with admin rights

2. opened diskpart

3. selected the SSD

4. clean

5. convert gpt

6. got an error saying "Virtual Service error, the specified disk is not convertible"

I made sure no partitions on the drive when converting to GPT and the clean command is done. tried also some 3rd party tools like EaseUS Partition Master. all getting an error when converting to GPT.

So, can i now conclude that my SSD cannot be converted to GPT? any other steps i can do? thank you 🙂