Another "What Speakers Should I Choose"

Meobius

For reference past speakers include (in order of appearance) the Altec Lansing 4121, Altec Lansing 641 (loved), Logitech z906 (didn't like) and I am currently using the Logitech z5450.  Originally got the z5450 for home theater use (The rear wireless speakers where really convenient), but the z906 I had on my PC died just after warranty, so I got a soundbar with wireless rear speakers to replace it. Also using sennheiser pxc550 headphones when it gets too noisy around, or the speakers are acting up.

The z5450 rear speakers died 2-3 years ago, and the rest is fading fast.

Not blown away by the sound quality on the logitechs, and preferred the Altec Lansings, but sadly they do not make PC speakers like they used to. 

Budget is up to around $1500 CAD. Use case is 30% music, 50% youtube, 5% video (Netflix, prime, etc.) and 15% gaming. Don't give a damn about bluetooth, but needs to support optical. Active speakers only (don't have room for a receiver unless it can fit in 20cm wide by 10cm tall space.).

Right now I'm looking at either the Audio Engine hd6 with the subwoofer, or the Edifier s760d. The big question is do I go for sound quality over surround sound. Are there any other options in that price range that I'm not considering.

I'm using a Samsung HW-Q80R with the additional rear speakers for my home theater setup, and the sound still blows me away. Completely worth it's money imo. If you know you want the rear speakers to begin with, just get the HW-Q90R. These soundbars have excellent sound quality and support pretty much ANY audio format. You can use them via HDMI eARC or Optical. But with optical you lose out on Dolby Atmos.

Of course you'd have to check if it isn't too big, because it's huge for a soundbar.

I never expected a soundbar to compete so strongly with high-end home theater surround setups.

Not really sure if that's what you're looking for, but i can easily recommend this solution.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

If it wasn't for the massive soundbar, which I wouldn't have a place for on my desk, those would be amazing.

Focusrite Scarlett Solo ($100)
Yamaha HS7s ($319ea) (get a pair)
Yamaha HS8S ($469)
2x 1/4" TRS to XLR cables (scarlett solo > sub) Set x-over and sub-speaker vol balance.
2x XLR cables from sub to HS7s. 

This will fit your budget.

For extra sauce, use Sonarworks w/ their RTA mic to calibrate your listening spot for pretty damn flat reference. Should give you about as close to full reference as you can get without going five digits. Note: Sonarworks will try to auto calculate speaker distance and listening distance. You may need to use a tape measure to get more accurate and make some adjustments to their values during the measurement process.

Source: am audio engineer.

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

4 hours ago, Meobius said:

For reference past speakers include (in order of appearance) the Altec Lansing 4121, Altec Lansing 641 (loved), Logitech z906 (didn't like) and I am currently using the Logitech z5450.  Originally got the z5450 for home theater use (The rear wireless speakers where really convenient), but the z906 I had on my PC died just after warranty, so I got a soundbar with wireless rear speakers to replace it. Also using sennheiser pxc550 headphones when it gets too noisy around, or the speakers are acting up.

The z5450 rear speakers died 2-3 years ago, and the rest is fading fast.

Not blown away by the sound quality on the logitechs, and preferred the Altec Lansings, but sadly they do not make PC speakers like they used to. 

Budget is up to around $1500 CAD. Use case is 30% music, 50% youtube, 5% video (Netflix, prime, etc.) and 15% gaming. Don't give a damn about bluetooth, but needs to support optical. Active speakers only (don't have room for a receiver unless it can fit in 20cm wide by 10cm tall space.).

Right now I'm looking at either the Audio Engine hd6 with the subwoofer, or the Edifier s760d. The big question is do I go for sound quality over surround sound. Are there any other options in that price range that I'm not considering.

Hm, for that price I would take a look at a pair of Adam Audio A7X's.

They have amazing tweeters, efficient amplifiers, nice extended bass and aren't huge for the sound they provide. You just need an XLR connection and simple DAC for them to provide the optical input.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

On 10/16/2020 at 2:02 PM, Derkoli said:

Hm, for that price I would take a look at a pair of Adam Audio A7X's.

They have amazing tweeters, efficient amplifiers, nice extended bass and aren't huge for the sound they provide. You just need an XLR connection and simple DAC for them to provide the optical input.

Unfortunately those are definetely out of my price range. They are about $1000 CAD each. and then I would need to add a DAC.

On 10/16/2020 at 1:47 PM, B.Toast said:

Focusrite Scarlett Solo ($100)
Yamaha HS7s ($319ea) (get a pair)
Yamaha HS8S ($469)
2x 1/4" TRS to XLR cables (scarlett solo > sub) Set x-over and sub-speaker vol balance.
2x XLR cables from sub to HS7s. 

This will fit your budget.

For extra sauce, use Sonarworks w/ their RTA mic to calibrate your listening spot for pretty damn flat reference. Should give you about as close to full reference as you can get without going five digits. Note: Sonarworks will try to auto calculate speaker distance and listening distance. You may need to use a tape measure to get more accurate and make some adjustments to their values during the measurement process.

Source: am audio engineer.

Definately interesting, a bit overkill perhaps but out of my price range those prices are USD. Also the Solo doesn't have the optical in.

5 minutes ago, Meobius said:

Unfortunately those are definetely out of my price range. They are about $1000 CAD each. and then I would need to add a DAC.

Try the smaller versions then. The Adam Audio A5X

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

4 minutes ago, Meobius said:

Definately interesting, a bit overkill perhaps but out of my price range those prices are USD. Also the Solo doesn't have the optical in.

If you modify it to have HS5s instead it HS7s, and swap the interface for something with optical in, you’ll save money and get a good result still. Or dump the sub and get HS8s and you’ll lower your cost significantly. 

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

Adam T10S and two T7V.
Yamaha HS 8S and two HS 8.

KRK 10S and two Rokit RP7 or RP8
JBL 310S and two 308P

JBL would probably be the cheapest since their american