Good ultrabooks?

Lightning

I am in the process of purchasing a portable ultrabook for class and medical school in the future.

So far, I am interested in the samsung ATIV 9. But I hear it has touchpad problems.

The Lenovo Yoga 2  pro is also a good option. But I feel that it is a bit thicker due to be it being a convertible.

Any other suggestions?

My requirement is that it must have a full SSD, at least 13 inches, and decent battery life of 7 hours or so.

My price range is $900-$1300

I have the Asus UX301 and i can recommend it. 

I've been looking at this one also.  Looks nice.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Mac Book Air, with its "Flash" Storage. 

Sorry. No apple. I really really  really hate OSX.

If I were going with an ultrabook type device, I would probably go for something like the yoga series. The extra thickness wouldn't bother me, and being able to use it in different positions/as a tablet would be pretty nice.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

:o.... Well You can always put Windws easily on it :S

Stronk Battery Life and Speedy :P With those new Iris Pro Graphics from Intel which is pretty nice. 

6rMno.jpg

If I were going with an ultrabook type device, I would probably go for something like the yoga series. The extra thickness wouldn't bother me, and being able to use it in different positions/as a tablet would be pretty nice.

From Family experience, it breaks rather easily. 

I've been looking at this one also.  Looks nice.

It is quite expensive. >____>

It is quite expensive. >____>

That is why I don't have one yet.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Acer S7? Or Sony Vaio Pro 13?

I don't trust acer. Have they improved in quality control?

They have a lot in the last 2 years, their new stuff is great quality. Linus argued with Acer about  him keeping the S7 he loved it so much.

Yeah definitely. I had a acer a couple years back and it was kinda crap. The new ones are much better. If you look at the acer r7 you can see a change in the company. The thing is impractical and not an ultra-book but shows direction the company has headed in. A ton of engineering had to go into it and it is built well. 

Another question:

Does the 4K resolution (samsung ATIV 9) make a huge difference? IS it worth it to include that feature at a cost of a more expensive product?

The Sony Vaio 13 is really nice device, lovely touch pad and keypad that I actually prefer both to the Mac book Air. The screen is equally lovely and its got a decent speed dual core processor in it as well. About the main upgrade I think everyone needs is the RAM upgrade from 4GB to 8GB but its a good device for its price and weight.

I was originally going to get a Samsung ATIV ultrabook (literally cancelled my order) but opted for the Lenovo U530 higher end model (with the dedicated graphics) for $949 because I heard there was a bunch of issues with the touch pad. I bought mine from best buy, $50 off with college student discount; you get the coupons online. I wanted to really only stick with Asus/Lenovo because I previously had Acer/Toshiba and I've been staying away from them since then (I also HATE Apple).

The U530 Touch comes with:

1080p, backlit keyboard, touchscreen, dedicated graphics, 8gb RAM, core i7, thin and sexy (feels like a macbook pro).. the only thing is that it has a 5400rpm 1TB HDD; I swapped that out with a recycled 120gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD (planning to upgrade it soon) and I absolutely love this thing.

The processor also hardly uses power so the battery life is LONG.

I do some light steam gaming (CS:GO, Dota 2, Walking Dead) along with school work and a bit of photoshop/lightroom. I'm that type of person who literally spent HOURS each day finding the perfect laptop because I hate dealing with returns/refunds and I always want something 'perfect'.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE how it feels, I literally smile every time I touch it.. (sounds weird but I seriously love it).

If you opt to go this way, I suggest doing a clean windows 8.1 install (the bloatware is awful) and upgrading it to a SSD. For the prices of SSD's nowadays, you could get the dedicated graphics card model with a 250gb SSD for under $1100.

If you don't necessarily need the dedicated graphics card, you can go for a lower end model with the intel HD 4400 and add a bigger capacity SSD and still have some extra cash.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/u-series/u530-touch/

Hands are perfect cupholders.

I was originally going to get a Samsung ATIV ultrabook (literally cancelled my order) but opted for the Lenovo U530 higher end model (with the dedicated graphics) for $949 because I heard there was a bunch of issues with the touch pad. I bought mine from best buy, $50 off with college student discount; you get the coupons online. I wanted to really only stick with Asus/Lenovo because I previously had Acer/Toshiba and I've been staying away from them since then (I also HATE Apple).

The U530 Touch comes with:

1080p, backlit keyboard, touchscreen, dedicated graphics, 8gb RAM, core i7, thin and sexy (feels like a macbook pro).. the only thing is that it has a 5400rpm 1TB HDD; I swapped that out with a recycled 120gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD (planning to upgrade it soon) and I absolutely love this thing.

The processor also hardly uses power so the battery life is LONG.

I do some light steam gaming (CS:GO, Dota 2, Walking Dead) along with school work and a bit of photoshop/lightroom. I'm that type of person who literally spent HOURS each day finding the perfect laptop because I hate dealing with returns/refunds and I always want something 'perfect'.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE how it feels, I literally smile every time I touch it.. (sounds weird but I seriously love it).

If you opt to go this way, I suggest doing a clean windows 8.1 install (the bloatware is awful) and upgrading it to a SSD. For the prices of SSD's nowadays, you could get the dedicated graphics card model with a 250gb SSD for under $1100.

If you don't necessarily need the dedicated graphics card, you can go for a lower end model with the intel HD 4400 and add a bigger capacity SSD and still have some extra cash.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/u-series/u530-touch/

This might be the exact thing I am looking for.

Although it is a bit on the thicker side...

I would love the HDD swap capability. Will it void the warranty? IS it easy to swap?

This might be the exact thing I am looking for.

Although it is a bit on the thicker side...

I would love the HDD swap capability. Will it void the warranty? IS it easy to swap?

5.07 lbs, 14.09" x 10.11" x 0.86"

The back plate is easily removable (after unscrewing about 15 or so screws), just take out the hdd and put in the ssd (after removing the hdd from the bracket and replacing it with the ssd).. I'm not sure about that, I haven't read into it honestly baha I literally opened it up the night I got it.

Hands are perfect cupholders.

I might get the Acer instead.

I can't find the lenovo notebook on newegg or amazon for a good deal. I want it by next week for my midterm as well.

Is the SSD in the acer aspire s7 upgradable?

Have you ever used it long enough to understand it? The MBA is probably the best Ultrabook available, or the rMBP.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers