Fans on both sides of AIO radiator

Rothhaus
Go to solution Solved by TetraSky,

You mean, Push Pull config?

Yes, it is a thing that is possible.

Ivd1g.png

Whether or not it is possible with your case, that remains to be discussed

Im considering buying some noctua fans for my watercooler, my current setup is a 240 mm aio and I've placed it in the front of my case, my case came with 3 led fans and I kinda want to keep them, so I was wondering wether or not it is possible to place 4 fans on the aio, 2 on either side? I've found some fans from noctua that should be great at cooling radiators. The current fans that sits in the front of my case is corsairs SP 120mm series, will it be a problem if I run them together with 2 noctua nf-s12a so that the corsair ones will be in the front of the AIO pulling air in and the noctua ones will be behind the AIO pulling the air further in to the case?

Ivd1g.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Ivd1g.png

Alright thanks, I just couldn't find anything with 240 mm radiators only 120 mm but glad to hear it works both ways!

Push/pull is only actually even an advantage in quite specific situations and then only if you are concerned with specific things.  Get outside the envelope for these situations and it turns into a disadvantage quite quickly.  Part of the problem is the second fan is radically less efficient 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Rothhaus said:

Alright thanks, I just couldn't find anything with 240 mm radiators only 120 mm but glad to hear it works both ways!

Just make sure not to mess up which side of the fan air is pushed from. You don't want a Push Push config or a Pull Pull.

The size of the rad doesn't matter either, as long as it has the holes for fans on both sides.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Push/pull is only actually even an advantage in quite specific situations and then only if you are concerned with specific things.  Get outside the envelope for these situations and it turns into a disadvantage quite quickly.

How so?

5 minutes ago, Rothhaus said:

How so?

Gets complicated.  The traditional use for push pull is noise reduction (which is kind of counter intuitive because you’re doubling the amount of spinning motors and blades). The deal is the fan speed vs noise production graph is not quite  flat. There’s a hook at the bottom.  If (and only if) you have a fan and cooler where the fan runs slowly enough to be very near the hook but not in it, the 20% boost of a second fan can  reduce fan speed enough to put both fans inside the hook making less total noise even though there are twice the fans.  If the second fan DOESNT put both fans inside the hook you just get more noise though.

There may be another situation regarding static pressure and radiators.  I know less about that though.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

-> Moved to Air Cooling

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv