24" IPS VS 27" curved VA?

Fatty

I'm currently eyeing two very closely priced monitors

• an MSI 24" 1080P IPS 144hz .flat

• a Samsung 27" 1440P VA 144hz .curved

i was obviously leaning towards the samsung for bigger size and higher res, but considering all the cons i am reading about VA panels and the really bad response times and bad smearing, i started considering the IPS.

These are the response times for the samsung (can't find one for the MSI)

Any advice?

"VA smearing" is not nearly as bad as many people make it out to be. It's mostly only the very dark colors. But at any rate, i'd personally go for a 24" IPS monitor if i had this choice. Some other great models you could look at are the AOC 24G2 and the BenQ EX2510 for a 24" 1080p 144Hz monitor.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

id  pick the samsung one much better for a close price point (although I love msi)

I think it depends on what you want to do, I personally have a 32" QHD VA monitor from HP and I LOVE the bigger size and the higher res, also I don't think the smearing or the response times are too bad but I'm also only playing non competitive games. So if you do video/ photo editing or play games like Metro, Horizon, Far Cry... go for the Samsung.

If you mostly play games like CS Go, you probably should go for the MSI.

And btw, the higher contrast on the VA is awesome

1 hour ago, Fatty said:

I'm currently eyeing two very closely priced monitors

• an MSI 24" 1080P IPS 144hz .flat

• a Samsung 27" 1440P VA 144hz .curved

i was obviously leaning towards the samsung for bigger size and higher res, but considering all the cons i am reading about VA panels and the really bad response times and bad smearing, i started considering the IPS.

These are the response times for the samsung (can't find one for the MSI)

Any advice?

Its really up tp your prefrences (IK that doesnt help you) but there isnt a right answer, I would prefer the 27 flat IPS usually but my brother would prefer the curved. althought if they are the same price then you get a higher relosution and more screen space with the 27 inch so i guess I would give the Samsung one the edge.

And I really think that in the tech comunity people really give pannel type way to much thaought, it does matter, but with todays tech and the maturity of all types of LCD pannels the averege person wont really feel a deference. As long as it has good reveiws on a couple of sites its fine, the pannel type shouldnt really bother you 

11 hours ago, Fatty said:

The ONLY thing bothering me about the panel type is the smearing of the VA, this asus tuf is more than x2 the price of the samsung, i would very much rather pay more for even a smaller screen if it means i can avoid that!

Look there are at list 20 years of LCD making expirience and the dark level smearing on VA's are not really noticble, but if you feel you are really sensetive to it then buy a TN pannel beause IPS has much more general smearing compared to VA dark level smearing, but I have a really low quality IPS pannel (I have a TUf gamiing laptop, they literaly have the worse IPS pannels in the market) and I see more general smearing then my brother's VA monitor. But if the smearing is really bother you then buy the IPS one, you should buy a thing you will enjoy using 

On 10/15/2020 at 1:52 PM, Stahlmann said:

"VA smearing" is not nearly as bad as many people make it out to be.

The ONLY thing bothering me about the smearing of the VA is this, this asus tuf is more than x2 the price of the samsung, i would very much rather pay more for even a smaller screen if it means i can avoid that!

On 10/16/2020 at 8:43 AM, Elad.Evron said:

IPS has much more general smearing compared to VA dark level smearing

IPS is actually the fastest LCD display tech these days but okay. Idk where you get that information from.

On 10/16/2020 at 8:43 AM, Elad.Evron said:

but I have a really low quality IPS pannel

That's pretty much why yours is so bad. Most modern IPS monitors deliver better response time performance than most VA ones. And at the high end IPS is almost always better in this regard. You'd really have to end up with a very low-end IPS monitor to get bad smearing.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

26 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

IPS is actually the fastest LCD display tech these days but okay. Idk where you get that information from.

That's pretty much why yours is so bad. Most modern IPS monitors deliver better response time performance than most VA ones. And at the high end IPS is almost always better in this regard. You'd really have to end up with a very low-end IPS monitor to get bad smearing.

if your so warried about it then buy the IPS one, theres nothing wrong with it