Looking for tips on older OLD pc gaming

Terriikk

I am looking for advice when it comes to playing older, 20 year old RTS/City builder games. Titles like

Age of Empires II

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga

Zeus/Pharoah/Ceaser

I got my hands on a Dell Dimension of some kind, it's got a Celeron D CPU, runs on DDR1 memory, and has NO VGP or PCI E ports. I'd like to use it to play older titles that do not like my much more modern machine. Here are my questions. Do I need to consider getting it some kind of graphics chip, and would it hurt to connect it to my 2k monitors (I am aware that my older games won't display in 2k and that's fine) Are there any anti virus programs I should consider? I also will be getting a Compaq Presario SR5605F which runs Vista, and has some more modern features. Could I run a 32 bit Windows 7 and get good compatability, or am I better off sticking to the older PC. Thanks for the comments

Dell Dimension

10 minutes ago, Terriikk said:

Do I need to consider getting it some kind of graphics chip, and would it hurt to connect it to my 2k monitors

No damage will occur, but the iGPU in those motherboards will be noticably slow to draw even simple things. You'll want dedicated graphics.

Are there any anti virus programs I should consider?

You should not consider connecting this PC to Internet.

Compaq Presario SR5605F

Could I run a 32 bit Windows 7 and get good compatability

This guy is going to chug hard on Windows 7 as-is. Memory and CPU upgrades are cheap, and will bring it to run Windows 7 reasonably. 64 bit should also run natively on this platform.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

6 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Dell Dimension

No damage will occur, but the iGPU in those motherboards will be noticably slow to draw even simple things. You'll want dedicated graphics.

You should not consider connecting this PC to Internet.

Compaq Presario SR5605F

This guy is going to chug hard on Windows 7 as-is. Memory and CPU upgrades are cheap, and will bring it to run Windows 7 reasonably. 64 bit should also run natively on this platform.

Depending on which PC I kept, I'd upgrade the hardware. The Dell Dimension is VERY limited on what it can accept. I wouldn't mind using the Compaq machine and upgrading it. I'd probably keep it as a 32 bit system, to my knowledge older programs don't work well on a 64 bit program. But to that, if I kept it at a 32 bit say Windows 7 PC I imagine it'd be a more useable experience

WinXP and no internet connection is way to go. Though Age of Empires 2 has been remade to run on modern hardware, so you don't need to go retro with that. Unless you really want to.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You're right, I don't it was just some of the ones that came to mind. I guess what I'd really like to know is if these games might work okay in a 32 bit OS, or if I really should consider an OS as old as XP

On 10/7/2020 at 11:24 AM, Terriikk said:

You're right, I don't it was just some of the ones that came to mind. I guess what I'd really like to know is if these games might work okay in a 32 bit OS, or if I really should consider an OS as old as XP

Best thing to know what kind of OS/System game is made for is to check it from Wikipedia. I only know AoE2 as thats something I played a ton when I was younger. And it was before WinXP (released 2001).

So none of these would work well with 64bit as that became mainstream with Win7 in 2009. I would recommend using XP since it has compatibility for DOS-based games. Meaning that anything released for Win95 and newer should still work. If you can get Win98 or Win2k, those would be even better for these games.

I would recommend also checking out GOG.com if you don't mind paying bit more for modern compatibility. https://www.gog.com/games?devpub=impressions_games&page=1&sort=popularity

https://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_galactic_battlegrounds_saga

And the Age of Empires 2 from Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/813780/Age_of_Empires_II_Definitive_Edition/

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Dune 2, a true Classic.

DOSBox is your Friend.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO