Parents PC Upgrade

ewkjung

Budget (including currency): ~$600 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: No gaming, mostly YouTube and streaming shows on a TV

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Prices on graphics cards are kinda ridiculous at the moment but I've looked at the 1650 Supers and not sure if it's necessary or not. My parents have been running a PC that's almost a decade old and anything would be a good upgrade tbh. Oh and I already have 8 GB of RAM so I don't need to buy that.

1 minute ago, ewkjung said:

Prices on graphics cards are kinda ridiculous at the moment but I've looked at the 1650 Supers and not sure if it's necessary or not. My parents have been running a PC that's almost a decade old and anything would be a good upgrade tbh.

If it's just for web browsing and watching videos, then integrated graphics should be fine. You can always add a GPU later if it becomes an issue. Current specs look pretty good to me for just a basic desktop for everyday web-browsing activities. I'd probably put somewhere around 8-12GB RAM. 16GB would be a bit excessive if it doesn't even have a GPU.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

I would just buy a NUC for that price and use case. It's small, elegant and sips power.

6 minutes ago, thebosserman34 said:

are you sure thats the part list the i3 9100 is 2 years old 

Yeah, didn't know it was that old but it fit the budget and had an integrated card which I figured would be okay for the time being.

6 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

If it's just for web browsing and watching videos, then integrated graphics should be fine. You can always add a GPU later if it becomes an issue. Current specs look pretty good to me for just a basic desktop for everyday web-browsing activities. I'd probably put somewhere around 8-12GB RAM. 16GB would be a bit excessive if it doesn't even have a GPU.

I think the most intensive thing it would be doing is watching videos that they recorded of them hiking.

6 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

I would just buy a NUC for that price and use case. It's small, elegant and sips power.

Not too familiar with NUC's but I'll definitely have to take a look before making any purchases.