Ok to put GPU in second slot?

Stlerfn

I have a PCIE 16x card I want to install but my Triple Slot GPU is covering the slot. Is it ok for me to move it down a slot? I have a Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI MOG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi Mobo, and an RTX 2070 Super.

Just now, Slottr said:

I don't understand why you can't use the first slot 

The first slot currently has my GPU. My GPU is covering the only other PCIE 16x slot because it’s triple slot size.

3 minutes ago, Stlerfn said:

I have a PCIE 16x card I want to install but my Triple Slot GPU is covering the slot. Is it ok for me to move it down a slot? I have a Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI MOG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi Mobo, and an RTX 2070 Super.

What type of card are you going to install? But the rule is the higher the gpu is up the better because the higher slots have higher bandwith and if you move the gpu down it could reduce fps etc

2 minutes ago, Bwithnewcast said:

What type of card are you going to install? But the rule is the higher the gpu is up the better because the higher slots have higher bandwith and if you move the gpu down it could reduce fps etc

It’s not that important, I was going to install an old Quadro I found lying around. If it’s going to hurt my gaming performance I won’t do it.

3 minutes ago, Bwithnewcast said:

Would it help if I change the top slot to 8x and the second slot to 16x?

7 minutes ago, Stlerfn said:

The first slot currently has my GPU. My GPU is covering the only other PCIE 16x slot because it’s triple slot size.

Oh I see. You'll lose some bandwidth- but you can try it yourself and see if the loss is great enough to warrant needing the primitive slot 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Oh I see. You'll lose some bandwidth- but you can try it yourself and see if the loss is great enough to warrant needing the primitive slot 

Would it be possible for me to change the second slot to 16x and the first to 8x. The new card doesn’t need a lot of bandwidth, just a slot that will fit it.

Assuming the slot physically can be 16x then sure you can change them around. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

How bad is the GPU covering the slot? Would a riser cable help?

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

6 minutes ago, n0stalghia said:

I am not sure where I could fit a riser cable. The slot is where I could plug in a card, but the airflow to my GPU would be non existent

6 minutes ago, n0stalghia said:

All Riser cables I know of require a place to mount them. If you know of one that would let me just reposition the card somehow, please let me know.

2 hours ago, Stlerfn said:

You may need to adjust bios settings to allow this, there may also be a bandwidth hit. But yes the GPU should work in any X16 slot.

So is this correct:

You have the choice of

1. lowering the triple slot GPU used for gaming, this provides better airflow.

2. restricting airflow by putting Quadro right underneath

3. putting the quadro even lower with less bandwith.

I would do 3. I've never seen a 2x decrease in pci bandwidth reducing fps. #1 is the second choice.

I would bet the quadro does not need much bandwith for compute rather than risk losing fps.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

4 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

So is this correct:

You have the choice of

1. lowering the triple slot GPU used for gaming, this provides better airflow.

2. restricting airflow by putting Quadro right underneath

3. putting the quadro even lower with less bandwith.

I would do 3. I've never seen a 2x decrease in pci bandwidth reducing fps. #1 is the second choice.

I would bet the quadro does not need much bandwith for compute rather than risk losing fps.

I do not have another 16x slot. Only 2 1x slots. 3 is not an option.

1 minute ago, Stlerfn said:

I do not have another 16x slot. Only 2 1x slots. 3 is not an option.

Lol 1x slots might not be that bad. I'd test it or ask regarding your use case.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Just now, LOST TALE said:

What I am saying is that the 16x Card will not physically fit in the 1x slot. It’s too small.

7 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

Sorry, I just looked at it and it might actually work. I didn’t realize there was a break in the PCIE connectors

15 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

I don’t think this will work because I believe that the 1x looking piece is for power delivery only. Correct me if I’m wrong.