Hand tattoos pros and cons

shadowbutt7

G'day gents. Been thinking about getting some hand tattoos (on the tops of my hand) I'm an electrician who works for a family member, and soon to work for myself. So I have a feeling my job won't really depend on vanity all that much, but. I just wanna know some pros and cons of having hand tattoos. Regarding like job opportunities, interactions with people, how people see me. All of that kind of thing

A bit of background. I'm a fairly nice person and I don't drink, or smoke, party, etc. None of the things people who have tattoos on their neck and hands are prejudged for being. i don't consider myself to be rebellious, nasty or anything bad. I've just always liked hand tattoos, heavy music and just generally the look (vanity) of people such as Tim henson. 

Tim henson has some great tats. 

The answer is quite simple! It completely depends on what kind of tattoo you have. If you have some, idk a damned skull or something then ofcourse people are gonna get a different view of you. Sadly people do judge on looks before personality. Everyone does. Even subconciously. 

If you have a nice tattoo, there'd be very little cons. 

If you get a nice tat, feel free to show me! 

just look up, top 100 dumbest tattoos,

and learn what NOT to do from that.

personally i don't want one right now, but i know that if i do end up getting one, it's one that i can hide if i end up regretting it, but also one i can show off if i want to, like the shoulder.

So i'd suggest after making up your mind, just rethinking one last time, even though you're 100% sure, as they're hard to hide on the hands.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Dunno about electricians, but many industries -- particularly those that are customer-facing -- make you cover up your tats on the job.  You can wear gloves, but is that something you want to risk having to do?  

I also imagine a back of hand tattoo will hurt like a biznatch, but that's probably not much of a concern, though the fact that the hand is generally very lumpy and stretchy will increase the likelihood of a botched tat that'll be hard to cover up.  

Apparently there's also a problem called "tattoo blowout" that occurs on body parts with thin skin or frequent movement.  If the tattoo hits a knuckle or the wrist, then you're going to be at higher risk of it (it just deforms the tattoo -- doesn't actually injure you or anything).

On the flip side, the back of the hand gets virtually no droopage with age, so your tat will remain in closer to pristine condition for longer.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

I worked in a tattoo studio for a time.

There is a reason ink isn't for below the wrist or ankle, these are high wear areas and the constant wear will rub your ink into a blurry mess, which is almost impossible to correct.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I worked in a tattoo studio for a time.

There is a reason ink isn't for below the wrist or ankle, these are high wear areas and the constant wear will rub your ink into a blurry mess, which is almost impossible to correct.

I think the back of the hand is slightly better than the fleshy thumb bit or knuckles, but yeah, generally pretty crap spot. Along with being forced to wear gloves or miss out entirely from certain positions it tends to fade/blur/smear and look pretty shit.

#Muricaparrotgang

19 hours ago, shadowbutt7 said:

G'day gents. Been thinking about getting some hand tattoos (on the tops of my hand) I'm an electrician who works for a family member, and soon to work for myself. So I have a feeling my job won't really depend on vanity all that much, but. I just wanna know some pros and cons of having hand tattoos. Regarding like job opportunities, interactions with people, how people see me. All of that kind of thing

A bit of background. I'm a fairly nice person and I don't drink, or smoke, party, etc. None of the things people who have tattoos on their neck and hands are prejudged for being. i don't consider myself to be rebellious, nasty or anything bad. I've just always liked hand tattoos, heavy music and just generally the look (vanity) of people such as Tim henson. 

Hey, thanks everyone for your feed back. So far I'm still on the fence about it, but. Im more towards the doing it side. There are a few bad things about it. Mainly people saying stuff about botched jobs and placement on the hand. Regarding that. I'm planning on going to a fairly well known artist (whom I've seen work from) and he's amazing. I've had a chat to him and he says it should be ok because roughly what I'm planning doesn't go near knuckles or onto the fleshy parts of my hand. And I should also mention that I don't particularly think seeing customers is going to matter. I live in Australia and our culture of tattoos compared to the US and Canada are very different. Almost every person here has tattoos, especially tradies (tradesmen) 

Also regarding if its appropriate or not. I'm planning on two fallen angels (one on each hand) that are kind of minimalistic. I'm not religious at all, but they have a very large meaning to me (especially on my hands)

8 hours ago, shadowbutt7 said:

I'm planning on two fallen angels

Detail demands size, this isn't paper they are working with and the canvas is living material that grows and changes over time. So any artist who says they can put something detailed on your hands, and says it'll be fine, is after your money only.

If you can, post images of what you want here, and I'll let you know if your hands are the place for that.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Nah, I don't think inking your body is a great idea because it looks cool only for some days and you regret it later for not able to get it removed without a surgery. Go for temporary tattoos that fade away in a few days. Permanent ones appear useless to me.

On 10/8/2020 at 10:12 AM, shadowbutt7 said:

Pros: dunno

Cons: tatooing your hand is extremely painful

I don't know about in Australia but they are sometimes still looked down on here in my country by some people.

Older people don't think much of it. They seem to generally have the attitude that your low class or stupid for getting them.

I saw a guy ahead of me in a job interview get snubbed for it one time and I could tell he needed that job.

I've heard people say you can get them removed if at some point you regret doing it but it is not cheap.

I'd say don't do it but that's me.

I don't like Tats myself mainly because it says in the Old Testament not to mark yourself but you say your not a religious person.