I Think I Fried My MoBo...

So I bought an older PC from a friend about a year with the intent of upgrading it over time. Here's the old to updates specs with more to come:

CPU: i3 6400 - - - - i7 10700k

GPU: 1050ti 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H

RAM: 8Gb 2133MHz - - - 16Gb 3600Mhz

Storage: 1TB HDD, 1TB SSD - - same + 1TB m.2 SSD

PSU: CX750M

I looked at what would fit, not what was compatible. 

After nothing but restarts after booting with no GPU, no RAM, single RAM, original CPU, etc. 

Also yes, the CPU fan was in the right socket. Everything was right. 

So without a multimeter I'm left with no other option than to assume I've fried the motherboard. 

You might notice a couple of mistakes with my upgrades. Firstly I ordered a M.2 SSD but this MoBo doesn't even support M.2... How old is this thing?! 

I also got a WiFi adaptor because my daughter keeps tripping on the Ethernet and now it's heavily damaged and probably should of been thrown out about a year ago. 

Anyway, back to the actual topic. 

Given the parts I've gotten and with the intent of purchasing a relatively high end GPU in future, what MoBo should I get that will last ~5 years to replace the fried one? 

I'm not sure how you managed to fit a 10700K into an H110 board, the socket is physically different.

9 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

I'm not sure how you managed to fit a 10700K into an H110 board, the socket is physically different.

It slid right I know it's for a 1200 socket and the current is 1151 but it worked. 

Here's a pic. The CPU in there is the original i3 6400 and the one in my hand is the 10700K. I put the original back to attempt a BIOS update but it again wouldn't post. 

16029049280677446298496630758356.jpg

1 hour ago, TrigrH said:

<removed by staff>

Lets start with top and bottom photos of the CPU to see if its damaged after forcing it into the wrong socket.

Well I just replied about that and as stated, it slid right in. I didn't force anything. But to attempt a BIOS update I put the original CPU back in anyway. 

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

4 minutes ago, Darth Yoda said:

I know it's for a 1200 socket and the current is 1151 but it worked. 

You knowingly put a 1200 pin chip in a 1151 socket? This must be a joke post.

1 hour ago, TrigrH said:

please tell this is a troll thread. You need to inspect the new cpu for damage.

Not a troll thread, I'm just <removed by staff>

Spoiler

16029054520027324713140252590709.jpg

Spoiler

16029055503571539626214993828356.jpg

Edited by SansVarnic

Just now, TrigrH said:

the cpu looks curved, is that just the camera?

Possibly. I was trying to take the photos while my daughter was trying to push past me. 

1 hour ago, Darth Yoda said:

Not a troll thread, I'm just 'a moron'. 

<snipped by staff>

The keying is physically different. How? Just how????

Edited by SansVarnic
Snipped quote

7 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

The H110 chipset only supports upto a 7700K https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/H110.html

The pins on the 10 series CPU's are different. I would not be surprised if there are power pads in the wrong place and it shorted both the board and the CPU itself. You're SOL here buds.

I originally didn't even consider compatibility. I just tried to throw some upgrades at it. The CPU slid in, the RAM fit and I just tried to boot. 

I'm hoping the CPU is okay but I was planning on upgrading the MoBo at some point anyway. 

1 minute ago, Darth Yoda said:

I originally didn't even consider compatibility. I just tried to throw some upgrades at it. The CPU slid in, the RAM fit and I just tried to boot. 

I'm hoping the CPU is okay but I was planning on upgrading the MoBo at some point anyway. 

1-1080.25de8974.jpg

How did you make it fit?

Okay, guys! 

I get it! 

I'm an idiot! 

My question was not where I went wrong, I already figured that out. It was what MoBo I should use to not cause any problems in the rebuild. 

1 minute ago, Darth Yoda said:

Okay, guys! 

I get it! 

I'm an idiot! 

My question was not where I went wrong, I already figured that out. It was what MoBo I should use to not cause any problems in the rebuild. 

any z490 motherboard, also a new cooler, cos that push pin crap wont cut it.

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

<snipped by staff>

How did you make it fit?

I just lined up the triangle arrow, it went in the socket and I clamped it. Just like any other 1151 CPU. No force behind it, no cracks or splits, nothing to indicate it wouldn't fit. 

Edited by SansVarnic
Snipped quote

Just now, TrigrH said:

any z490 motherboard, also a new cooler, cos that push pin crap wont cut it.

Yeah I can't stand the standard CPU fans with those clips on the feet. 

Wanted to change it out anyway. 

So z490 is the recommendation? 

I'll have a look at what's available. 

Thank you! 

17 minutes ago, Darth Yoda said:

Yeah I can't stand the standard CPU fans with those clips on the feet. 

Wanted to change it out anyway. 

So z490 is the recommendation? 

I'll have a look at what's available. 

Thank you! 

Well with a potentially dead CPU and MoBo, are you tied to intel? New AMD chips are coming in a few weeks...

13 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Well with a potentially dead CPU and MoBo, are you tied to intel? New AMD chips are coming in a few weeks...

I'm not tied to anything no, but since the virus has put me out of work, I have a 2-year-old and another on the way I can't really afford to get anything new hence why it took me a year to get this stuff. 

Anyway, I have a warranty on the CPU so it can be replaced when I get the new MoBo. Tomahawk z490. Looks like it will do the trick. 

28 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Seems a bit expensive, unless u want heavy overclocking, try and stay under $250aud, gives you money for a cooler.

Ah so you're Australian too. I was using PC Case Gear. They don't have any z490 MoBos under $250. 

28 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

unless u want heavy overclocking

I was going to OC a bit but within daily use range. So bumping the speeds by probably 10-15% but nothing crazy. 

This is also something I probably won't do until a I get a suitable GPU to match. 

14 minutes ago, Darth Yoda said:

Ah so you're Australian too. I was using PC Case Gear. They don't have any z490 MoBos under $250. 

Grab this one:

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/50093/msi-z490-a-pro-motherboard

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/42365/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-cooler

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

I was looking at that and trying to figure out why it was so much cheaper than the other z490s. Well you seem to know so I'll take your work for it. The z490 series does look like it will handle everything I've got. 

Thank you again. 

Just now, Darth Yoda said:

I was looking at that and trying to figure out why it was so much cheaper than the other z490s. Well you seem to know so I'll take your work for it. The z490 series does look like it will handle everything I've got. 

Thank you again. 

skim through this one:

-= Thread Cleaned =-

If you are not willing to help the OP then do not post.

Calling another member names for making mistakes is neither allowed or tolerated. Offer assistance or do not post, comment or reply.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER