Psu battle

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What parts is this for and where are you located?

here is the hardware im trying to power

ryzen 7 3700x 

asus rog strix b550-f 

gigabyte 2070 super

crucial ballistix rgb 16g ram

coolermaster radiator liquid cooler

2tb harddrive and 240gb ssd 

im in Australia Victoria

I'd buy Seasonic.  They actually manufacture PSUs and have been around for a long time.

The OP is looking for a PSU that doesn't let him down.  He can always figure out for himself what he can afford and what he can get much better than any of us can.  If he really doesn't want any other ideas, he could have said so.  Don't try to make others dumb.

20 minutes ago, heimdali said:

I'd buy Seasonic.  They actually manufacture PSUs and have been around for a long time.

Do not give that advice. 

1. Model>Manufacturer

2. Just because some has been around for a long time doesn't mean it's good

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

32 minutes ago, FEAR_malik said:

here is the hardware im trying to power

ryzen 7 3700x 

asus rog strix b550-f 

gigabyte 2070 super

crucial ballistix rgb 16g ram

coolermaster radiator liquid cooler

2tb harddrive and 240gb ssd 

im in Australia Victoria

being honest that's not the greatest build ever, and if you havene't purchased it yet, new products are just around the corner (less than n2 months away from release) that can boost your performance in most applications by a large amount. For that build however, I'd reccomend going with something like a enermax revolution D.F (650w/850w).

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

2 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

being honest that's not the greatest build ever, and if you havene't purchased it yet, new products are just around the corner (less than n2 months away from release) that can boost your performance in most applications by a large amount. For that build however, I'd reccomend going with something like a enermax revolution D.F (650w/850w).

i havent purchased anything yet thats more like a draft but do you think getting a new zen 3 ryzen thats coming out soon and a 3070 rtx would be good?

45 minutes ago, FEAR_malik said:

basically im looking for a powersupply that wont be bad pretty much, i dont want to be let down what do you guys think of these 2 power supplies in terms of price and effiecency?

In Win PB 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply vs Deepcool 750 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply

The IN Win is a Tier A PSU so out of those two I would go with that.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

4 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

The IN Win is a Tier A PSU so out of those two I would go with that.

Got it thanks!!

1 minute ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Do not give that advice. 

1. Model>Manufacturer

2. Just because some has been around for a long time doesn't mean it's good

I'm not sure what you mean by 1.

True, just because a manufacturer has been around for a long time doesn't necessarily mean that what they make is good.  In this case, it's some indication that what a manufacturer that makes nothing but PSUs must be doing something right or they wouldn't be around anymore.  Check out their website and you will notice that they make PSUs for all kinds of applications and not only for gaming computers.  That may tell you that they know what they're doing.  I have one of their PSUs in my server, and it's been running for 3 years, it's power efficient and makes no noise.  Do your own research, check out reviews and whatever information you can find.

I'm not recommending or suggesting something out of nothing or because a manufacturer has been around for a long time.  I suggested Seasonic because I think they make good PSUs, and if I wanted to but another one, it's what I would buy.

Can you show that PSUs from Seasonic are bad?

12 minutes ago, DutchGuyTom said:

The OP never specified that he is looking for a PSU that doesn't let him down. He was looking for opinions on two specific PSU models which you completely disregarded. Your response wasn't dumb, just lazy.

Let me quote him: "basically im looking for a powersupply that wont be bad pretty much, i dont want to be let down".

He was also asking about two specific models and I didn't say anything about those because I've never heared of either, which means that I can't say anything about them he can't find out from doing his own research.

33 minutes ago, heimdali said:

Most company have a wide range of products targeted at different segments, at different price point, and varying quality. Making a blanket statement like "get a seasonic" without looking at his entire options may end up causing the person who you are helping to get a budget line up from Seasonic, when they could have gotten a high-end option from another company. That's why it is best to recommend a specific model. Also, depending on the region, prices can greatly differ, where certain brands are price much higher than other competitors. There was this one time I was able to recommend a Super Flower build Sentey Golden Steel 650w for the same price as a Seasonic M12II-B 620w in Argentina or Brazil and the Sentey was a VASTLY superior unit (LLC+DC-DC vs double forward+group regulation design: the former being superior).

33 minutes ago, heimdali said:

While I could make a few example, that would just cause unneeded FUD toward the company. They do typically sell reliable power supplies. So do other manufacturers like Delta, CWT, HighPower, ATNG, FSP, Flextronic, SuperFlower, etc.

39 minutes ago, FEAR_malik said:

i havent purchased anything yet thats more like a draft but do you think getting a new zen 3 ryzen thats coming out soon and a 3070 rtx would be good?

yup, something along those lines. If you main concern is gaming I'd go with something like a 3080 and 5600 instead

30 minutes ago, heimdali said:

True, just because a manufacturer has been around for a long time doesn't necessarily mean that what they make is good.  In this case, it's some indication that what a manufacturer that makes nothing but PSUs must be doing something right or they wouldn't be around anymore.  Check out their website and you will notice that they make PSUs for all kinds of applications and not only for gaming computers.  That may tell you that they know what they're doing.  I have one of their PSUs in my server, and it's been running for 3 years, it's power efficient and makes no noise.  Do your own research, check out reviews and whatever information you can find.

