Percentage distribution of total Budget for PC components ?

Hello,

How should one distribute the total budget on various parts of a PC?

I mean what % of the budget should be invested on CPU, GPU, RAM, MOBO, PSU, HDD/SSD, CASE.

Should there be a separate budget for monitor, peripherals and power backup (UPS)?

Thank you for you time.

it's not fixed and depends on what you do with your computer and what the budget is. the higher the budget, the higher the gpu and cpu percentage, as storage, case, psu, even mobo tens to stay almost the same.

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

it's not fixed and depends on what you do with your computer and what the budget is. the higher the budget, the higher the gpu and cpu percentage, as storage, case, psu, even mobo tens to stay almost the same.

Budget is around 1Lac -1.2Lac Indian Rupees (i.e. 1362 - 1633 US $).

PC would be used for mostly Adobe Suit,(for Graphic Designing, Photo and video editing), Occasional gaming, 3D Modelling and stuff. 

so you'd want quite a strong cpu, i'd probably spend:

25% - cpu

15% - mobo

10% - ram

25% - gpu

5% - case

10% - PSU

10% - storage

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

so you'd want quite a strong cpu, i'd probably spend:

25% - cpu

15% - mobo

10% - ram

25% - gpu

5% - case

10% - PSU

10% - storage

Thanks @boggy77.

I have also heard that the cpu and the gpu should be in 1:1.5 ratio... Is it some thing to be considered?

20 minutes ago, Priyesh said:

Thanks @boggy77.

I have also heard that the cpu and the gpu should be in 1:1.5 ratio... Is it some thing to be considered?

that's for a gaming system.

12 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

that's for a gaming system.

Oh okay.

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

Using percentages, ratios or other such things isn't very good way of planning any build. Pricing and availability is different, and you could be paying more on certain components than fits in your set ratios. As example, when I last upgraded fully midrange CPU was €200-250 and gaming GPU was same €200-250. If I would be doing similar build today, GPU is double the price of CPU. Except if I wanted to get more CPU power for those tasks where CPU is more important, then it again is more even in pricing.

So rather than look at some mold or follow point-to-point any guides, build your system as per your needs and budget. Get suggestions, not demand or orders.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

One decently popular rule of thumb is to spend 30-40 percent of your budget for the GPU if you're gaming.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

On 10/14/2020 at 3:11 PM, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

Using percentages, ratios or other such things isn't very good way of planning any build. Pricing and availability is different, and you could be paying more on certain components than fits in your set ratios. As example, when I last upgraded fully midrange CPU was €200-250 and gaming GPU was same €200-250. If I would be doing similar build today, GPU is double the price of CPU. Except if I wanted to get more CPU power for those tasks where CPU is more important, then it again is more even in pricing.

So rather than look at some mold or follow point-to-point any guides, build your system as per your needs and budget. Get suggestions, not demand or orders.

You are right. 

PC would be used for mostly Adobe Suit,(for Graphic Designing, Photo and Video Editing), Occasional gaming, 3D Modelling and stuff. 

What will you suggest?

On 10/14/2020 at 3:46 PM, Fatih19 said:

One decently popular rule of thumb is to spend 30-40 percent of your budget for the GPU if you're gaming.

Okay, What if productivity is main concern, with a pinch of gaming.

13 minutes ago, Priyesh said:

You are right. 

PC would be used for mostly Adobe Suit,(for Graphic Designing, Photo and Video Editing), Occasional gaming, 3D Modelling and stuff. 

What will you suggest?

With that you would still want rather beefy GPU. But considering the pricing of parts is high, I wouldn't pick newest generation of anything, and pinch even more on stuff you don't have need right now. So last gen Ryzen and and GPU. My problem is that I'm not in tune with what GPUs are good picks right now, and looking at pricing from PCPP doesn't really help either.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

38 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

With that you would still want rather beefy GPU. But considering the pricing of parts is high, I wouldn't pick newest generation of anything, and pinch even more on stuff you don't have need right now. So last gen Ryzen and and GPU. My problem is that I'm not in tune with what GPUs are good picks right now, and looking at pricing from PCPP doesn't really help either.

If I go with R7 3700x, should I pair it with RTX 2060 super or RTX 2070 super ?

Or should I go with R5 3600 instead and update to R7 5800x when its available?

& If I go with R5 3600, should I pair it with GTX 1660 super RTX 2060 super?  and update to RTX 3060 when its available?

Sorry, I am really confused.

3 hours ago, Priyesh said:

Okay, What if productivity is main concern, with a pinch of gaming.

Then you buy a GPU that fits your workload. If you're doing it professionally, it will pays for itself.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |