Gaming/Home office - Dual 4k 27"

PancakeFrenzy

Hey guys,

I'm building home office/gaming setup with the upcoming top big Navi card that hopefully will be competitive with RTX 3080. I'm decided on the two 27" flat panels side by side but can't decide on the specs; the choice boils down to two options:

1. The primary monitor for both working and gaming (4k, >144Hz), and second only for working (4k, 60Hz). Because graphic cards performance is not there yet some games will be played on scaled-down 2k for higher refresh rate.
  2. The primary monitor only for working (4k, 60Hz), and second for gaming (2k, >144Hz). In this setup, I'd have to reorganize the desk depending on the use case. 

Does it make sense to play on a lower resolution than the native of the panel? Does it make any difference? I'd much rather prefer the first option but if the games will look off when scaled-down maybe it's worth to consider the second option. What do you think?

8 minutes ago, PancakeFrenzy said:

Hey guys,

I'm building home office/gaming setup with the upcoming top big Navi card that hopefully will be competitive with RTX 3080. I'm decided on the two 27" flat panels side by side but can't decide on the specs; the choice boils down to two options:

1. The primary monitor for both working and gaming (4k, >144Hz), and second only for working (4k, 60Hz). Because graphic cards performance is not there yet some games will be played on scaled-down 2k for higher refresh rate.
  2. The primary monitor only for working (4k, 60Hz), and second for gaming (2k, >144Hz). In this setup, I'd have to reorganize the desk depending on the use case. 

Does it make sense to play on a lower resolution than the native of the panel? Does it make any difference? I'd much rather prefer the first option but if the games will look off when scaled-down maybe it's worth to consider the second option. What do you think?

so a nice 4K monitor is this philips monitor (specificly the one with USB docking) its a native 10 bit pannel, very color accurate, it has a 1080p web cam in it and can be overclocekd to around 80 hertz. 

Acer Predator XB273K is probably the best 144 hertz 4K screen. good luck running something at 4k 144 hertz 

11 minutes ago, PancakeFrenzy said:

Hey guys,

Going lower than native will never look as sharp as running at native 1440p and it can be noticeable pretty easily. So second option would be best. That and a 3080 cannot game at 4k 144hz high-highest settings in all games. There are a few exceptions that will run at almost highest settings but basically in general to achieve those fps you need to pretty much play at medium settings with some high mixed in.

I also don't recommend a 4k 144hz screen now as because the 3080 can just do medium-high now it's gonna fall behind really quickly and have to do low to reach those fps or even drop resolution. Which defeats the entire point of 4k.

So basically 1440p for gaming and 4k for work. Then again 1440p 27 inch is plenty for working on too.

11 hours ago, jaslion said:

Going lower than native will never look as sharp as running at native 1440p and it can be noticeable pretty easily. So second option would be best. That and a 3080 cannot game at 4k 144hz high-highest settings in all games. There are a few exceptions that will run at almost highest settings but basically in general to achieve those fps you need to pretty much play at medium settings with some high mixed in.

I also don't recommend a 4k 144hz screen now as because the 3080 can just do medium-high now it's gonna fall behind really quickly and have to do low to reach those fps or even drop resolution. Which defeats the entire point of 4k.

So basically 1440p for gaming and 4k for work. Then again 1440p 27 inch is plenty for working on too.

Wasn't sure what happens when playing on a lower resolution, but yeah, that makes sense. I'll get the 1440p gaming and 4k for work then. Thanks! I'll add some premium VESA arm to make reorganizing the monitors as easy as possible.

3 hours ago, PancakeFrenzy said:

Wasn't sure what happens when playing on a lower resolution, but yeah, that makes sense. I'll get the 1440p gaming and 4k for work then. Thanks! I'll add some premium VESA arm to make reorganizing the monitors as easy as possible.

Ergotron lx arm is amazing to have highly recommend it. I use it for my wacon 27qhd drawing tablet and it's super nice.