Why does minecraft lag?

Hey Everyone,

I have a Lenovo G560 with an Intel core 2 duo 2.0 GHz and 4 gigs of ram. It's old but it does what I need. What I'm wondering is why I can play Modern Warfare 2 with less lag then Minecraft. This confuses me. Is it that Java is an inefficient coding language for games? Or is it that the developers haven't optimized it well? It bothers me that such a simple game is unplayable on my system.

Minecraft runs funky even on higher-end computers, it's just because of how the game's built. From my understanding Java's only partially to blame, the lag's mostly an affect of the game constantly rendering and being RAM speed intensive. They've sorta remedied the situation by adding in OpenGL rendering, but it honestly doesn't help that much. Aside from playing in all low settings there's some various mods you can get like Optifine which apparently help some.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

Short answer:

Java

It's much better now than it used to be, though.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

minecraft is unlike other games most games have a premade world that the computer already has thought up. minecraft however randomly creates the world as you play so the larger the world the more the computer has to randomly generate things. also everything in minecraft is changeable there is no set thing that can not be altered. where as in a game like cod there are walls and fake places and building that is just a shell so it is just loading essentially a picture. in minecraft it has to check every "tick" to see what has changed and if nothing has changed to keep it in place so you could say everything in minecraft is real and random. and other games are well games. hope that made sense and it helped.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

also java is very little to blame IMO

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Thanks guys, It makes more sense now. Still disappointing but at least I know what's up.

It would not surprise me if the code behind it all was a mess. Think about it, you've got a game that's been constantly added onto for the last 4 years, each time adding more and more into it. If you do that with any system, physical or synthetic - you'll end up with inefficiencies. 

Minecraft used to be a joke :( People would say can your PC run minecraft hur hur hur. I think having to code all the new stuff into the game caused some major issues with how the game renders internally. Hopefully when they actually stop adding stuff for awhile that they'll at least work on the game engine itself.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Notch should like, stop using Java and use a proper game engine, that way you can mod the crap out of it and it won't be lagging. (providing they keep the graphics as it is) 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

It runs bad because updates not only add new features but add new functionality. When this happens code has to be changed in a ton of places and with constant updates it leads to inefficiencies. And think about it, minecraft was truly unique when it came out. Fps's have been around now for many years and they must share the basic structure that has been perfected over the years. Minecraft does not have that advantage.

It just eats up PC's and spits them out, In all honesty as others have said it's Java that causes some of the issues and the fact the game is completely random on generating worlds and is constantly changing doesn't help either. 

The problem does not from java. Java is a solid language, however the user is required to configure java outside of the game prior to launching to get better performance. The game code could be cleaned up a little for better performance but it's not poorly written.

Minecraft can load more data than most games. While it's not graphically intense (vanilla) it is very heavy on CPU, Ram, and hdd reads/writes. When you are loaded into the game, every single block is loaded.

There are 65,536 blocks per chunk. 441 chunks are loaded with the default view distance 28,901,376 blocks that the game loads in memory and calculates for spawning, movement, water, updates, etc. Every time you walk 16 blocks, a row of chunks behind you gets unloaded, and a new row infront gets loaded constantly stressing your HDD.

Some of the best ways to get more performance out of minecraft. Use 64 bit java, make sure you allocate additional ram to minecraft prior to launching, use a mod such as optifine to indepth tweak visuals, upgrade to an SSD or better yet use Ramdisk if you have enough ram. And of course check the minecraft forums performance thread for details and additional configs

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Using a good launcher like SKCrafts one also improves performance for my high-end machine. It lets me allocate way more ram and configure a load of game stuff like resolution before I even launch it. 

try going to C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft

You probably want to backup your saves, texture packs and stats..  

Delete everything in there

Run minecraft.exe and allow it to update

Go back into that file and overwrite it with you backups if you made any

See if it fixed the problem..

Other than that, Make sure your on the correct version of java..  Minecraft has allot of problems if you dont have the exact right version.. although its usually crashes not lag

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

Decreasing your draw distance from what I remember can help a lot.

Modern Warfare 2 can be played just fine on an old Pentium 4 system. There's no surprise that you find MW2 having less lag compared to Minecraft that uses a lot more of your laptop's resources.

Short answer: Laptop + Java is still broken.

~meOw! Σ:3

one thing i have noticed is minecraft runs alot smoother if you run a local server then connect to it 

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald