TYGR 300R Comparison

Coopermar

Hey everyone. After using 2013 Astro A40s for the last 6 years, they finally broke. After asking around on here, I was recommended the Beyerdynamic TYGR 300r. They came yesterday and I have been using them since, probably around 10 hours of use so far. I have a few observations/questions.

I'm struggling to find MASSIVE differences between the two. I'm starting to think maybe there's something wrong with my ears. With all the massive talk about how "gaming" headsets are garbage, I thought there would be big differences? Is there something I'm missing? Where should I be looking for differences? I have been going back and forth between the two and am struggling to find any difference besides the soundstage.

The headphones kind of hurt. I don't think it's the sound itself. I know some people mentioned that the 990s had midrange that was painful, but the 300Rs were supposed to fix that. I'm only running them at like 70% volume because that seems to help, but both my jaw and my inner ear hurt after wearing the headset for more than an hour.

I'm honestly considering returning them and buying the gen 4 a40s(I have the gen 1s). With a 25% discount code I have, the a40s + mixamp will be less than the 300R's by themselves.

if they are not comfortable and  you dont notice any real difference anhd it actually pains you to use as a person who probably reccomended you to get the tygr's your better off just returning them and grab what you know you will like.  but I would emplore you to give them a week or two of listening and using them as your ears will adjust and get used to it you might find the nuances that make them unique.  but if nothing changes return them and get the a40's

On 10/4/2020 at 8:28 PM, rice guru said:

if they are not comfortable and  you dont notice any real difference anhd it actually pains you to use as a person who probably reccomended you to get the tygr's your better off just returning them and grab what you know you will like.  but I would emplore you to give them a week or two of listening and using them as your ears will adjust and get used to it you might find the nuances that make them unique.  but if nothing changes return them and get the a40's

Yea I think you recommended them to me. I want to like them so badly, because they feel more quality than the astros. Could you recommend some music for me to compare the two with?

7 hours ago, Coopermar said:

Yea I think you recommended them to me. I want to like them so badly, because they feel more quality than the astros. Could you recommend some music for me to compare the two with?

Here are some test tracks that I typically use

It's generally best to test with music you know and are familiar with though

That's normal the new headphone doesn't sound nice right out of the box. I have many headphones that didn't sound nice right out of the box, bass was less fun and treble a bit fatiguing. After a few days to weeks, they start to improve and sounds much better. There is something for that: brain breaking-in or the headphones has to breaking in first.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280