Do I need a NAS drive?

I have a Dell Precision T7910 that I will be using as my new NAS. Given it's a workstation with room for 10 hard drives, would it be wise to spring for NAS drives? I would be running the system 24/7 using Windows Server 2019 Datacenter.

you can if you want , they'll still turn off when not in use regardless of the drive type so up to you

You don't NEED one. A normal desktop drive can function in a NAS without any particular issues. 

When you start putting more drives in the system, things like vibration protection and TLER for RAID arrays can help with drive life and data integrity. 

Personally, I'd say use desktop drives and spend the money you save on a good backup solution to backup the data that's important to you. I personally use a mixture of desktop and NAS drives in my home server. 

13 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Personally, I'd say use desktop drives and spend the money you save on a good backup solution to backup the data that's important to you. I personally use a mixture of desktop and NAS drives in my home server. 

That's a solid advice. Totally agree on this. 

I am using WD black in my NAS/SAN for last 3 years and only 2 of 10 failed during that time (taking into account that they are working 24/7 and always under the load), so you can use any of the disks especially if you will use some sort of RAID for the data. And always do the backups, no matter what drives types is.

The Seagate Ironwolf drives are pretty solid for the price. I have 20-25 of the things deployed at the moment in my NAS.

At the end of the day it all depends on how much you value the data, if you have it all backed up anyway then the likelyhood is  you're not too worried if a drive claps out and dies. BUT if this is say like a media server and you do value the data then maybe you'd want to look into using a small RAID array or NAS rated drives. 

I can't stop spending money my stupid home lab, help.

I recently purchased a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo (RND2000) with 4tb storage. 

All setup and it works but man oh man the GUI is so outdated and not user friendly. Any suggestions of 3rd party software that I could use?