Can anybody give me some advice on buying a new set of headphones?

boozerc
  • Optimal Budget (Including currency)

Less than $200 US.

• Aim - are you gaming? Skype? General listening? Music production?

I'm going to use it for gaming, listening to music, and watching videos.

• What style would you like? Closed (completely encase the ear, open (sit on the ear) or buds (go into the ear)

I'd like an around the ear style.

• Jack size/Connection Type - Do you need 3.5mm (1/8") or 6.3mm (1/4") or even USB - Keep in mind adaptors are offered and sometimes included with headphones.

Either 3.5 mm or 6.3 mm, as long as there is an adaptor for the other type.

• Audio taste/genres - Do you want something with an emphasis on bass or something flatter?

I listen to a variety of genres: rock, pop, alternative, classical, rnb, blues, reggae, etc.

• Do you plan to use a sound card?

I plan to use it with a sound card and/or amplifier/DAC in the future but for the moment I'll be      using it on a laptop, phone, and ipod.

• Microphone required? Do you want a headset based one or an external one?

Nope, I don't want a headset.

Are there any new models that are coming out later in the year? Should I wait for them? Or are there any sales event that I should look out for?

Thanks in advance!

My vote is for Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohms or DT990pro.  Open or closed, your choice.  My DT990pro drives fine off my Galaxy Nexus.  An amp is much louder, though.

Amazon is your friend.  NCIX is selling a few of them too.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I would recommend the Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. You can get them for as low as US$90 on amazon and are some of the best value when it comes to headphones. They are made of plastic but are pretty rugged. You can get them with a coiled or straight cable, both 3m length. You don't really need an amp with these so they will be great for listening to music on your phone or laptop. 

You can find them in black (mostly), white and red (more expensive)

Note that they might not be the most comfortable headphones if you have a big head (like me)

Sounds like the ATH-AD700s from audio technica would suit your music taste perfectly while being excellent for gaming as well. They are open back though, not sure if that bothers you or not.

I highly recommend getting  Audio-Technica ATH-M50 as seen here: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U

They are a professional grade headphone, and if you're going to be using a soundcard, then this will just work for you. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

I would highly recommend the Sennheiser HD598 or HD558 paired with a good USB DAC or a sound card if you prefer. I prefer USB because it gives me a wide range of devices I can use it with but permanent sound cards can have better quality.

However, I've only ever owned the HD555 so I don't know if the new 558 is better or worse.

They are a bit pricey but well worth it in my view, plus the 598 colour looks really cool.

For a closed back i would say the Logitech UE-6000 - http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-982-000104-UE-6000-Headphones/dp/B0094S379U/ref=sr_1_45?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1367499094&sr=1-45&keywords=headphones

For an open backed it would have to be the Sony MA-900 - http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRMA900-Over-Style-Headphones/dp/B007DCCK60/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367499423&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+ma900

Both certainly on my would love to buy list, and these are fairly new models, some of the popular recommendations have been out for 5+ years by the way.

Headset

ATH-M50s ARE AWESOME, GET THEM. If you don't want those I would suggest the V-Mod Crossfade M80s.  

I'm also going to recommend the ATH-M50's. They are a phenomenal value, I got mine from Amazon for right at $100. I listen to black metal and classical and they sound superb.

I recommend AKG K701.

It sounds so flat that you can change the sound by EQ or by a headphone amp.

It's fun!

I agree with h264. Beyerdynamic DT770 or DT990Pro.

I'd probably say dt880's or hd598's over dt770/990, but that's me. not really a bad choice with any of them, just preference.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Thanks for all the inputs guys!

I think I'll choose between the ATH-M50 or the HD558. I'll just have to decide which would suit my needs better: open or closed headphones.

Must watch the techquickie video about open vs closed headphones repeatedly until I reach my decision.

To make it a little easier.

1. Do you have a lot of background noise where you plan to listen to music?

2. Do you have people who will be bothered by noise when you plan to listen to music?
If one or both are yes, closed would be better. If both are no, open would be better. Unless you have very specific opinions between open and closed, but to my knowledge all of the premium super break wallet headphones are open. You might want to consider doing the HD 558 modification also. Search around youtube for how to do it, pretty simple to do if I would say so.

To make it a little easier.

1. Do you have a lot of background noise where you plan to listen to music?

2. Do you have people who will be bothered by noise when you plan to listen to music?

If one or both are yes, closed would be better. If both are no, open would be better. Unless you have very specific opinions between open and closed, but to my knowledge all of the premium super break wallet headphones are open. You might want to consider doing the HD 558 modification also. Search around youtube for how to do it, pretty simple to do if I would say so.

I'm mainly going to use it at home so there will be minimum background noise and I'm less likely to bother people by noise. But I may also use it when travelling.

I think I'll go with the closed headphones. WIth that, I'll likely go with the ATH-M50, but I looked again at the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohms and the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. They are more expensive than the M50, are they worth the price? 

Here are the prices from amazon.com

ATH-M50 - $110

Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm - $178

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - $244

My concern for the DT770 250 ohm is that I'll have to have an amp to drive it properly right?

For the DAC/AMP, I'm looking at the fiio e17 if I"m going to need one. Since I'm going to be able to use it with the laptop, ipod, phone, and ps3 with s/pdif cable.

I think I'll go with the closed headphones. WIth that, I'll likely go with the ATH-M50, but I looked again at the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohms and the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. They are more expensive than the M50, are they worth the price? 

Here are the prices from amazon.com

ATH-M50 - $110

Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm - $178

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - $244

My concern for the DT770 250 ohm is that I'll have to have an amp to drive it properly right?

For the DAC/AMP, I'm looking at the fiio e17 if I"m going to need one. Since I'm going to be able to use it with the laptop, ipod, phone, and ps3 with s/pdif cable.

Any of those headphones would be fine, but IMO the Beyers are much more comfortable.

I'd get the E10 unless you plan on getting the E9 or the L7 to go with the E17.  USB is more than enough for 2 channels.

EDIT: Oh, PS3? doesn't that have HDMI? Can you just send the sound output to an a/v receiver and mix it there or plug in headphones?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

EDIT: Oh, PS3? doesn't that have HDMI? Can you just send the sound output to an a/v receiver and mix it there or plug in headphones?

I saw on a review that you can use the s/pdif output on the ps3 and connect that to the s/pdif input of the E17.

The ps3 is directly connected to a monitor with built-in speakers.

Here is the link to the review: http://www.headphonereviewhq.com/reviews/fiio-e17-review/

Beyer dt880's would suite all your genre's equally, while the dt770's or dt990's would cater for the slightly more bass heavy music better, but will still play your other music well. The hd598's would be a decent idea, but sennheiser has made the price rise and so they are no longer worth the money. They are also prone to cracking.

Thanks,

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Beyer dt880's would suite all your genre's equally, while the dt770's or dt990's would cater for the slightly more bass heavy music better, but will still play your other music well. The hd598's would be a decent idea, but sennheiser has made the price rise and so they are no longer worth the money. They are also prone to cracking.

Thanks,

Thanks for the input, but the Beyer DT880's are outside my budget. I'll take your word on the HD598's prone to cracking.

I also saw your post on a different thread with a link explaining about headphone impedance, amps/dac, etc. That was very helpful for understanding everything about headphones. I'll have to read more of those.

Thanks for the input, but the Beyer DT880's are outside my budget. I'll take your word on the HD598's prone to cracking.

I also saw your post on a different thread with a link explaining about headphone impedance, amps/dac, etc. That was very helpful for understanding everything about headphones. I'll have to read more of those.

No problem. I know people who have had the hd598's and they haven't cracked after many years, but it is a widely known problem.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

I highly recommend getting  Audio-Technica ATH-M50 as seen here: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U

They are a professional grade headphone, and if you're going to be using a soundcard, then this will just work for you. 

Professional grade??? In what sense?!?!?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Professional grade??? In what sense?!?!?

In the sense that they claim to be in the title... as false as that probably is. :P

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

You might want to consider doing the HD 558 modification also. Search around youtube for how to do it, pretty simple to do if I would say so.

It literally took my 5 minutes to do once I figured out how to remove the ear pads. It definitely sounds a lot nicer, and the bass sounds less boomy now that I have removed the foam on mine. If you're going to get the 558s, I would recommend it.

I made a guide on how to remove the ear pads on the 558s, since none of the youtube videos of it are really all that helpful.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13836-sennheiser-558-foam-removal-mod/

• 2 weeks later...

I can't really get the HD 558's because they are open backed.

Hey guys,

What do you think about this deal?

They are offering ATH-M50's modded with removable cable for $129, with an option of non-locking cable or threaded locking cable.

Here is the link:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50mkII