Intel starting to look like a good choice in the mid-high end....

Hey, this is just a discussion Don't act like 5yr fanboys thanks

so let me start my argument, now we don't have 3rd party benchmarks yet but by the prices we seen the r7 5800x is going to be 80$ more expensive in the us and in the eu the lowest price it was seen at is 470 euro and that's a 100 euro extra on top of the 10700k but assuming AMD showed us higher numbers than what were actually getting it might not be worth it to take a ryzen 7 over an i7 for me its worse, I live in Israel and the price here seems to be looking around the 140$ marks Now by the way its looking (at least here) I might just build my next system as an Intel one

My Build

Case:Lian-li O11 Dynamic white | Processor:Ryzen 9 5900x | CPU Cooler:Kraken X73 | Motherboard: gigabyte B550 vision D | Graphics Card:Asus ROG Strix Gaming Geforce RTX 3080 10GB OC | Ram: G.skill Trident Z Royal 32G(16x2) cl16-16-16-36 | Psu:Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB + Crucial P2 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | Case fans: 9 EK-Vardar EVO 120ER D-RGB |

I haven't watched any of the 5000 series Ryzen videos and havn't read anything about them yet so I won't comment not that. I'm just wondering, when did i7/r7 become mid end? Even with the core i9 and r8/r9, I would still consider the 7 series high end and the i3/r3 and i5/r3 as mid end.

Just now, The_russian said:

I haven't watched any of the 5000 series Ryzen videos and havn't read anything about them yet so I won't comment not that. I'm just wondering, when did i7/r7 become mid end? Even with the core i9 and r8/r9, I would still consider the 7 series high end and the i3/r3 and i5/r3 as mid end.

Yea I'll edit it I had a hard time on  what to acually write it since the 9 series i high end and 7 is like gaming high end

My Build

Case:Lian-li O11 Dynamic white | Processor:Ryzen 9 5900x | CPU Cooler:Kraken X73 | Motherboard: gigabyte B550 vision D | Graphics Card:Asus ROG Strix Gaming Geforce RTX 3080 10GB OC | Ram: G.skill Trident Z Royal 32G(16x2) cl16-16-16-36 | Psu:Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB + Crucial P2 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | Case fans: 9 EK-Vardar EVO 120ER D-RGB |

So...

i7 - 10700k -> 344€

Zen 3 - 5800X -> ~500€

• Both 8Cores,
  • Intel has GHz Advantage by almost 400-500MHz (no real Benchmarks for Gaming Performance yet, no OC information yet)
  • 20W less TDP (that a + for AMD),
  • i found m-ITX So1200 Mainboards cheaper than AM4 m-ITX Mainboards

It seems like AMD established themselfes in the market and are now raising prices. Their not the "bang for buck" choice, like they were a year before. But as already mentioned, were missing real world Gaming/Benchmark comparisons.

1 hour ago, yaboistar said:

we have no performance figures

Not other than the AMD provided stuff so far...

This is in part why I like to understand the underlying architecture and how they interact, as it gives you a ball park feeling for where things may end up. The 19% IPC increase claimed will probably be an average of a wide number of applications. Gaming may or may not be a part of that, since it is much more complicated when you have the GPU also as a significant performance influencer. Still, it's pretty certain we'll see some uplift over similar Zen 2 models from the CCX change as well as IPC improvements.

How games behave with CPU resource is as varied as other apps, some like total power, some might prefer fewer faster threads. So there could still be cases where Zen 3 wont take every single performance crown. 

Moving it over to people who build or buy systems, I suppose we can roughly break it into several categories.

1, low cost, value priority. When budget is very tight, you really want as much as you can get, and this has been an AMD stronghold since Ryzen

2, mid range is more complicated. The optimisation starts to change from value focus to meeting certain performance and feature targets. Price/performance isn't the only deciding factor, and there are wider considerations here.

3, high end, where people start to look at more performance optimisation, but not totally neglecting cost. Here people buy the 3080, not the 3090 for example.

4, I guess we have to put the "best of best" category here, where price is largely irrelevant. Ryzen arguably took this space everywhere outside gaming, with Zen 3 also taking this for gaming as well.

That leaves Intel mostly playing in the middle-high end, just like the subject title. If you have to have best of the best, then you might have to change components shortly. That doesn't make the viability of Intel offerings any less. If I had a 10900k for example, it is not like it would be obsolete overnight in early November. It'll still be a top tier gaming CPU, just not the top gaming CPU necessarily.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, CrossCroissant said:

So...

i7 - 10700k -> 344€

Zen 3 - 5800X -> ~500€

• Both 8Cores,
  • Intel has GHz Advantage by almost 400-500MHz (no real Benchmarks for Gaming Performance yet, no OC information yet)
  • 20W less TDP (that a + for AMD),
  • i found m-ITX So1200 Mainboards cheaper than AM4 m-ITX Mainboards

It seems like AMD established themselfes in the market and are now raising prices. Their not the "bang for buck" choice, like they were a year before. But as already mentioned, were missing real world Gaming/Benchmark comparisons.

Frequency means absolutely nothing without IPC figures. 

You can get a FX 5ghz CPU and it will perform like a 2Ghz 3700x lol. 

I have heard some people speculate that the Zen3 prices are going to be for the launch batch only, and after a month or two they might go down a little. I don't think something like this has happened before so i am not holding out hope.

I'm more concerned about being able to buy one close to launch. So much hype surrounding Zen3 like with the RTX 30 series launch, and from what I hear AMD is notorious with being unable to supply enough chips when they have hot stock.

On 10/12/2020 at 3:44 AM, CPUguy101 said:

Frequency means absolutely nothing without IPC figures. 

You can get a FX 5ghz CPU and it will perform like a 2Ghz 3700x lol. 

Not to mention that power consumption and heat output will be awful high as well...

On 10/14/2020 at 12:56 AM, pipnina said:

I have heard some people speculate that the Zen3 prices are going to be for the launch batch only, and after a month or two they might go down a little. I don't think something like this has happened before so i am not holding out hope.

I'm more concerned about being able to buy one close to launch. So much hype surrounding Zen3 like with the RTX 30 series launch, and from what I hear AMD is notorious with being unable to supply enough chips when they have hot stock.

Not gonna lie if stock is not available in launch I might do the stupid move and buy an i5 10500 or ryzen 5 3600 and just like play with that for 4 months

My Build