Worse RAM frequency with 4 x 8 GB, compared to dual channel mode

Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded my system with 2 more (2 x 8 GB) Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz sticks. This is the exact same kit I already ran in my system for about 2 years. I ran the old one's at 3200 MHz (XMP). The new one's I can even run at 3266 MHz. But when I run all 4 together I can't get over 2800 MHz. I wonder what's the problem. Maybe someone can help :)

I have a Ryzen 7 2700X (not overclocked) and an Asrock B450M Pro motherboard. My power supply should have enough watts (650).

Thank you for your help :)

It's probably a combination of the fairly mediocre IMC of Zen+, your motherboard's memory topology and the fact that the kits are not matched.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

it's well known that ryzen 1000 and 2000 series have quite weak memory controllers that struggle with running high speed ram. on 2000 series, it's pretty difficult to get 2 sticks of ram above 3000, with 4 sticks it's almost impossible.

try to increase the SOC voltage to 1.1 and see if you can get them to run at 2933.

Thank you, I will try this. What about normal voltage? It's set at 1,35V - I increased it to 1.4V and it runs stable.

50 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

it's well known that ryzen 1000 and 2000 series have quite weak memory controllers that struggle with running high speed ram. on 2000 series, it's pretty difficult to get 2 sticks of ram above 3000, with 4 sticks it's almost impossible.

try to increase the SOC voltage to 1.1 and see if you can get them to run at 2933.

System works now on SOC 1.1 V and RAM 1.4 V at 2933 MHz. Thank you. I will try to go higher though

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

So would you recommend that I better run 2 sticks at 3333 MHz given the better performance for Ryzen?

Because when I run 4 sticks I can only geht to 2933 MHz max. Should I send back the 2 extra sticks?

Do you need more memory? Can you sell your old sticks and buy 16GB modules? Is that difference important?

obraz.thumb.png.54a36b8e3a7ee98db41dd883faa6f345.png

You're performing better than the table suggests, but as you can see more sticks = lower frequency.

28 minutes ago, LenniLoader said:

So would you recommend that I better run 2 sticks at 3333 MHz given the better performance for Ryzen?

Because when I run 4 sticks I can only geht to 2933 MHz max. Should I send back the 2 extra sticks?

if 16gb of ram were enough in the first place, why did you get the extra kit

and yes, usually, the trade-off for having more ram is running it at slower speeds.