Can my Dell charger charge my phone?

tikker
Go to solution Solved by fordy_rounds,

Absolutely. It always starts at 5V, and increases to the higher voltages only after a negotiation with the device being charged.

And as for current, think of current rating as an upper limit, not a guarantee. In other words, a 5V/3A charger will provide 3A only if the load device (your computer/phone) needs it; it won't push 3A on a device that only needs 2, but it can provide 3A to a device that needs it. Thus, you can always use a power supply that's rated for higher current than your device, but not one that's lower. (Voltage, on the other hand, must match; if it doesn't, you risk under-powering if it's too low or boom if it's too high.)

Sorry for the really dumb question, but I'd like to confirm before I blow up my phone. The USB-C charger of my Dell XPS 13 7390 says  OUTPUT 5V/9V/15V/20V ⎓ 3A/3A/3A/2.5A

So before I burn down my office, this means I should be able to use it to charge my phone (Samsung Galaxy S10e) right? That came with a 5V/2A charger.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Absolutely. It always starts at 5V, and increases to the higher voltages only after a negotiation with the device being charged.

And as for current, think of current rating as an upper limit, not a guarantee. In other words, a 5V/3A charger will provide 3A only if the load device (your computer/phone) needs it; it won't push 3A on a device that only needs 2, but it can provide 3A to a device that needs it. Thus, you can always use a power supply that's rated for higher current than your device, but not one that's lower. (Voltage, on the other hand, must match; if it doesn't, you risk under-powering if it's too low or boom if it's too high.)

1 hour ago, Awesome84 said:

Yes you can! Give a look at this.

1 hour ago, fordy_rounds said:

Cool. I just wanted to triple check it would work. I plugged it in and fast-charged normally. One less charger to carry around.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB