Razer Blade Stealth FPS Cap?

rony59turbo

Hey everyone. Just picked up a Razer Blade Stealth 1650 (non TI) and I have run into this strange issue. Whenever I play any games, or anything involving the gpu really on wall power, my fps gets capped at 40fps. Disabled all geforce experience options, reset nvidia control panel, tried both internal and external monitor, different power modes, nothing seems to work. Any help would be great

21 minutes ago, rony59turbo said:

Hey everyone. Just picked up a Razer Blade Stealth 1650 (non TI) and I have run into this strange issue. Whenever I play any games, or anything involving the gpu really on wall power, my fps gets capped at 40fps. Disabled all geforce experience options, reset nvidia control panel, tried both internal and external monitor, different power modes, nothing seems to work. Any help would be great

So it’s slower on wall power?  Is it still slower on wall power after the battery is fully charged?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

35 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So it’s slower on wall power?  Is it still slower on wall power after the battery is fully charged?

Not necessarily slower, as when i unplug from the wall it drops by about 5-10fps. The issue is that any game, and any benchmark will not go above 40fps regardless of wall power or battery power

image.png.c7ec8f5878554c4c564a279aa2cc8d81.png

go to nvidia control panel and try forcing v sync off. this only works with full screen applications

13 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

image.png.c7ec8f5878554c4c564a279aa2cc8d81.png

go to nvidia control panel and try forcing v sync off. this only works with full screen applications

Tried that, still no luck

6 hours ago, rony59turbo said:

Try going to something like https://www.testufo.com/ and make sure your panel is actually refreshing correctly, it's rare but possible you got a defective panel.

1 hour ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Try going to something like https://www.testufo.com/ and make sure your panel is actually refreshing correctly, it's rare but possible you got a defective panel.

Yep still not working. Curious thing is that if it is like a pre-rendered loading screen (an example is the Nvidia loading screen that plays prior to a game) that is uncapped and plays at 60fps or whatever frame rate the video is at. However the moment it gets into a game, 40fps lock. Happens in all games regardless of VSync as well

10 hours ago, rony59turbo said:

Yep still not working. Curious thing is that if it is like a pre-rendered loading screen (an example is the Nvidia loading screen that plays prior to a game) that is uncapped and plays at 60fps or whatever frame rate the video is at. However the moment it gets into a game, 40fps lock. Happens in all games regardless of VSync as well

So I'm guessing your native refresh is supposed to be 60hz? Well if it's verified working, what about a soft reset? Also, are you launching your games from a launcher like Steam or Origin? Or are they standalones?

5 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

So I'm guessing your native refresh is supposed to be 60hz? Well if it's verified working, what about a soft reset? Also, are you launching your games from a launcher like Steam or Origin? Or are they standalones?

Launching as standalone. Another example, is cinebench r15. If on wall power, it maxes out at 40fps, even though while on battery the 1650 is easily able to hit 80-100fps

27 minutes ago, rony59turbo said:

Launching as standalone. Another example, is cinebench r15. If on wall power, it maxes out at 40fps, even though while on battery the 1650 is easily able to hit 80-100fps

Gnar?  I thought you said it was slower on battery.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

35 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Gnar?  I thought you said it was slower on battery.

It is slower in more demanding things. Think I figured it out though. Reading around and in Nvidia control panel all my gpu dependent programs had a 40fps cap that wasn't a global option. Kinda strange but it works now

5 hours ago, rony59turbo said:

It is slower in more demanding things. Think I figured it out though. Reading around and in Nvidia control panel all my gpu dependent programs had a 40fps cap that wasn't a global option. Kinda strange but it works now

I found the option you're referring to, and that is indeed strange because the default option appears to be 'off' or uncapped. Very odd that yours had a cap without you setting it yourself. But at least it works, so good on you.

-> Moved to PC Gaming

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv