Switching to Android

Go to solution Solved by PixelAgent,

So.. after some research I picked the Pixel 4a (not the 5G one). Im OK with the very stock Android(but I will try a custom one anyway lmao) and I like the Design.

Thank you all guys for helping me.

P.S: How do I close a thread?

Edit: Got it

Hi, i want to switch from my iPhone 8 to an Android Phone. I don't want to spend much money on it and i wont sell my old iPhone(if i wanna switch back).

I thought of:

LG Velvet 4G

Google Pixel(maybe the 5)

Some Xiaomi Phones

I need: 

Qualcomm Quick Charge

A HEADPHONE JACK

USB-C Charging

It shouldnt be:

Too pricy

Too heavy(not much more than an iPhone X)

Thanks in Advance and sorry for my bad english

P.S: Im from germany (prices in €)

have you looked at nokia's offerings? i've got an entire family of satisfied nokia users.

Budget? So at least we can know how much 'too pricey' is since it's a really relative word. But since you're basically using a 'flagship' phone (I thought an iPhone is a flaghship, every single one of them).

Last generation of Samsung getting headphone jack is S10, somehow. If you wanna go for Xiaomi, Poco X3 NFC, or Mi 10 Ultra. Huawei can be good, maybe P30 or P40.

Tbh there's a lot of choice lol

Samsung's good on it's One UI, tbh. And it's Samsung Dex compatible that you can use it as a 'desktop'. Plus, lots of it's middle-range and high-end are using AMOLED, which is a huge plus for me.

But Xiaomi's good if you wanna do some custom ROM thingies, as their stock MIUI's kind of bloated with ads (although can be disabled completely).

Huawei? No GMS, but you can struggle a bit to install it and still a worth phone to buy anyway.

Edited by dhannemon13
My bad. S20 FE doesn't have any headphone jack.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

The S20FE is nice, I recently switched from my Pixel 3 XL to that but it doesn't have a headphone jack.

One thing to note is the Pixel lineup, at least last I checked, doesn't use Qualcomm quick charge but a different Google version. On my 3XL I had to use the provided pixel brick to get fast charging otherwise it would slow charge on other bricks.

Edit:

Realized you needed a headphone jack which the S20 FE doesn't have.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

The S20FE is nice, I recently switched from my Pixel 3 XL to that.

One thing to note is the Pixel lineup, at least last I checked, doesn't use Qualcomm quick charge but a different Google version. On my 3XL I had to use the provided pixel brick to get fast charging otherwise it would slow charge on other bricks.

S20 FE is a good one but he kind of upper-casing headphone jack....

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Just now, dhannemon13 said:

S20 FE is a good one but he kind of bolded headphone jack....

Yah, edited that after I posted :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

google pixel 4a has a headphone jack and a good camera as well as ur other requirements

CPU: AMD 3600X

GPU: Nvidia 3070 (planned)

motherboard: MSI B500-A PRO

memory: G Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB 3600Mhz CL16

PSU: EVGA B3 650@

Case: NZXT H510

wireless network adapter: intel ax200

Budget: pocophone x3

Midranger: Pocophone F2

High end: headphone jacks be gone but technically a pixel 4a fits in this place but really all it has over the f2 is a bit better camera whilst basically being worse in all other aspects.

Just now, jaslion said:

Budget: pocophone x3

Midranger: Pocophone F2

High end: headphone jacks be gone

I actually laughed on this, dunno why.

Yet the last Samsung's high-end phone that still have headphone jack is S10+.

Tbh it's still a good phone. S9 can be a choice either if you don't like the nature of phablet nowadays. Even Linus (was) stuck on a Note 9.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

2 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

I actually laughed on this, dunno why.

Yet the last Samsung's high-end phone that still have headphone jack is S10+.

Tbh it's still a good phone. S9 can be a choice either if you don't like the nature of phablet nowadays. Even Linus (was) stuck on a Note 9.

Yeah but that phone is already over a year old now and other than that headphone jacks are gone to make you buy their bleutooth headphones. It sucks a lot and I won't partake in it as I have perfectly good earbuds and headphones that I have no intention of replacing.

30 minutes ago, PixelAgent said:

Some Xiaomi Phones

I recommend Redmi Note 9 pro, it got all you need + nfc.

Poco X3 is also great, same specs with Note 9 pro, but 120hz screen.

These $200-300 phones are amazing for their features.

The competition is so fierce, you'll get new features every 6 months.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah but that phone is already over a year old now and other than that headphone jacks are gone to make you buy their bleutooth headphones. It sucks a lot and I won't partake in it as I have perfectly good earbuds and headphones that I have no intention of replacing.

Which, tbh, (younger brother's) S9 still runs a lot better and smoother than my own Redmi Note 8, it's got iris scan, DeX is functional, and somehow it's small af (which I kind of prefer as my Note 8 felt so big on my pocket) than phone nowadays. Yep, not-so apple-to-apple to compare 6 months old budget phone with a old-two generation flaghsip, but it's kind of what I feel.

And, true. Af. My $5 freaking budget earphone (KZ-EDR2) even sounds better than a $25 TWS (Aukey's 'Hi-fi' TWS), funnily.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I recommend Redmi Note 9 pro, it got all you need + nfc.

Poco X3 is also great, same specs with Note 9 pro, but 120hz screen.

These $200-300 phones are amazing for their features.

The competition is so fierce, you'll get new features every 6 months.

Poco X3 instead, newer and.... Made a friend of mine who bought a Note 8 Pro cried.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

3 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Poco X3 instead, newer and.... Made a friend of mine who bought a Note 8 Pro cried.

The f2 has higher specs in terms of cpu n such but really doesn't matter at this point for general use at all. Xiaomi basically competes with itself for their phones :p.

Also on the audio stuff a great pair o headphones which gives a really nice reference soundstage are the samson sr850's. Pretty darn amazong for only 40$

Just now, dhannemon13 said:

Mee toooo. 🤣

But no problem, xiaomi's phone are so in high demand, i still can sell mine in a day, and get myself a x3.

The only thing i don't like is the design, so clunky.

In january there will be note 10 pro presumably with the same 120hz display.

6 months refresh is so exhausting to follow.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Xiaomi basically competes with itself for their phones :p.

Indeed it is lol

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Also on the audio stuff a great pair o headphones which gives a really nice reference soundstage are the samson sr850's. Pretty darn amazong for only 40$

Ah, finally a recommendation of such price. Perhaps would get it later on lol

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Mee toooo. 🤣

But no problem, xiaomi's phone are so in high demand, i still can sell mine in a day, and get myself a x3.

The only thing i don't like is the design, so clunky.

In january there will be note 10 pro presumably with the same 120hz display.

6 months refresh is so exhausting to follow.

So high-demand that I actually pretty darn lucky to get both my Redmi 5A (welp 3 years ago) and Redmi Note 8 (got it just barely a year ago) few weeks after release, got it on flash sale. Tbh I kind of hate their way to sell their phones that way after release, but, hey, $5-$10 difference after the flash sale session is a good thing either.

I almost considering an A20 or M30 because simply, both of it, AMOLED (which I praise Samsung's display quality after using an A8 2018 for a month, phone's not mine btw), but unfortunately kind of too expensive for me and kind of less performance in both CPU and, charging speed. Like, really Samsung? How hard is it to implement 18W instead of 15W. It's 3W difference lol

So far both phone serves me nicely, although that real-budget 5A (because I was real-broke 3 years ago, yet it's a lot better than using a Galaxy Star Plus tbh) suffered performance drop just a year after I bought it, even numerous tries of using 'lighter' custom ROMs. So I sold it two years after purchase and got this Note 8, which is a really worth choice for me (as it's the most expensive phone I've ever bought lol). I'd consider using RR on this phone but perhaps I'd wait for MIUI 12 first.

That huge-ass POCO text on the back of the phone. I hate that. For real.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

12 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

I almost considering an A20 or M30 because simply, both of it, AMOLED (which I praise Samsung's display quality after using an A8 2018 for a month, phone's not mine btw), but unfortunately kind of too expensive for me and kind of less performance in both CPU and, charging speed. Like, really Samsung? How hard is it to implement 18W instead of 15W. It's 3W difference lol

Yes, AMOLED is their ace card. My wife use one (A51), amoled is great, but everything else feels meeh.

Exinos not good, camera not good, plastic body feels cheap.

Compared to my $100 cheaper Note 8 pro, feels 2 gen behind.

Still, i can't persuade her buying xiaomi, because it's a samsung.

19 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

That huge-ass POCO text on the back of the phone. I hate that. For real.

A huge ass case will solve that.

1 hour ago, PixelAgent said:

Hi, i want to switch from my iPhone 8 to an Android Phone. I don't want to spend much money on it and i wont sell my old iPhone(if i wanna switch back).

I thought of:

LG Velvet 4G

Google Pixel(maybe the 5)

Some Xiaomi Phones

I need: 

Qualcomm Quick Charge

A HEADPHONE JACK

USB-C Charging

It shouldnt be:

Too pricy

Too heavy(not much more than an iPhone X)

Thanks in Advance and sorry for my bad english

P.S: Im from germany (prices in €)

Pixel is the best option though the 4 and 5 don't have a headphone jack. The 4a does though. 

Overall though you'll be sacrificing performance, longevity and Camera by leaving iPhone. Along with security but that goes without saying.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

4 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Pixel is the best option though the 4 and 5 don't have a headphone jack. The 4a does though. 

Overall though you'll be sacrificing performance, longevity and Camera by leaving iPhone. Along with security but that goes without saying.

i dont really care about security i have all important things in my nextcloud

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

The S20FE is nice, I recently switched from my Pixel 3 XL to that but it doesn't have a headphone jack.

Edit:

Realized you needed a headphone jack which the S20 FE doesn't have.

A S20 FE is kinda expensive though... i think 750€ is a little bit too much.. i would spend a maximum of 600

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

have you looked at nokia's offerings? i've got an entire family of satisfied nokia users.

what exactly would you recommend?

After some research, my favourites are:

Poco X3(i hate the camera design thought)

Xiaomi Mi 10(not the lite, not the ultra)

Pixel 4a

I looked at the S10 Plus and the S20 FE and I really like them, but they are really expensive. Samsungs offerings are nice, but a little bit to expensive. Any recommendations under 600$?

1 hour ago, PixelAgent said:

what exactly would you recommend?

nokia doesnt have many offerings, i'd say look at what pricepoints they hit for you, and what features they get you for it.

they essentially just have one overall "experience", pressed in 4 or 5 different phones to hit a few different markets. besides the spec sheet they're all just bone stock android, and it seems like you may have most of your spec sheet in mind already.

2 hours ago, PixelAgent said:

After some research, my favourites are:

Poco X3(i hate the camera design thought)

Xiaomi Mi 10(not the lite, not the ultra)

Pixel 4a

I looked at the S10 Plus and the S20 FE and I really like them, but they are really expensive. Samsungs offerings are nice, but a little bit to expensive. Any recommendations under 600$?

Well, you have to live with phone design nowadays lol

Both Samsungs you mention is high-end class and can be directly competed with t he iPhone X to 11. No wonder that's actually expensive.

Pixel is good but, stock Android, kind of meh for me except you're using custom ROM AOSPs like Resurrection Remix.

But in that case. Actually Samsung's phones are indeed more expensive in any price-range (that's why I don't pick A20/M30 if you read my post above), but their quality somehow, especially their AMOLED display, I favor them. For real.  I still got my old Galaxy Star Plus alive until this day.

My Redmi Note 8 unfortunately got the screen retention issues, kind of AMOLED's burn in but it's temporary if I stayed on one kind of display at extended period because they're using cheap IPS panel. I dunno with the more higher-end Xiaomi phones but I hope it won't happen. Check XDA Groups if you wanna do some research of it.

Probably you can check on Huawei P30 Lite if you interested.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes, AMOLED is their ace card. My wife use one (A51), amoled is great, but everything else feels meeh.

Exinos not good, camera not good, plastic body feels cheap.

Compared to my $100 cheaper Note 8 pro, feels 2 gen behind.

Still, i can't persuade her buying xiaomi, because it's a samsung.

Ah, A51 indeed is a good one. I can't really blame Samsung, tho. A lot of the users are more oriented to daily usage and.. You don't need too much performance outta of daily browse of lttstore.com, either.

I actually kind of regret getting the Redmi Note 8 as I actually barely played games on it lol (as I thought before I took it simply because of SoC perfomance), and sometimes the screen retention issue sucks. I watch streams and movies more and that's when AMOLED really come handy. And I usually read with night-mode on and, damn, it's darn comfortable blacks.

But I still love MIUI, either. Plus, Xiaomi devices are the one that I actually can flash custom ROMs easily. Didn't try on this one yet, tho, as I daily drive this one and I don't wanna mess too much with it yet. 

Yet. You can't hotspot tether on 5GHz using a Samsung phone, unfortunately. This one can, and it's darn good since my neighbor beside me took ALL of the 2.4GHz non-overlapping channels for their wifi and it's extenders. 

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

A huge ass case will solve that.

Well, solid, black colored indeed are the best one.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio