I want to build a NAS for just basic home use. I have about 11 500GB WD HDD's (not NAS drives) laying around so I would like to have a NAS with at least 8 bays (3 spares). I have a drive large enough to make a backup of the entire NAS. I plan to use the NAS for pictures, videos, movies and computer backups, as well as my game library backup. (about 2TB worth of data). I would like decent transfer speeds to it so maybe an SSD cache or RAM Disk? I would like to use FreeNAS because its free, unless anyone else has any better OS ideas. Price point, I would like to be under $250 max

I was thinking a Dell PowerEdge r520?

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

7 minutes ago, Chickenfans said:

Dell PowerEdge r520

Rackmount Dells are LOUD.

Be prepared for that.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

those tiny 8mm fans are going scream like you stepped on a baby foot.

Just get a couple of pci sata controller.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

45 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

those tiny 8mm fans are going scream like you stepped on a baby foot.

Just get a couple of pci sata controller.

51 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Rackmount Dells are LOUD.

Be prepared for that.

I need it to be rack mountable or at least fit in a rack mount case. Do you think just make a pc in a rack mount case? What specs to you recommended?

Get a 4U rackmount case, it should be similar as full ATX in dimension.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, Chickenfans said:

I was thinking a Dell PowerEdge r520?

THose work pretty well, thats what Id do here.

How much noise can you handle?

How fast do you need it? What network setup do you have? do you have 10g networking? Basically every os will use ram as a cache, but I don't think a ssd cache will help here.

44 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

THose work pretty well, thats what Id do here.

How much noise can you handle?

How fast do you need it? What network setup do you have? do you have 10g networking? Basically every os will use ram as a cache, but I don't think a ssd cache will help here.

My server rack is in my office so I’d prefer for it to be on the quieter side. I would like 100MB/s+ speeds at least. I have a Dell PowerConnect 5548 (with 2x 10 Gig SFP+ ports). I’ll use one of the 10-gig ports for this server.

1 minute ago, Chickenfans said:

My server rack is in my office so I’d prefer for it to be on the quieter side. I would like 100MB/s+ speeds at least. I have a Dell PowerConnect 5548 (with 2x 10 Gig SFP+ ports). I’ll use one of the 10-gig ports for this server.

Yea you should be able to hit 400mBit on this pretty easily over 10g. 

Id probably go with the used server if you don't mind a bit of noise and power usage. They also let you get ram cheap for them.

1 hour ago, Chickenfans said:

I need it to be rack mountable or at least fit in a rack mount case. Do you think just make a pc in a rack mount case? What specs to you recommended?

For noise level.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

For noise level.

Just saying, that is a different model, and noise varies between models. I have some of these rack servers, and there not bad when idle or under medium loads, the startup is very loud though. You can also easily mod them to be much quieter fairly easily too.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just saying, that is a different model, and noise varies between models. I have some of these rack servers, and there not bad when idle or under medium loads, the startup is very loud though. You can also easily mod them to be much quieter fairly easily too.

It was all I could find, but it does give the OP an idea of what to expect.

15 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

For noise level.

Oh yea even at idle that is too loud def going with an alt. Option.

EDIT: Oh wait that’s an r720

my server rack is 56 db atm and I would like it to stay around that mark

15 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What specs do you guys reccommend?

CPU: 4-cores?

RAM: 16GB?

57 minutes ago, Chickenfans said:

EDIT: Oh wait that’s an r720

This is true, but the 1U form factor are all going to be in that ballpark WRT noise. Given the age of that, expect some noise, modern ones are better as far as noise levels go, but still loud.

3 hours ago, Chickenfans said:

What specs do you guys reccommend?

CPU: 4-cores?

RAM: 16GB?

For a basic nas, a dual core and 8gb will be plenty.

THe issue is if you don't go the used server route, your probably gonna have to find used parts else where, as 250 is a pretyt tight budget.

18 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

For a basic nas, a dual core and 8gb will be plenty.

THe issue is if you don't go the used server route, your probably gonna have to find used parts else where, as 250 is a pretyt tight budget.

Ok, I found a video to make custom fan curves so I think that I can fix the loud fan issues on the Dell PowerEdge. Are the HP ProLiant's any good?

@Radium_Angel @SupaKomputa

8 hours ago, Chickenfans said:

HP ProLiant

There is a special circle in Hell reserved for HP, but their ProLiant gear is pretty good.