First build (sanity check)

AnthS

Budget (including currency): €2.8K

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 1440p 144hz gaming and video rendering

I'm planning on buying the parts for my first build in the next few days (all except GPU). I just wanted to post the parts to see if anyone sees something wrong with the choices as I just got into PC building.

Wait for zen 3 if you can.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

Looks solid, but not really sure why you would need 32GB of RAM. Simple solution is use a web browser that's not chrome. 

I would suggest waiting for the performance reviews of the new Zen 3 processors. Once they are out you can make a decision on which one is best for you. Assuming the nvme ssd is for your os and programs, perhaps 256 GB would be enough? Then you could get a larger sata ssd for storage. I would also recommencd the Corsair RMX 850 V2 instead of the psu you have in the list.

To the person who mentioned the ram, for video editing at this budget 32 GB of RAM is the minimum.

1 minute ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Wait for zen 3 if you can.

I'm already over the initial budget and the 5800x would be ~150 euros more than the 3800xt. About 40% more.

5 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Looks solid, but not really sure why you would need 32GB of RAM. Simple solution is use a web browser that's not chrome. 

32 RAM for video rendering and possibly 3D work in the future.

3 minutes ago, CheekyBugger said:

I would suggest waiting for the performance reviews of the new Zen 3 processors. Once they are out you can make a decision on which one is best for you. Assuming the nvme ssd is for your os and programs, perhaps 256 GB would be enough? Then you could get a larger sata ssd for storage. I would also recommencd the Corsair RMX 850 V2 instead of the psu you have in the list.

Edit: For video editing at this budget 32 GB of RAM is the minimum.

The Corsair 850x was my first choice but I can't find it in any store in Romania. Same goes for the mobo. I might buy the mobo from caseking, in that case I'll be buying the Corsair PSU from them as well.

When do you think the reviews for Zen 3 will start appearing?

I assume on november 5th. But you should wait nonetheless, zen 2 prices may go down once zen 3 is released.

7 minutes ago, AnthS said:

I'm already over the initial budget and the 5800x would be ~150 euros more than the 3800xt. About 40% more.

What are you talking about? $450 is 380€, just 3€ more than the 3800XT.

Also, just buy the 3800X if you don't want to go Zen 3. It's about 320€.

20 minutes ago, AnthS said:

I would replace the 860 Evo with a hard drive. HDDs are great value for bulk storage (like games and video) You'll eat right through that 1TB if you keep footage long term.

Bummer, I was thinking that reviewers would get them faster.

2 minutes ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

I would replace the 860 Evo with a hard drive. HDDs are great value for bulk storage (like games and video) You'll eat right through that 1TB if you keep footage long term.

To that €380 you need to add taxes. The only store in Europe that has listings for the new CPUs put the 5800x at €520.

Yeah I was also thinking on a HDD instead of the 860 Evo. Haven't decided yet.

• I'd get a better monitor. That one is really bad....TN panels just aren't worth that kind of money.
  • Don't get the MSI X570 boards, they're trash.
  • You can get a cheaper keyboard, and use some of the money saved to grab a 5800X instead. Have you tried their switches? I have one with their Romer Gs and I wasn't a huge fan.

Welcome to the forum.

2 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

Firefox isn't exactly any lighter. I'm definitely getting 32GB of RAM in my next PC.

2 hours ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

Pricing doesn't work like that. It's often the same price as in the US, just they say Euro instead of USD...ie $450 in US, 450 Euro.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 hours ago, dizmo said:
  • I'd get a better monitor. That one is really bad....TN panels just aren't worth that kind of money.
  • Don't get the MSI X570 boards, they're trash.
  • You can get a cheaper keyboard, and use some of the money saved to grab a 5800X instead. Have you tried their switches? I have one with their Romer Gs and I wasn't a huge fan.

Welcome to the forum.

The monitor is IPS. I especially searched for IPS monitors with DP 1.4, chose the LG 27GN850 but then found this one at a cheaper price. They use the same panel.

I know the first MSI X570 boards were bad, but the Tomahawk came out a few months ago and according to reviews they did a great job this time (especially at this price point).

That's exactly what I'm doing today: going to a showroom to try out keyboards, especially the switches. And also look at some monitors. I just hope they'll have a few that I had in my selection.

Thanks! 😀

1 minute ago, AnthS said:

The monitor is IPS. I especially searched for IPS monitors with DP 1.4, chose the LG 27GN850 but then found this one at a cheaper price. They use the same panel.

I know the first MSI X570 boards were bad, but the Tomahawk came out a few months ago and according to reviews they did a great job this time (especially at this price point).

That's exactly what I'm doing today: going to a showroom to try out keyboards, especially the switches. And also look at some monitors. I just hope they'll have a few that I had in my selection.

Thanks! 😀

....Dell really needs better naming schemes for their monitors 😛 Actually the whole industry does, but that's a rant for another time.

I still wouldn't get an MSI board. They don't have great customer service, and every MSI board I've had has developed issues either immediately or over time.

I'm not sure if it's available where you are, but check for the G.Skill KM780. By far the best keyboard I've used yet; far better than the K70 I had and my friends K95. It was also only $60 (I imagine it'll be more expensive where you are, but it's worth a gander).

I also really, really recommend getting an ultrawide monitor. Once you go ultrawide, you'll never go back and you'll wonder why you waited so long.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

....Dell really needs better naming schemes for their monitors 😛 Actually the whole industry does, but that's a rant for another time.

I still wouldn't get an MSI board. They don't have great customer service, and every MSI board I've had has developed issues either immediately or over time.

I'm not sure if it's available where you are, but check for the G.Skill KM780. By far the best keyboard I've used yet; far better than the K70 I had and my friends K95. It was also only $60 (I imagine it'll be more expensive where you are, but it's worth a gander).

I also really, really recommend getting an ultrawide monitor. Once you go ultrawide, you'll never go back and you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Believe me I was so confused by the names of some monitors. Ones with just a letter changed, trying to see what the difference is only to find out that one just doesn't have USB ports / DP 1.4 over 1.2 or something like that.

Maybe I'll look some more into this mobo, the other option was ASUS TUF Gaming Plus.

Can't find that G.Skill keyboard anywhere in Romania or other sites that ship here from the EU. I was also looking at the K70 because there's a Cherry Silent switches version but it's just so ugly (imo), especially the font on the keycaps.

I pondered going for a ultrawide but the price jump is kind of huge.

11 minutes ago, AnthS said:

Believe me I was so confused by the names of some monitors. Ones with just a letter changed, trying to see what the difference is only to find out that one just doesn't have USB ports / DP 1.4 over 1.2 or something like that.

Maybe I'll look some more into this mobo, the other option was ASUS TUF Gaming Plus.

Can't find that G.Skill keyboard anywhere in Romania or other sites that ship here from the EU. I was also looking at the K70 because there's a Cherry Silent switches version but it's just so ugly (imo), especially the font on the keycaps.

I pondered going for a ultrawide but the price jump is kind of huge.

If you have access to Dell, they usually have excellent holiday sales. An ultrawide monitor is worth the investment; the monitor can go with you through several builds.

Eh I hated the K70 (and the K95). The volume scroll wheel felt like complete trash. Sticky, didn't roll nicely. The Romer G switches weren't great either. If you're looking to get a mechanical keyboard, I'd definitely get a switch tester if you're unable to test all of the different kinds in store. No amount of research or questions on forums will let you know which switch type you're going to like best.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Couldn't find a store that has switch testers for sale here. I just hope the showrooms that I'm visiting today will have a wide range of switches that I can actually test. Up until now I've made my decision based on specs and sound tests on YT.