Have I ruined my pc?

Shakey89

So I needed a computer to help capture some video for remote meetings in the current situation. Trying to get my old computer going and everything was going great,

needed to pull a old drive out but my newly acquired second hand 960G1 was in the way. As I pulled it out the plastic around slot came off with it and not sure how to get it back on. (Yes the clip was removed, never had an issue removing gpus before as I help build and repair for others, just never had this issue.)

im in Australia (was tempted to submit for ROG reboot, if I could afford a new pc I would but I work in community support roles and pay isn’t the best, plus three kids. Hoping to be able to fix this.

The board is a Gigabyte GA-Z77x up5th with a 3770k and a got that I may now be able to use. 

help or suggestions would be appreciated. 

E7A77F84-5251-438F-BBE3-338035AF88D4.jpeg

Holy crap, ive never seen anything like this before :D

But for me it looks "undamaged". Meaning, as long as the pins are still intact and not ripped off as well, it looks like you could just clip the plastic cap back in again.
The plastic cap seems to have two feet that need to be clipped back into the wholes around the pins (one on the left end, the other on the right mid-end).

Remember: If you want me to see your reply - Quote me!

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

And... (but dont quote me on that lol), maybe, if you managed to clip it back in, try to retain it somehow. If the plastic cap got ripped out that easily, it might not sustain the weigth of the gpu for too long, making the gpu fall out of place bending the pins. But thats just an assumption tho

Remember: If you want me to see your reply - Quote me!

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

Never seen anyone manage to so this, pins look undamaged the plastic sheild probs slides on

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

What the hell. You should be able to slide it on to the pins carefully and hold it down with the clips.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

The pins do look fine one or two slightly out of line but easily straighten. Tried to place it back on but doesn’t want to just slide on unfortunately. Very small holes to slide them in and they are flat holes no bevel to guide the pins unfortunately. 

You have two more PCIe slots, the bottom one seems to be 4x, and the middle one 8x. You should be able yo just use the 8x slot with at most like 2% performance degradation, if anything at all.

The pins of the 16x spot seem to still be fine, so you may be able to put the plastic piece back on if you're really lucky. 

This isn't the first time I've seen this, by the way. :P

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

The ahesive (or whatever they used) must have given out. All seems fine and you should be able to put it back on if you are very careful. You may need to straighten out a pin or 2. If it's back on and it works again you might wanna glue it back on :p.

Yeah no glue or adhesive. Just seems to be the plastic lugs clipped through the pcb. If I get it on I will look at at least hot glueing it from the back. 

So update it looked like everything slipped in perfectly until I realised the last two pins were not in and one completely broken off guess I will just use the 8x just means I am limited to one capture card in the 4x