I'm not recommending or suggesting something out of nothing or because a manufacturer has been around for a long time.  I suggested Seasonic because I think they make good PSUs, and if I wanted to but another one, it's what I would buy.

More or less all of them. All their budget ones come witha a wide array of problems, and stuff like the focus can shut off during heavy load. There's much better for the price. Ask LukeSavenije (https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/554361-lukesavenije/) for more info. By Model> Brand, I mean Don't reccomend a certain brand. That's like telling somebody Corsair makes fine PSUs and then they go with a txm or cxm. Sure, some of their psus like the CX and RMx are fine, but not all of them.

5 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

yup, something along those lines. If you main concern is gaming I'd go with something like a 3080 and 5600 instead

thanks! appreciate your help and thoughts! im thinking of sticking with the ryzen 7 for the general multitasking and maybe even streaming and youtube!

5 minutes ago, quan289 said:

Most company have a wide range of products targeted at different segments, at different price point, and varying quality. Making a blanket statement like "get a seasonic" without looking at his entire options may end causing the person who you are helping to get a budget line up from Seasonic, when they could have gotten a high-end option from another company. Depending on the region, prices can greatly differ. There was this one time I was able to recommend a Super Flower build Sentey Golden Steel 650w for the same price as a Seasonic M12II-B 620w in Argentina or Brazil and the Sentey was a VASTLY superior unit (LLC+DC-DC vs double forward+group regulation design: the former being superior).

While I could make a few example, that would just cause unneeded FUD toward the company.

Ok, if you want to spend a couple days or weeks on it to do the full research for the OP not only considering all PSUs that are being or were manufactured and would deliver sufficient power but also figure out what is locally and by ordering and via sites like ebay and craigslist or the local equivalent available to him, go ahead and do it for him.

The OP didn't say how much he wants to spend on a PSU.  He suggests 80+ Gold models rather than more efficient models.  Have you researched how much he pays for electricity and all other relevant factors and done the math to figure out if he should rather go for more efficient models or not?

Obviously there are lots of different PSUs that have different TCOs.  The OP can always check out Seasonics web site or the info about other manufacturers to see which models they make and figure out what they cost, and he knows best what he likes.  Maybe he wants to be environmentally friendly and becoming aware of more power efficient models could be important for him even if the TCO may be higher --- or not.  Or perhaps he doesn't like modular PSUs, etc..

I'm just not doing his homework for him.  I only said I'd buy Seasonic.  It is a manufacturer that's worthwhile to consider and it's up to him to do that or not.

25 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

More or less all of them. All their budget ones come witha a wide array of problems, and stuff like the focus can shut off during heavy load. There's much better for the price. Ask LukeSavenije (https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/554361-lukesavenije/) for more info. By Model> Brand, I mean Don't reccomend a certain brand. That's like telling somebody Corsair makes fine PSUs and then they go with a txm or cxm. Sure, some of their psus like the CX and RMx are fine, but not all of them.

Ok, then I will do more research before suggesting any particular PSU or manufacturer of PSUs.

1 hour ago, heimdali said:

Ok, if you want to spend a couple days or weeks on it to do the full research for the OP not only considering all PSUs that are being or were manufactured and would deliver sufficient power but also figure out what is locally and by ordering and via sites like ebay and craigslist or the local equivalent available to him, go ahead and do it for him.

The OP didn't say how much he wants to spend on a PSU.  He suggests 80+ Gold models rather than more efficient models.  Have you researched how much he pays for electricity and all other relevant factors and done the math to figure out if he should rather go for more efficient models or not?

Obviously there are lots of different PSUs that have different TCOs.  The OP can always check out Seasonics web site or the info about other manufacturers to see which models they make and figure out what they cost, and he knows best what he likes.  Maybe he wants to be environmentally friendly and becoming aware of more power efficient models could be important for him even if the TCO may be higher --- or not.  Or perhaps he doesn't like modular PSUs, etc..

I'm just not doing his homework for him.  I only said I'd buy Seasonic.  It is a manufacturer that's worthwhile to consider and it's up to him to do that or not.

Hmm, I was just replying to your not understanding what he meant by model>brand, which the main point was : "Most company have a wide range of products targeted at different segments, at different price point, and varying quality." That knowledge of an unit's quality isn't something you going to get simply by looking at the manufacturer's website. You need to either have prior knowledge or have to do research (which I did imply that there had been reported issues with even Seasonic PSUs in the past - which may or may not had been fix). Even if they do research, it doesn't mean much if they don't understand it which is more than likely why they are here.

Unless what they are doing / getting is bad, I would advised him based on what they had already given me. He asked about two specific unit. I don't need to do weeks of research when he is talking about a CWT GPS based PSU (Deepcool DQ-ST) and HighPower 810 based PSU (InWin PB), that are both gold units at the ~$120 AUD price point, where a 650w Seasonic gold unit is the Focus Gold seem to be priced at ~$155 AUD - making it a poor value in comparison to the InWin PB. As well as the Seasonic S12III 650 is not an option either, as it's a budget option that's bronze rated. That wasn't even one minute...let alone days or weeks.

1 hour ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

and stuff like the focus can shut off during heavy load

Good PSU's are designed to shut down if they are overloaded beyond a certain point. ;)

But yes the Focus has had some issues with certain graphics cards, depending on the exact model of GPU and model year of the PSU.

Now with the RTX 3000 series. 3080's and 3090's some PSUs are having problems, still waiting for more reputable information from multiple reputable sources however.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

2 hours ago, quan289 said:

Hmm, I was just replying to your not understanding what he meant by model>brand, which the main point was : "Most company have a wide range of products targeted at different segments, at different price point, and varying quality." That knowledge of an unit's quality isn't something you going to get simply by looking at the manufacturer's website. You need to either have prior knowledge or have to do research (which I did imply that there had been reported issues with even Seasonic PSUs in the past - which may or may not had been fix). Even if they do research, it doesn't mean much if they don't understand it which is more than likely why they are here.

Unless what they are doing / getting is bad, I would advised him based on what they had already given me. He asked about two specific unit. I don't need to do weeks of research when he is talking about a CWT GPS based PSU (Deepcool DQ-ST) and HighPower 810 based PSU (InWin PB), that are both gold units at the ~$120 AUD price point, where a 650w Seasonic gold unit is the Focus Gold seem to be priced at ~$155 AUD - making it a poor value in comparison to the InWin PB. As well as the Seasonic S12III 650 is not an option either, as it's a budget option that's bronze rated. That wasn't even one minute...let alone days or weeks.

I'm always assuming that people are doing their own research and don't just buy something because someone suggests something.

I'm not in Australia, so I don't know where people there buy their PSUs, whats available to them locally and what factors may be relevant to them.  Also something that costs more to buy than something comparable doesn't make it a 'poor value' just because of that, and you seem to be ignoring other factors like I have mentioned.

You would be quite surprised then. There have been few occasion in the past an individual would disregard any valuable feedback and went with a product that they ended up regretting. Two of them was someone who blew $2000+ on a laptop that was not suited for their needs, where they end up selling at a major lost a few months later. Let's not forget there are people who made a purchase, asked whether or not their purchase was good, and ended up yelling at people because it wasn't the answer they had wanted...

I would have thought that me being able to identify the manufacturer / platform of an unit and the price point of each of them shows that I'm somewhat familiar of the Australian market, that I'm able to dictate a product's value - includes units other brands that are based on the same platform as the Seasonic Focus Gold I had mentioned.

It's one thing to say that it is ideal to recommend a product based on an unit by unit basis, rather a general brand recommendation (as the latter for some reason have a tendency cause people to assume that as along as it's that brand, any of their product is ok to use). It's another thing to tell me to analyzed his DC power draw at various of operating loads, at various time of the day, find the ideal efficiency range of his system, calculate his AC power draw, and finally used those figure to calculate electricity bill. It's like you took what I'd said and took it to the extreme.

Anyways, since you are unfamiliar with the AU market and don't have a specific unit to recommend, there's no point continuing this.

____

@FEAR_malik If you want to look at other options, feel free to ask. Here's another price aggregator that you can used. https://www.staticice.com.au/index.html

When helping others from the AU, I find that it give me more results that PCPartPicker may have missed (of course, there are times that PCPP caught a good deal that StaticICE didn't, so it's best to used both.

4 minutes ago, quan289 said:

You would be quite surprised then. There have been few occasion in the past an individual would disregard any valuable feedback and went with a product that they ended up regretting. Two of them was someone who blew $2000+ on a laptop that was not suited for their needs, where they end up selling at a major lost a few months later. Let's not forget there are people who made a purchase, asked whether or not their purchase was good, and ended up yelling at people because it wasn't the answer they had wanted...

I would have thought that me being able to identify the manufacturer / platform of an unit and the price point of each of them shows that I'm somewhat familiar of the Australian market, that I'm able to dictate a product's value - includes units other brands that are based on the same platform as the Seasonic Focus Gold I had mentioned.

It's one thing to say that it is ideal to recommend a product based on an unit by unit basis, rather a general brand recommendation (as the latter for some reason have a tendency cause people to assume that as along as it's that brand, any of their product is ok to use). It's another thing to tell me to analyzed his DC power draw at various of operating loads, at various time of the day, find the ideal efficiency range of his system, calculate his AC power draw, and finally used those figure to calculate electricity bill. It's like you took what I'd said and took it to the extreme.

Anyways, since you are unfamiliar with the AU market and don't have a specific unit to recommend, there's no point continuing this.

____

@FEAR_malik If you want to look at other options, feel free to ask. Here's another price aggregator that you can used. https://www.staticice.com.au/index.html

When helping others from the AU, I find that it give me more results that PCPartPicker may have missed (of course, there are times that PCPP caught a good deal that StaticICE didn't, so it's best to used both.

first of all thanks, i appreciate your advice and thoughts. this very  well thought out and the link you have submitted is actually quite useful im going to be continuing my research thanks alot!