RX 580 Problem

KiritiaN

I have Zotac RX 580 4gb which I bought online. My monitor is an acer G196HQL which has VGA on it. The GPU only had 1 HDMI and 3 Displayport so I bought an adapter from displayport to VGA. I got display on BIOS but it displays no signal when it goes to the OS. Can you guys help me out ?

I just found out that the problem occurs when I install the gpu driver. Is there any fix on this ?

The RX 580 is among the most popular mining cards of all time. It's very likely it was used for mining, and quite possible it was flashed to a custom BIOS, which would explain why installing the drivers breaks it.

Could be a trash adapter. DisplayPort is digital and VGA is analog so the adapter really plays a role. If you cheaped out on it it probably is the problem.

Ada is worse than Ampere which is worse than Fermi, change my mind.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
    2X16GB Kingston Fury 3200mhz
  • GPU
    PowerColor 6950XT
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
    Main: ASUS PG27AQDM 240hz 1440p WOLED
    Secondary: Alienware AW2521HF 1080p 240hz
    Third: Samsung C34F791 UltraWide 1440p 100hz
    Fourth: LG 48' C2 OLED TV
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
    Logitech Z906 / Sennheiser 560s / Rode NT-USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

What card is it? RTX 580 is not a thing, and on a gtx580 there should be dvi-ports and one of those should be vga compatible.

1 hour ago, Tanaz said:

Could be a trash adapter. DisplayPort is digital and VGA is analog so the adapter really plays a role. If you cheaped out on it it probably is the problem.

It posts though, wouldn't work at all if it's the adapter. The card dies when he installs the drivers, which makes me think weird BIOS

6 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

It posts though, wouldn't work at all if it's the adapter. The card dies when he installs the drivers, which makes me think weird BIOS

I got this error in the AMD softwareimage.thumb.png.e2fd94195181ebc74450e4dcdc52063b.png

2 hours ago, Jeppes said:

What card is it? RTX 580 is not a thing, and on a gtx580 there should be dvi-ports and one of those should be vga compatible.

I think you read it wrong, the title says RX 580 which is an AMD Graphics card.

1 hour ago, KiritiaN said:

I got this error in the AMD softwareimage.thumb.png.e2fd94195181ebc74450e4dcdc52063b.png

Seems to me that it's exactly an adapter problem. When you install the driver it locks up the GPU because it can't work with the monitor. The Windows default driver doesn't have such limitation. @Aereldor I think if it were a vbios issue I doubt that would be the error he's getting.

edit: If you have a TV with an HDMI input you can try running the card on it and see if you get the same issue.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
  • GPU
    PowerColor 6950XT
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, UndecidedPurchaser said:

I guess its some weird oem card as Zotac usually only sells nVidia gpu:s. Plus Im pretty sure there was a ninjaedit on first post.

7 hours ago, UndecidedPurchaser said:

I'm sorry, I did edit the post. I typed RTX instead of RX at first.

6 hours ago, Tanaz said:

Seems to me that it's exactly an adapter problem. When you install the driver it locks up the GPU because it can't work with the monitor. The Windows default driver doesn't have such limitation. @Aereldor I think if it were a vbios issue I doubt that would be the error he's getting.

edit: If you have a TV with an HDMI input you can try running the card on it and see if you get the same issue.

Maybe HDMI to VGA adaptor could work ?

6 hours ago, Jeppes said:

I guess its some weird oem card as Zotac usually only sells nVidia gpu:s. Plus Im pretty sure there was a ninjaedit on first post.

Yes it is a Zotac RX580 OEM used cards that I think pulled out from mining.

@KiritiaN It's best if you get your hands on a display that the card can interface directly with first just to make sure it is an adapter problem. It's janky at best converting digital to analog signal. People that want to use CRT monitors either stick with older GPUs or get expensive ass adapters like the HD Fury that costs almost 300$. I know yours isn't a CRT but it still accepts analog only signal so you're bound to have problems with compatibility and latency.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
  • GPU
    PowerColor 6950XT
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

Just now, Tanaz said:

@KiritiaN It's best if you get your hands on a display that the card can interface directly with first just to make sure it is an adapter problem. It's janky at best converting digital to analogue signal. People that want to use CRT monitors either stick with older GPUs or get expensive ass adapters like the HD Fury that costs almost 300$. I know yours isn't a CRT but it still accepts analog only signal so you're bound to have problems with compatibility and latency.

I'm going to my mom's house to test it there since she has a TV that has HDMI. I will update after. Thanks by the way man :)

You should look into getting cheap 1080p monitor with digital input. They could be had for under 100 dollars nowadays.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

2 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

You should look into getting cheap 1080p monitor with digital input. They could be had for under 100 dollars nowadays.

That's under $100 for a brand new decent 1080p display, not just some generic junk monitor on Craigslist.

https://www.newegg.com/westinghouse-wh24fx9019-23-6-full-hd/p/N82E16824569003?Item=N82E16824569003

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Hello guys, when I tried the TV HDMI, it did display so I bought a HDMI to VGA adapter and now it also displays to my acer G196HQL. Thank you guys for helping me out!