S10 resolution

Elad.Evron

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 and It came at 1080p and I moved it to 1440p after like a week. But I was wondering if it has an effect on battery, because usually more pixels mean more electricity needed but even if the screen is set to a lower resolution it still has the same amount of pixels. And maybe a lower resolution uses more battery because it needs to scale stuff and that uses the battery? 

so does anyone know

editing and adding another question: 

This phones has an AMOLED screen so if I put it to dark mode will it use less battery then bright mode because all of those black pixels which are basically turned off dont use elecricity? or does it not work like that (well IK that OLED and its friends work like that but does it effect battery life)? 

1 minute ago, Elad.Evron said:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 and It came at 1080p and I moved it to 1440p after like a week. But I was wondering if it has an effect on battery, because usually more pixels mean more electricity needed but even if the screen is set to a lower resolution it still has the same amount of pixels. And maybe a lower resolution uses more battery because it needs to scale stuff and that uses the battery? 

so does anyone know

Depends how you use it. If you play games, then the GPU is having to render more pixels per frame, meaning more power needed.

If you're just using the phone without much GPU use, then it won't make much difference.

- your phone is 1440p 

- setting it 1080p renders 1080p and upscales it to 1440p

- Battery wise, you will see a slight decrease but overall, everything looks better at 1440p, the GPU has to work a bit harder. 

1 minute ago, TehDwonz said:

Depends how you use it. If you play games, then the GPU is having to render more pixels per frame, meaning more power needed.

If you're just using the phone without much GPU use, then it won't make much difference.

I dont really play games on my phone, mostly whhatsapp, instagram, youtube and dtuff like that.

Just now, Elad.Evron said:

I dont really play games on my phone, mostly whhatsapp, instagram, youtube and dtuff like that.

Videos in "fullscreen" might - though won't be much GPU, as most SoC have video decoders now.

1 minute ago, The Sloth said:

- your phone is 1440p 

- setting it 1080p renders 1080p and upscales it to 1440p

- Battery wise, you will see a slight decrease but overall, everything looks better at 1440p, the GPU has to work a bit harder. 

Well as this phone has a really disaponting battery life (its exynos because not everyone is from the US), then maybe if I turn it back to 1080 ill get 20 more minutes of battery or something like that right? 

56 minutes ago, Elad.Evron said:

Well as this phone has a really disaponting battery life (its exynos because not everyone is from the US), then maybe if I turn it back to 1080 ill get 20 more minutes of battery or something like that right? 

If its worth it to you then go for it.
I have 5-6 hours+ onTime (noGaming, just 1440p60 Youtube/Media) with Exynos Note 9 at full brightness with 1440p always, so another 20 mins isn't a big deal to me.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

13 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

If its worth it to you then go for it.
I have 5-6 hours+ onTime (noGaming, just 1440p60 Youtube/Media) with Exynos Note 9 at full brightness with 1440p always, so another 20 mins isn't a big deal to me.

I was sarcastic buddy, and who uses thier phone at full brightness, IDk about the note 9 but the S10 has a HDR 1000 rating and it can sustain around 800 nits, half brightness is more then enough for me. and I get around 8 real life hours of battery (before I get to around 30% in which I need to think about charing it) with medium use at 1440p, around half way in the brightness bar with the exynos chipset

which is very disaponting compering to my brother's one plus 7 pro which we baought both the phones at the same day and his lasts more  at 1080 yeah but he has a 90 hertz screen.

34 minutes ago, Elad.Evron said:

I was sarcastic buddy, and who uses thier phone at full brightness, IDk about the note 9 but the S10 has a HDR 1000 rating and it can sustain around 800 nits, half brightness is more then enough for me. and I get around 8 real life hours of battery (before I get to around 30% in which I need to think about charing it) with medium use at 1440p, around half way in the brightness bar with the exynos chipset

which is very disaponting compering to my brother's one plus 7 pro which we baought both the phones at the same day and his lasts more  at 1080 yeah but he has a 90 hertz screen.

If your sarcastic then why frame it as a question.
Who uses their phone at full brightness?,.. um.. many people not you...

(I'm not talking about bedtime, I do lower it there)
We are obviously different use cases in brightness outside of that.

I'm not chasing extra hours,.. at work or home I have Wireless Chi and cords available to me.

Spoiler

Note 9 is 710Nits sustained Fullscreen coverage in White, with HDR 1050nits peak, (my usages) it's been at Full brightness everyday of its life, no burn in whatsoever.. a brilliant display device much like yours.
https://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note9_ShootOut_44N9.htm

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

8 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

If your sarcastic then why frame it as a question.
Who uses their phone at full brightness?,.. um.. many people not you...

(I'm not talking about bedtime, I do lower it there)
We are obviously different use cases in brightness outside of that.

I'm not chasing extra hours,.. at work or home I have Wireless Chi and cords available to me.

Hide contents

Note 9 is 710Nits sustained Fullscreen coverage in White, with HDR 1050nits peak, (my usages) it's been at Full brightness everyday of its life, no burn in whatsoever.. a brilliant display device much like yours.
https://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note9_ShootOut_44N9.htm

I was sarcastic about the 20 min part. and do people really use thier phones at 100% brightness? to me more then 75 is way too bright and most of my friends also say taht 

Just now, Elad.Evron said:

I was sarcastic about the 20 min part. and do people really use thier phones at 100% brightness? to me more then 75 is way too bright and most of my friends also say taht 

IMO,..Brightness is subjective to user comfort first then based on surroundings and environments if you need more or not...

Most of my watching media is in my Shed-Den outside (low-average sunlight, possibly a dark room for some people)
My room is darker, still full brightness at 2ft distance.(phone on a mount at eye level).. but if i'm holding my phone less than arms length away from my face in bed,.. 20-40% for those white backgrounds../webpages.