CPU Advice for RTX 3080

Hey everyone, 

This is actually my first time posting here. After camping out at Microcenter, I finally managed to get my hands on the highly coveted 3080. 

Now straight to the point. I'm looking to future proof my build and need recommendations on a solid AMD cpu that would be worth upgrading to so I can ensure the longevity of my system. I currently have a R5 3600. 

Any feedback is appreciated! 

Thank You, 

EJ

Just now, almightymoses said:

Hey everyone, 

This is actually my first time posting here. After camping out at Microcenter, I finally managed to get my hands on the highly coveted 3080. 

Now straight to the point. I'm looking to future proof my build and need recommendations on a solid AMD cpu that would be worth upgrading to so I can ensure the longevity of my system. I currently have a R5 3600. 

Any feedback is appreciated! 

Thank You, 

EJ

How long are you hoping for it to last and what will you be using it for?

PC Specs: Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk X570  CPU: Ryzen 5900X  CPU Cooler: NZXT 240 mm Kraken Series AIO     GPU: Asus Strix ROG 1080 TI OC Edition    PSU: Corsair RM850 850W   Storage: 2 X 4TB, 2 X 1TB HDD And 1 X 1tb m.2 samsung 980 pro Case:  NZXT H440 2015 Edition

Just now, Abzilla said:

How long are you hoping for it to last and what will you be using it for?

I'd like the computer to last at least another 2-3 years (not really well-knowledged on the usual duration of most gaming PCs) for 1440p gaming. Eventually I would like to give 4K a try. The system is mostly used for gaming as well as some out of office work-related stuff, nothing too demanding.

The 5000 series is coming soon, so getting one of those is the best "future proofing" step. However, I think a better question here is do you need an upgrade? Your CPU is just over a year old. Are you not getting the performance you would like that the 3080 could offer or do you just feel like you need to upgrade for no other reason than because you got a new beastly GPU.

(nothing wrong with just wanting an upgrade though)

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I agree with @tikker, the 5000 series is a good choice (I'll be going with it) and will definitely last longer than 3 years! I have had my i7 4790 for 5 years and am doing an upgrade for it now. 

PC Specs: Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk X570  CPU: Ryzen 5900X  CPU Cooler: NZXT 240 mm Kraken Series AIO     GPU: Asus Strix ROG 1080 TI OC Edition    PSU: Corsair RM850 850W   Storage: 2 X 4TB, 2 X 1TB HDD And 1 X 1tb m.2 samsung 980 pro Case:  NZXT H440 2015 Edition