Mechanical switdhes for typing that aren't mx blues

Mad153

Hello!

(And long time no see, forum!)

I have a surface laptop that I use for most of my work at school, but they keyboard isn't amazing for fast typing and has not much travel.

I tried a friend's keyboard with some blue switches but when I rested my hand on it, the keys already started to press. 

I'm not entirely sure if this is because of his keycaps, but I didn't really like the feeling because I couldn't rest my fingers. They're also quite noisy but I don't really mind.

So what switches should I get for a mechanical keyboard I'm planning to buy? I've seen others say something like white's, but there isn't much of a consensus on the posts I found.

Thanks 

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

Just now, Mad153 said:

So what switches should I get for a mechanical keyboard I'm planning to buy? I've seen others say something like white's, but there isn't much of a consensus on the posts I found.

Keyswitches are incredibly personal. Something you like, may be something someone else dislikes.

I think Kailh BOX White (which I think you are referring to?) are great clicky switches and indeed do not press down as easily as a MX Blues (which is a positive thing, if you lean on your keys and find your press down MX Blues quickly).

Kailh BOX Jade/Navy are of course alternatives, which are quite close to Kailh BOX White. I would check out those options.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

Kailh BOX Jade/Navy are of course alternatives, which are quite close to Kailh BOX White. I would check out those options.

Thanks!
I think they might have been talking about cherry whites, but I've lost that tab now so...

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

1 minute ago, Mad153 said:

Thanks!
I think they might have been talking about cherry whites, but I've lost that tab now so...

Cherry MX White are rather uncommon, which is why I assumed Kailh BOX White.

Personally I think the clicky BOX switches as a better choice too, if you feel like you press down Blues too easily.

Reason being, the Chery MX switches all have a design catered towards linear switches. The clicky switches just added what is called a 'clickjacket', which doesn't provide too much of a clicky feel (in my opnion).

The Kailh BOX clicky switches have a clickbar, which creates much more resistance, without just making the spring heavier (which is the different between a Cherry MX Blue and MX White).

Spoiler

img-explosion-mxblue@2x.png

The silver part in the middle there is the thing that provides much of the clickyness of a Cherry MX clicky switch, with the white teeth on the blue part also having a part in it.

Spoiler

Kailh BOX White Review and Release-Bzfuture

The Kailh BOX switches have a 'clickbar' (the metal wire/spring on the left) which gets pushed by the switch stem.

In my opinion, this makes Kailh BOX clicky switches better than Cherry MX clicky design.

But again, I had to use "my opinion" quite a few times here, because it really has a lot to do with personal preference. Maybe you wouldn't like these switches, it all depends on what you prefer.

If at all possible, it's best to get a switch testing kit, with a couple different switches, to actually feel for yourself what you might like most.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I'm one that really hate clicky switches ... like it's the most annoying thing that ever existed ... until I tried kailh box white ... those are heavenly compared to cherry or outemu blue ... I would highly recommend that you try those if you like clicky already ... or the kailh box navy as I've heard that the stiffer clickbar make them sound a bit deeper than the white.  Maybe it's my next set I'll buy

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD